THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Old 03-15-2017, 07:45 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO68FXSTC98 View Post
You guys are crazy Smokie and the Bandit = Sally Field = better movie.

Hmmmm, 70 GTO vs Sally Fields, uhm hey look a squirrel

Old 03-15-2017, 08:51 PM

Tough one. Both movies seemed to be on a lot during my teens in the early '90's. Mostly on the network TV weekend afternoon/evening movie. A decent amount of slap shot's humor gets edited on network TV. Still crank up the volume to 11 when Paul Newman does maybe a K Turn and accelerates up a hill just before the last game toward the end of the movie. '70 Goat looked mean with Torque Thrusts and N50 looking rear tires. Can't go wrong with all the car scenes/stunts in SATB either and who didn't want a girlfriend like Frog that would whistle and flip off a state trooper to get your trucker friend outta trouble. It's a push.

68 Mustang FB-Green/Black (Bullitt)
Old 03-15-2017, 09:53 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Slap Shot is my pick for sure.
When we were young we used to watch it to get up for games.
A few weeks ago the NHL network had a special on Slap Shot turning 40
Some really good interviews, amazing that it wasn't very far from reality.

Old 03-15-2017, 10:48 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I don't like the '70 GTO...So prefer Sally in '77...

1977 Trans Am, 400/M21 Black/Gold Bandit. 44K actual miles

2017 Sierra SLT 1500 Z71 4X4

2019 Canyon SLT Crew 4X4

Old 03-16-2017, 03:19 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Paul Newman said Slap shot was the most fun he ever had doing a movie. I choose Slap shot over Smokey. Sally Field is the only reason to watch Smokey.

Old 03-16-2017, 07:23 AM
Ultimate Warrior

In HS I did a memorable movie review for Slap Shot in my English class. Wasn't a great student but my title got rave reviews from my teacher who read it to class.

It was called "What the puck". I remember writing that Paul Newman put in an amazing believable performance. Today I still think so too. Not much fake about that movie.

SATB was a fun stunt movie that a dog 77 TA could never really do. I know I drove a few "Bandits". Crap performance to the 70 GTO....

Old 03-16-2017, 11:41 AM

I am going to have to watch slap shot again because that movie did not make an impression on me at all.
I loved Sally in Smokey and the Bandit but what make the entire movie beside the awesome black and gold Trans Am was Jackie Gleason. The one liners from Bufford T. Justice was awesome, in fact I would have loved to hear an all original version without all the dubbing. Sometimes I still try and order a Diablo sandwich and a Dr Pepper at the fast food place.

Sheriff Branford: The fact that you are a sheriff is not germane to the situation.
Buford T. Justice: The gosh darn Germans got nothin' to do with it.
Junior: What did he say?
Buford T. Justice: SHUT UP! ONE SH!T AT A TIME!
Junior: All right.

Old 03-16-2017, 11:51 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Star Wars came out in 1977 so from icon or box office numbers standpoint they are both competing for 1st place loser.

That being said its a toss up.

Smokey and the Bandit was my favorite movie up until I was about 10 (when I discovered The Empire Strikes Back) and of course that Trans Am made a huge impact on me. As an adult, and an avid cinema fan, its hard to ignore the fact that Slapshot has Paul Newman in it. I like Burt and all, but Paul Newman might be the greatest American actor of all time.

Ive definitely seen Smokey and the Bandit more times. And if Im feeling in the mood to watch a Paul Newman movie, its more likley to be Color of Money or The Sting.

https://www.youtube.com/@CatfishMotorsports
Old 03-16-2017, 06:01 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Slapshot shows a scene or two where the guys are drinking from 1976 Schmidt's Bicentenial beercans. That which i was collecting the whole set at the time. Don't seem to have any of those now. Kinda cool for PA beer can collectors.

The Cambria County War Memorial has a wall the lists the events that had gone on there with the dates: Jeff Beck, Zappa, maybe even Jethro Tull, and all those bands that "toured".
Kinda cool when you are walking through to see the Tomahawks play.

Old 03-21-2017, 01:09 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Some great stuff in Slap Shot....when the goalie is getting interviewed at the start and in his French Canadian accent says that a penalty is where "You go and feel shame for 2 minutes"

Old 03-21-2017, 01:48 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 02Hawk View Post
Some great stuff in Slap Shot....when the goalie is getting interviewed at the start and in his French Canadian accent says that a penalty is where "You go and feel shame for 2 minutes"
I don't know about that... every time I get sent to the box words like ****ing bull*** and other descriptions of the ref's eyesight came into account.

funny thing - the GTO was stripped of markings:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0UtFbEHYeq0

Old 03-21-2017, 07:13 AM
Ultimate Warrior

That GTO was recently restored too.

Old 03-21-2017, 07:32 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 02Hawk View Post
Ha! That made me laugh. I think I've seen bits of Slap Shot before, but not the entire movie. That needs to change. I do recall it had a bunch of laughs.

Old 03-23-2017, 01:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigergto View Post
Scenes from Slap Shot were shot at the Utica Memorial Auditorium in my home town. At one time home to the NJ Devils top farm team, now home to the Vancover Canucks top farm team
I lived in Ilion at the time and was an extra in the movie along with a friend of mine. I remember Edward Hanna was the mayor at the time and not that well liked. He walked on the ice to make an announcement before filming began, slipped and fell flat on his butt. Everyone started clapping.

Old 03-23-2017, 07:42 AM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky Racoon View Post
I lived in Ilion at the time and was an extra in the movie along with a friend of mine. I remember Edward Hanna was the mayor at the time and not that well liked. He walked on the ice to make an announcement before filming began, slipped and fell flat on his butt. Everyone started clapping.
That story just brought a smile to my face. Ilion to St Petes, probably a move you don't regret.

Old 01-27-2023, 08:02 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Johnstown car club fella is looking for the original 70 GTO used in the Slap Shot movie. So i sent this article to him:

http://phscollectorcarworld.blogspot...to-reggie.html

So who has the Blue 70 GTO from the Youngbloods hockey movie?

Old 01-27-2023, 11:07 PM
Senior Chief

The Slap Shot GTO was at Norwalk 2 years ago. He won the Editor’s Choice Award and was interviewed by Don Keefe. He drove it down the strip and missed a shift. I talked to the owner afterwards about the car. He said he kept the original damaged fender as a wall hanger. He was contemplating putting Torque thrusts on it, similar to the movie.

The Following User Says Thank You to sprintbird For This Useful Post:
Old 01-28-2023, 11:36 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Boss View Post
Hanson Brothers.
Geez, I didn’t know they played hockey too! 🤣
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	E9A9D8A0-0747-4051-8D36-C53C9D7E4875.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	67.4 KB
ID:	606186  

Old 01-28-2023, 11:56 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Never saw slap shot, dont like Burt, Star War was the movie of 1977 as I remember

Just Say No To 8” Flakes

F ire B irds

🇮🇱
Old 01-28-2023, 12:00 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Half-Inch Stud View Post
Slapshot shows a scene or two where the guys are drinking from 1976 Schmidt's Bicentenial beercans. That which i was collecting the whole set at the time. Don't seem to have any of those now. Kinda cool for PA beer can collectors.
PA beer can collectors? Schmidt was brewed in St. Paul, Minnesota.
The guys portraying the Hanson brothers were from Minnesota as well - David Hanson grew up in St. Paul, and Steve and Jeff Carlson were from Virginia in northern MN.
I liked both movies, although I had a hard time picturing Paul Newman as a hockey player (he was physically fit but his legs were kind of scrawny. )

(by the way, the US Pond Hockey Tournament is going on this weekend, on Lake Nokomis in Minneapolis. The temperature is hovering right around zero degrees F, good weather for the ice. https://www.uspondhockey.com)

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	pond hockey.jpg
Views:	140
Size:	49.1 KB
ID:	606187