Old 09-24-2021, 10:31 AM

Default 69 GTO Ram Air 3 Air Cleaner Setup

I have a 69 Ram Air 3 Air Cleaner and I want to make sure I hook up the vacuum side of the system correctly. I believe the way to hook it up is run a line from a vacuum port on the intake manifold to one of the two ports on the thermal sensor located in the air cleaner base and then hook up a line from the other port on the sensor and run it to the two autotherm heat diaphragms located inside the ram air hood plate. And when you first start the car do the heat diaphragms initially close and once the intake air temperature is warm they will open?

Thank You
Carousel72TRed

Old 09-24-2021, 11:12 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I'm a visual guy but all this sounds correct.

1969 LeMans Safari 2 seat Wagon
1969 GTO (2 Cvt, 2 Hardtops & Judge Hardtop)
1969 Catalina (3 Cvt’s & a 2dr hardtop)
1969 Ventura 2 Seat Wagon
1969 Executive 4dr Sedan
1969 Bonnie Cvt
1969 Bonnie 3 Seat Wagon (2 of them)
1969 Bonnie Brougham (4dr Hardtop & Cvt)
1969 Grand Prix SJ (2 of them)
1969 2+2 2dr Hardtop (Canadian model)
Old 09-26-2021, 01:16 AM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carousel72TRed View Post
I have a 69 Ram Air 3 Air Cleaner and I want to make sure I hook up the vacuum side of the system correctly. I believe the way to hook it up is run a line from a vacuum port on the intake manifold to one of the two ports on the thermal sensor located in the air cleaner base and then hook up a line from the other port on the sensor and run it to the two autotherm heat diaphragms located inside the ram air hood plate. And when you first start the car do the heat diaphragms initially close and once the intake air temperature is warm they will open?

Thank You
Carousel72TRed
Yes this is the correct hook-up. When cold, the diaphragms in the ram air hood do close to allow heated air from under the hood to enter the carb. I'm not sure what temperature they open at but there is a bimetal strip in the sensor that reacts to temperature. When warm, it bleeds off the vacuum and the diaphragms open. If the diaphragms close when cold, close the hood for a few minutes and then open the hood to see if the diaphragms opened when the motor warmed up.

Old 09-28-2021, 06:31 AM

Thank You RamAir4Jack,

I am having one other problem when I put the air cleaner on and drive the car. I have a Holley 750 carb on the car and the idle goes up. I don't know if it is because the bottom of the pan is hitting or interfering with the throttle linkage (can't tell with air cleaner on). I only put the Ram Air Cleaner on for show at car shows and then drive home with it on. I normally have a 17" Summit Air Cleaner on the car.

Carousel72TRed

Old 09-28-2021, 10:34 AM
Ultimate Warrior

It could be running more efficiently at idle with the OEM air cleaner installed so the idle goes up. The OEM air cleaners from what I've heard offer considerably smoother air flow into the carb than aftermarket units.

Old 11-28-2022, 10:10 PM

I recently acquired a 1970 GTO convertible (which has not yet been delivered) and wish to add Ram Air III. Or it could be RAIV if that made more sense. It has a rebuilt 400 engine and is extremely stock. First I was told that I needed to make the hood scoops functional, and then I was told that I also needed to replace the heads, rear end, carburetor, manifold, headers, radiator, etc. Has anyone done this and can provide suggestions, resources, and costs? BTW, I reside in Denver, which could also be a factor. Yes, I am a newcomer to the forum, and I appreciate the direction.
dinosaur game

Old 11-28-2022, 10:20 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Depends how "correct" you want to make it. If it were me, I'd just add the upper and lower ram air pans, the scoops and the pull cable to open the scoops from inside and keep the engine as is. All of that stuff is available via repro.

'95 Comp T/A #6 M6 - bone stock (pics)
Old 11-28-2022, 11:47 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Leave it alone n drive it ,….

Old 11-29-2022, 12:20 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Thelander View Post
Leave it alone n drive it ,….
Or that Sounds like a nice car as it is.

'95 Comp T/A #6 M6 - bone stock (pics)
Old 11-29-2022, 08:54 AM

Default 1970 GTO Ram Air 3 Conversion

[QUOTE=tulipsoftball;6389710]I recently acquired a 1970 GTO convertible (which has not yet been delivered) and wish to add Ram Air III. Or it could be RAIV if that made more sense. It has a rebuilt 400 engine and is extremely stock. First I was told that I needed to make the hood scoops functional, and then I was told that I also needed to replace the heads, rear end, carburetor, manifold, headers, radiator, etc. Has anyone done this and can provide suggestions, resources, and costs? BTW, I reside in Denver, which could also be a factor. Yes, I am a newcomer to the forum, and I appreciate the direction.
[url=https://dinosaur-game.io]dinosaur gameQUOTE]
If your car is a numbers matching car I would leave it as is. Finding an original 70 Ram Air hood and all the accessories if you can find one is going to cost you big $. You can go to Wallace Racing on line to look up engine block and head casting numbers. PY on line forum also has a for sale section.
Carousel72TRed

Old 11-29-2022, 10:57 AM

I am having one other problem when I put the air cleaner on and drive the car. I have a Holley 750 carb on the car and the idle goes up. I don't know if it is because the bottom of the pan is hitting or interfering with the throttle linkage (can't tell with air cleaner on). I only put the Ram Air Cleaner on for show at car shows and then drive home with it on. I normally have a 17" Summit Air Cleaner on the car.
I think the 70 RA base had a bump for Holley clearance where as the 69 didnt. Might be causing some linkage interference.

The Following User Says Thank You to Big Bear For This Useful Post: