Old 04-18-2022, 12:58 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAUL K View Post
I'm not sure if the power level needs to be that high before it becomes "useless" for a street vehicle. A larger CID will help you get the "crazy fast" street car level easier and usually remain more driveable. It's also impressive at the cruise nights to have the "big" engine under the hood. I recall having a bunch of foreign exchange students shocked that I had a 7.6 litre engine in my 80 TA. They had never seen an automobile engine half the size, where ever they were from.
I agree 100% that's why I have been looking into the LSX454. I'm an old Pontiac guy that believes in no substitution for cubes. Owning several big Ponchos and LS's I equate it this way.

Big cubes equals instant power, LS is like a 2 stroke dirt bike, until you get in the powerband it leaves a little to be desired.

1978 Black & Gold T/A [complete 70 Ram Air III (carb to pan) PQ and 12 bolt], fully loaded, deluxe, WS6, T-Top car - 1972 Formula 455HO Ram Air numbers matching Julep Green - 1971 T/A 455, 320 CFM Eheads, RP cam, Doug's headers, Fuel injection, TKX 5 Spd. 12 Bolt 3.73, 4 wheel disc. All A/C cars
Old 04-18-2022, 01:46 PM
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankieT/A View Post
I agree 100% that's why I have been looking into the LSX454. I'm an old Pontiac guy that believes in no substitution for cubes. Owning several big Ponchos and LS's I equate it this way.

Big cubes equals instant power, LS is like a 2 stroke dirt bike, until you get in the powerband it leaves a little to be desired.
Have u owned an ls?

Last edited by Scott Roberts; 04-18-2022 at 02:08 PM.
Old 04-18-2022, 02:18 PM
Suspended

Quote:
Just asking in regards to a recent conversation I had with a buddy. He was yapping about how bad azz LS engines are and they will out power bigger Pontiac engines. I was just wondering if any folks had first hand experience with the bigger engines?

Perfer real world information over Google. I've found Google to lead one to believe the Pontiac 557 block with destruct at three hundred horsepower and be safe to a thousand.... Chit there is even info on Google that says Chicago doesn't have a crime problem.
Do I need to mention Dave Adkins 427ci promod running 5..90' s at 247mph?
Ls for the win...

Old 04-18-2022, 02:33 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Paul,
Even Butler is doing LS's now get with the program...
Quote:
I've been on here a long time and I know Paul's experience with Poncho's BUT if he is building LS's too then he's just stirring the pot because he knows better...

We've been building LS engines from the beginning.. Back in the day we were porting LS heads for three of the largest LS shops in the world. As a matter of fact, during that same time we designed CNC ports for two of those shops we designed a "Pontiac" CNC head for Butler (long before they had interest in commercally building LS engines), we were also machining the CNC ported heads for them.... So we have been with the LS program long before many folks boarded the ship.

I'm not sure why it is "stirring the pot"? Just because I asked on here in regards to large CID LS combos? I for one don't know everything, so I asked. This is the only Website I spend time on and it has an "LS section".

Old 04-18-2022, 02:39 PM
Suspended

Quote:
We've been building LS engines from the beginning.. Back in the day we were porting LS heads for three of the largest LS shops in the world. As a matter of fact, during that same time we designed CNC ports for two of those shops we designed a "Pontiac" CNC head for Butler (long before they had interest in commercally building LS engines), we were also machining the CNC ported heads for them.... So we have been with the LS program long before many folks boarded the ship.

I'm not sure why it is "stirring the pot"? Just because I asked on here in regards to large CID LS combos? I for one don't know everything, so I asked. This is the only Website I spend time on and it has an "LS section".
You're being coy

Old 04-18-2022, 02:52 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Roberts View Post
Have u owned an ls?
Three

1978 Black & Gold T/A [complete 70 Ram Air III (carb to pan) PQ and 12 bolt], fully loaded, deluxe, WS6, T-Top car - 1972 Formula 455HO Ram Air numbers matching Julep Green - 1971 T/A 455, 320 CFM Eheads, RP cam, Doug's headers, Fuel injection, TKX 5 Spd. 12 Bolt 3.73, 4 wheel disc. All A/C cars
Old 04-18-2022, 02:57 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
It just kinda seemed that way with all the back and forth. Hey you're my Johnson lifter guy.

Old 04-18-2022, 03:05 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Well posts two three and four were worthwhile.

Thanks to those who tried to help and have a worthwhile discussion.

EHTTFMF's!!!

Old 04-18-2022, 03:10 PM
Suspended

Quote:
Well posts two three and four were worthwhile.

Thanks to those who tried to help and have a worthwhile discussion.

EHTTFMF's!!!
I'm not that guy...

The Following User Says Thank You to Scott Roberts For This Useful Post:
Old 04-18-2022, 03:13 PM
Suspended

Quote:
It just kinda seemed that way with all the back and forth. Hey you're my Johnson lifter guy.
To the point, you can call several engine builders, including Paul (my suggestion) and Crack 600hp with an smooth idle and maintenance free valve train...

Old 04-18-2022, 04:47 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Good discussion as far as I'm concerned...

Old 04-18-2022, 05:58 PM
Suspended

Quote:
Good discussion as far as I'm concerned...
So what did u gain from it? No need for a big ci engine?

Old 04-18-2022, 06:09 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
So what did u gain from it? No need for a big ci engine?
Hasn't changed my mind at all actually...

Old 04-18-2022, 06:18 PM
Suspended

Quote:
Hasn't changed my mind at all actually...
So what are ur goals? 600hp I get... what else?

Old 04-18-2022, 07:33 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
So what are ur goals? 600hp I get... what else?
Low end power...makes for nice drivability. One of my LS's, granted its a 6.0 L96 with a Cammotion cam, could use a little more low end power but will rip your head off above 4000RPM and pulls like freight train all the way to 7000. Its actually explosive in that range. Like flicking a switch. Its not a pig below 4K but it sure isn't linear either. No complaints about power overall. I think I'm good for about 450-500 ponies at the crank.

Old 04-18-2022, 07:44 PM
Ultimate Warrior

The LS1 engines have a huge hole in the torque curve that needs to be addressed. That is why they respond well to a gear ratio change and the automatics like a higher stall converter.

Old 04-18-2022, 07:46 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
The LS1 engines have a huge hole in the torque curve that needs to be addressed. That is why they respond well to a gear ratio change and the automatics like a higher stall converter.
All the same problems the DZ302 had.

Old 04-18-2022, 08:24 PM
Suspended

Quote:
All the same problems the DZ302 had.
I get the Hi rpm range but it's, not the 302... again, what is ur goal? Burn the tires leaving a car show...? If u had a 600+ hp that planted ur ass at 4500rpm, wound that be a problem?
Mine was nasty at 5k... it would loose traction at 65-70 mph... that problem in ur world.?
Honestly, I don't understand you or ur goal...

Old 04-19-2022, 02:35 PM
Ultimate Warrior

No I have never built an LS.

4.165" Bore, 4.6" Stroke = 501.4 ci

But 9.75" deck height means using something like a 6.35" rod with a 1.1" Compression height piston.

While I can see it making good HP I do have to question if there will be premature ware.

Stan

David Vizard & Stan Weiss' IOP / Flow / Induction Optimization - Cam Selection Software
http://www.magneticlynx.com/DV
Download FREE 14 Trial IOP / Flow Software
http://www.magneticlynx.com/DV/Flow_..._Day_Trial.php
Pontiac Pump Gas List
http://www.magneticlynx.com/carfor/pont_gas.htm
Using PMD Block and Heads List
http://www.magneticlynx.com/carfor/pont_pmd.htm
Old 04-19-2022, 03:43 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Any LS fans have experience on the permance of big displacement LS engines?

Pros/Cons?
Paul,
I do have to ask. Who's heads do you use on your LS builds?

Stan

David Vizard & Stan Weiss' IOP / Flow / Induction Optimization - Cam Selection Software
http://www.magneticlynx.com/DV
Download FREE 14 Trial IOP / Flow Software
http://www.magneticlynx.com/DV/Flow_..._Day_Trial.php
Pontiac Pump Gas List
http://www.magneticlynx.com/carfor/pont_gas.htm
Using PMD Block and Heads List
http://www.magneticlynx.com/carfor/pont_pmd.htm