THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Old 01-27-2023, 11:01 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Calm down, folks. This is a discussion about a cars and coffee event.

The Following User Says Thank You to Stuart For This Useful Post:
Old 01-27-2023, 11:48 AM
Ultimate Warrior

We had the same thing with a long-standing Cruise Night in the Park in Delaware City, DE. We were forced to have everyone sign in and show proof of insurance by the local head cop. After the season was over and in the Spring for the next year, we said no. It's not worth the aggravation to keep doing it. It all started over a drunk woman and her drunk boyfriend on a Harley. He was on the back teaching her how to drive his bike. One of the two gassed the engine leaving a stop sign while making a right turn and hit a car (not a part of our show). The 2 on the Harley didn't survive. The woman in the car did, but only because the guy went thru the center of her windshield.

We went to another location, and all has been good... until I caught a drunk at the new place trying to do a burn out in the parking lot, almost hitting a couple of cars. We banned him and told him to never return. As we did with the idiots doing burn outs on the street and racing up the street full-bore. A 25mph street on less. I'm not longer a part of it, thank God.

So, I don't blame you one-bit Mark. It's best to walk away and if someone else decides to pick it up you don't have any worries if something happens. It's all on their shoulders.

Gary
Get in, ShuT Up, Hang On!
Member of the Baltimore Built Brotherhood
MY GTO built 4th Week of March 1966
"Crusin' Is Not A Crime"
Keep yer stick on the ice.
Old 01-27-2023, 01:16 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLBIII View Post
You cannot tell if an AR15/M16 rifle is full auto by the bolt carrier. A lot of semi-auto AR15's have a "full auto" bolt carrier. When the M16 is used in training and some competitions there is a stamped metal piece that is sandwiched between the lower and the pistol grip that will prevent rotation of the selector past semi. It's similar in design to the tab put in Firebird Qjet carb linkage that only allowed them to open 90%. There's a good chance that our Navy vet may have fired one of these M16's in qualifications with the full auto blocking tab in place.
I run M16 BCGs in all my ARs.

1970 Trans Am RAIII 4 speed
1971 Trans Am 5.3 LM7
1977 Trans Am W72 Y82
1987 Grand National
The Following User Says Thank You to 72projectbird For This Useful Post:
Old 01-28-2023, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuart View Post
Calm down, folks. This is a discussion about a cars and coffee event.
Hi Staurt. I was the senior tech at one of the well known aftermarket AR trigger manufacturers. Part of my job was to install, repair and answer tech calls about our products. Since this was the lobby section I figured it would be OK to comment on the workings of the fire control group found in M16/AR15 type rifles and to explain how one could believe their M16 was a semi-auto rifle using a comparison to the Qjet linkage. I didn't intend to derail the conversation or violate any forum rules. Thank you.

Old 01-28-2023, 01:37 PM
Ultimate Warrior

This morning was a third of the normal turnout, mostly the same old Porsches and Corvettes. Handed out a few "extra" passes to cars parked outside.

Old 01-28-2023, 03:23 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Seems like that’s how they wanted it to be back to their core group. My guess is they wanted to get rid of the kids and the hoopties. Just like all the shows 10-15 years back getting overrun with rice grinders I can remember every body wanting them not to be aloud at the shows.

Old 01-28-2023, 05:45 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by grandam1979 View Post
Seems like that’s how they wanted it to be back to their core group. My guess is they wanted to get rid of the kids and the hoopties. Just like all the shows 10-15 years back getting overrun with rice grinders I can remember every body wanting them not to be aloud at the shows.
That's not going to help the hobby! Like it or not, some rice grinders, and other cars we might not want to own, ride in or see are the future. I have students in my engine building class from age 17 to 82. Quite a range and it works out much better than most would imagine. From a Model A flathead to a couple LS engines and everything in between. The bottom line is respect. If you have ever watched Arnie Beswick talk with his fans, he asks lots of questions and expresses genuine interest in whatever project a young person may be into. Our "Cars and Coffee" events have all kinds of cars show up.

The Following User Says Thank You to mgarblik For This Useful Post:
Old 01-28-2023, 06:40 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I’m not saying it’s the right thing to do just that it happens.

Old 01-28-2023, 07:25 PM
Ultimate Warrior

A lot of those higher end Rice Grinders would pimp slap most cars at a C&C event.

1970 Trans Am RAIII 4 speed
1971 Trans Am 5.3 LM7
1977 Trans Am W72 Y82
1987 Grand National
Old 01-28-2023, 07:33 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by grandam1979 View Post
I’m not saying it’s the right thing to do just that it happens.
Didn't mean to imply.

Old 01-28-2023, 07:42 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I am waiting to see what next week will bring - if the turn out will be as dismal as this week.

Old 01-29-2023, 10:19 AM

Default A sad C&C

Wow.
The "image of Cars and Coffee is to show rare and amazing cars". Only in the mind of the person who wrote that flyer. The ethos of C&C is an unstructured gathering [as best as possible in this day and age] of people who like cars, deliberately NOT restricting it.
Wankers.
My eternal project (the '71) gets taken occasionally, and I am happy to say people talk to me. Me, I'm fanboying over the Singer Porsche that has shown up.

My poor understanding the whole C&C phenom can be traced to Crystal Cove and before that, Donut Derelicts. A pic from a 2006 DD meetup- eclectic.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8946.jpg
Views:	233
Size:	47.6 KB
ID:	606276  

The Following User Says Thank You to KenB For This Useful Post:
Old 01-30-2023, 04:37 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Scarebird, it's got to be like here on the East coast. It all depends on the weather. And we had very poor Spring, Summer, and Fall here last year due to rain. Is it the heat out there that screws things up out there? I've been thru Albuquerque many times back in the 80s. Even in those snowstorms you get. It was a scary deal coming down the "hill" from the East a few times. But other than that, it was always a great view. Tho the west side was a pain coming out of the valley and climbing up that "hill" hauling 79,500 pounds of freight. Yeah, do I miss it, but not the snow you guys got.

I always had fun with the golfers out near I-40 heading back East. I blew the airhorn one time with a guy just making his swing on the neatest T to the highway. He was pissed. LOL

Gary
Get in, ShuT Up, Hang On!
Member of the Baltimore Built Brotherhood
MY GTO built 4th Week of March 1966
"Crusin' Is Not A Crime"
Keep yer stick on the ice.
Old 02-04-2023, 12:37 PM
Ultimate Warrior

sigh.

Old 02-04-2023, 02:03 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Donut Derlics has been going on since 1985,I have been going for 20 plus years,was there at 6 AM this AM.It seems to last.People start getting there about 5:30 and is pretty much over at 7:30 -8 as the businesses are stating to open.Was active through the pandemic.Has out lasted ALL the Cars and Coffees in So Cal.They have a website and I think a Facebook page.Tom

The Following User Says Thank You to tom s For This Useful Post:
Old 04-08-2023, 04:10 PM
Ultimate Warrior

The Jefferson CnC is just about choked out. 80% Porsches and Corvettes.

Some of the "refugees" that they would not let in now show up at a parking lot on the Westside. People seem happier there.

Old 04-08-2023, 07:09 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Our local C&C events are small and infrequent but still going on.
A few weekends back the lots were at capacity at one of them.
This is 100% FREE open to ALL MAKES & MODELS and to top it off they offer FREE Coffee and Donuts

Old 04-08-2023, 08:31 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Was at Donuts this AM,JAMED.Cars were parking in the lanes,sometimes your blocked from leaving.Tom

The Following User Says Thank You to tom s For This Useful Post:
Old 04-08-2023, 10:08 PM
Senior Chief

Instagram page for Donut Derelicts in Southern California:

https://www.instagram.com/donutderelicts/?hl=en

Old 04-08-2023, 10:29 PM
Ultimate Warrior

If possible, these things should just always take place at race tracks. Business for the track, and a place for people to race if they want without it being illegal.

https://www.youtube.com/@CatfishMotorsports