THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Old 08-27-2022, 10:09 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Thanks for the kind words!

On the same subject above (deer hunting), there are several land owners in my area that are OBSESSED with keeping big bucks on their property and will go to great lengths to keep others from harvesting them.

One in particular has deep pockets and buys up every single farm that comes up for sale attached to or close to what he already has. Then posts the properties with No Trespassing signs at every access point and not much more than 100 yards apart on all road frontages.

IF you are stupid enough to wonder on to their property they will very quickly show up and very unpolitely ask you to leave.

I got ran off by them about 25 years ago hunting a small section of property close to them. I was invited to do a deer drive by some family members who lived near there and they had hunted it for many years. No one knew that about a week prior to the hunt it was sold and they didn't even have it posted yet. I was met on an old logging road by the new landowner and he was very unfriendly, right to the point, but didn't block anyone in, brandish any firearms, shoot rounds in or near us, etc.

The host for the deer drive tried talking to him and apologized for the infringement , they guy didn't want to hear any of it and just told him to gather up your people and exit stage left and never come back.

I'm really good with all that, it was an honest mistake on our part, but on a personal note they guy was a total PRICK. Things like that (missunderstandings) can be handled in a much nicer manner and everyone still leaving and never coming back, etc, but leaving on good terms without all the being a total arshole about it.......IMHO.

I've ran people off here a few times as I no longer allow hunting, and even had a few stop and ask permission to harvest a deer they shot that made it to my thicket (deer sanctuary). I will actually help them locate the animal and pull it to the road for them with the Quad or side-by-side vs having them tromping all over my property. We end the encounter on good terms. For crying out loud folks they are just deer, folks love to hunt them, and cars and coyotes kill at least 20 times the number hunters do anyhow. There are also PLENTY of does out there to grow more of them........FWIW.......

PS: the reason I no longer allow hunting is not because I'm trying to save all the deer for myself. I could care less and they are thick as cockroaches anyhow. I used to allow hunting, but had hunters shoot other animals, like red foxes and other small game which I'm trying to protect since their numbers are dwindling (too many coyotes). I've also had them cut live trees because they blocked their shooting lanes. NEVER cut a live tree without asking the landowner. Every one of those little Oaks or Hard Maples you cut down just snatched $300 or so from my grand kids College fund in 20 years or so........

73 Ventura, SOLD 455, 3740lbs, 11.30's at 120mph, 1977 Pontiac Q-jet, HO intake, HEI, 10" converter, 3.42 gears, DOT's, 7.20's at 96mph and still WAY under the roll bar rule. Best ET to date 7.18 at 97MPH (1/8th mile),
The Following User Says Thank You to Cliff R For This Useful Post:
Old 08-27-2022, 10:36 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Most of the neighbors around here having kind of a standing understanding that you take a deer on the neighbors land you share the meat, that's about it. Most land has property markers but no posted signs.
I haven't hunted my land in 20 years, I'd LOVE it if one of the neighbors took one and gave me some free meat

Some people get real weird about hunting, I've seen it cause more than one problem between friends.

Old 08-27-2022, 11:30 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I don't harvest too many big bucks these days, I prefer to let them get bigger and mostly just interested in filling the freezer.......and the small ones taste better.

We are LOADED up with monster bucks in this area, so it not only makes hunters stretch the limits a bit they often ignore property lines some and others go to GREAT lengths to keep anyone from killing big bucks that in and around their properties........Here's one in the center of my thicket (sanctuary) on the feeder. Disregard the date and time, that feature is broken on that trail camera, that pic was taken in the Fall of 2020.....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	109.jpg
Views:	1136
Size:	116.0 KB
ID:	597299  

73 Ventura, SOLD 455, 3740lbs, 11.30's at 120mph, 1977 Pontiac Q-jet, HO intake, HEI, 10" converter, 3.42 gears, DOT's, 7.20's at 96mph and still WAY under the roll bar rule. Best ET to date 7.18 at 97MPH (1/8th mile),
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Cliff R For This Useful Post:
Old 08-27-2022, 11:48 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Wow nice buck!! I've had a LOT of trespassing incidents at my hunting spots in Md & De over the years but nothing violent. Most people get the message with a friendly warning or having their stands taken down and thrown over the property line. Blue paint and signs work well if they're kept fresh, DNR won't lift a finger here unless your lines are marked

Old 08-27-2022, 02:43 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Here is one taken less than 2 miles from my place......

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0554.jpg
Views:	1127
Size:	44.4 KB
ID:	597311  

The Following User Says Thank You to Cliff R For This Useful Post:
Old 08-29-2022, 10:14 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

[QUOTE=Cliff R;6366332]... and had a zero tolerance for trespassers.

/QUOTE]

My first thought here is this: If you have been stolen from/had stuff vandalized dozens of times and the cops just act like "it's insured", then zero tolerance is very well justified. Not sure if that is part of the equation here. But, it certainly could be a piece of the puzzle.

Old 08-30-2022, 02:42 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Having zero tolerance for someone ON your property is completely different than having zero tolerance for someone on their own property just because it's near your property.

All of this reminds me of a story from the early 80s that got international attention. In Skidmore, Missouri. There was a guy who terrorized two or three counties for years and years. He was out on bail for attempted murder of an elderly grocer in town who had stopped one of his kids from shoplifting from his store. Actually fired a shotgun at the guy and struck him in the neck.
When he entered town with an M1 and started drinking in the town bar and threatening people who might dare to testify against him several gunmen gathered outside and mowed him down in broad daylight as he pulled out of the parking space.There were many witnesses but 'no one saw a thing'. He had been behaving this way for decades and they'd simply had enough of being scared.
To this day no one has ever talked.

Old 08-30-2022, 05:09 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Reid View Post
Having zero tolerance for someone ON your property is completely different than having zero tolerance for someone on their own property just because it's near your property.

All of this reminds me of a story from the early 80s that got international attention. In Skidmore, Missouri. There was a guy who terrorized two or three counties for years and years. He was out on bail for attempted murder of an elderly grocer in town who had stopped one of his kids from shoplifting from his store. Actually fired a shotgun at the guy and struck him in the neck.
When he entered town with an M1 and started drinking in the town bar and threatening people who might dare to testify against him several gunmen gathered outside and mowed him down in broad daylight as he pulled out of the parking space.There were many witnesses but 'no one saw a thing'. He had been behaving this way for decades and they'd simply had enough of being scared.
To this day no one has ever talked.
There was a movie made about this way back when. Brian Dennehy played the part of the town bully. Excellent film, and accurate.

Old 08-30-2022, 05:21 PM
Ultimate Warrior

^^ Exactly. I also have the true crime book that was written about it titled "In Broad Daylight".

Old 08-30-2022, 09:12 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I watched a documentary about it not long ago.

Old 08-31-2022, 04:16 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliff R View Post
I personally don't care if anyone has a "compound" or belongs to a "group", cult, etc, as long as they do as mentioned above...."behave like good neighbors".
I completely agree with this also.

1966 GTO Hardtop - PS 14.84 @ 97mph
Old 09-01-2022, 06:37 PM
Ultimate Warrior

It’s stuff like this that makes people wonder how legit a visit is to guns owners

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=f0LGSyTHPFw

selling turbos and turbo related parts since 2005!
The Following User Says Thank You to turbo69bird For This Useful Post:
Old 10-10-2022, 04:15 PM
Senior Chief

been a while, any updates? Just curious about the aftermath.

64 F-85
72 4-4-2 Mondello's VO Twister II
84 Hurst/Olds #2449
87 Cutlass Salon
54 Olds 88 sedan
Old 10-11-2022, 02:16 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Right after the shooting Law Enforcement moved in for several days and executed search warrants.

When they were finished family, friends and employees backed up to every house on the "compound" and most likely helped themselves to what was left.

Not sure what happened to the mom, but it is rumored that they are returning the guns to her, but I don't know for sure that is true.

I see vehicles at several of the houses on the compound and an older guy has been cutting the grass on a zero turn mower.

They are finishing the fence on the South end of the property to close it in. ODNR forbid them to do this so I don't know who, why, or how they are going to get away with that deal. They are putting in a shorter fence than the 10' high one on the rest of the compound, so maybe ODNR will allow it, not sure?

So far no more drywall screws in any of my tires, which is a good thing. Their legacy ended with a couple of bullets. Not sure who is in line to inherit all the land, houses, business and personal property?......

Old 10-11-2022, 03:52 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Jeez, I thought you were going to say they came back to life or started haunting the neighbors

Old 10-11-2022, 04:23 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I pray that your situation 'heals' itself.A good friends wife and daughter are being 'stalked' suddenly by supposedly a male friend. He has mental issues, off his meds except alcohol ,also. Police and system involved but still going on,apathy from system,'we cant do anymore'.

Old 10-11-2022, 09:33 AM
Senior Chief

Location: Gilroy, California, USA-Garlic Capital of the world!
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by geeteeohguy View Post
There was a movie made about this way back when. Brian Dennehy played the part of the town bully. Excellent film, and accurate.

A lot of youtube videos on the incident, too. Search "Ken Rex McElroy,"

~Jack Handey, Deep Thoughts
Old 10-11-2022, 03:56 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Dillon View Post
A lot of youtube videos on the incident, too. Search "Ken Rex McElroy,"
In Broad Daylight is the name of the 1991 Dennehy film. First rate, like pretty much all of his work.

Old 12-11-2022, 10:26 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Sale coming up for some of their stuff.

Nothing mentioned about the 2100 firearms they ended up removing from the property. It is rumored that they gave them back to the mom but that isn't confirmed.

For sure they had some cool items, the two Chevy Blazers hardly saw any use at all. I only saw the Chevelle out once in all the years I've lived here. The used to drive a late 70's K-5 Blazer, light blue with rust everywhere. I guess they were saving the other two for the after-life!

https://hoffmanauctions.com/upcoming...es_cfid%3D3926

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Cliff R For This Useful Post:
Old 12-11-2022, 05:34 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Jeez, they are going to get some good money for some of those.

Just goes to show you, those vintage car people are crazy