Interior TECH Upholstery, Carpet, Dash, Headliner...

Old 12-20-2022, 05:56 PM
Senior Chief

Default 68 Firebird Deluxe Door Panel Repairs

Once the vinyl on the deluxe door panels has cracked is there any way to repair it?

I also have a couple of spots where the vinyl has broken off leaving the foam underneath exposed.

Or is the only option to get reproduction panels?

Thanks in advance.

Old 12-20-2022, 07:15 PM
Senior Chief

I bought and installed the new ones, but I saved the originals as patterns for custom panels one day. There is no way to form 1 piece of vinyl over the panel and armrest area. But, I think I can make upper and lower panels with panel board and vinyl. Then make a separate armrest cover similar to C3 corvette armrest repair kits.
That said the repop panels look beautiful but they require a lot of work and mods. The foam is rigid and the thickness is inconsistent, therefore the emblem studs are too short, door lock ferrule is too short, plastic handle bezels require a lot of trimming. Lots of mods to make the panels fit. The carpet comes preglued, so you have to use a unibit to drill the molding holes to avoid tearing the carpet. Al Knoch is the only company reproducing these panels.

Old 12-21-2022, 10:29 AM

So Ive been meaning to order a set of the AL Knoch Parchment Metallic for sometime now. Probably not smart to wait any longer. Interior pieces seem to have the longest delays. I had noticed in the past that PARTS PLACE lists these on ebay and AL KNOCH does NOT even show them on the website. I tough at one point AK was letting PP market them. Can anybody confirm if the PP ones are in fact Al Knoch panels?
Thanks,
RA

Old 12-21-2022, 04:40 PM
Senior Chief

I assumed (maybe incorrectly) that there were multiple manufacturers on these door panels.
I was going to see if one brand was superior and what issues existed with each.

It does look like the pricing on these is almost identical wherever you look so I would not be surprised if they are all made by the same shop.