THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Old 01-20-2023, 03:42 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Forum request to moderators

I would respectfully request that consideration be given to renaming the "Tri-power tech" forum to "Carburetion tech".

When the tripower forum first began, there was quite a bit of interest; however, if one checks carburetor threads regularly, as I do, one finds significantly more interest in Q-Jets alone than in tripower. Add in the occasional Carter AFB, Holley, and dual quad questions, and the combination is significantly greater than threads for tripower alone. By making this change, all carburetion threads would be consolidated in a single forum.

Jon

"The most expensive carburetor is the wrong one given to you by your neighbor".

If you truly believe that "one size fits all" try walking a mile in your spouse's shoes!

Owner of The Carburetor Shop, LLC (of Missouri).

Current caretaker of the remains of Stromberg Caburetor, and custodian of the existing Carter and Kingston carburetor drawings.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to carbking For This Useful Post:
Old 01-20-2023, 04:18 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I second that, there are plenty of carb threads that end up in the street, or race sections, that could easily use a forum just for intake manifolds and carbs. Tri powers, as well as other carbs and intakes would make sense to have in a dedicated section.

At any one time, there are usually at least 2 posts circulating, asking about those 2 subjects. Having a dedicated forum would also make sense for new arrivals that may be searching older posts to answer their questions. If fuel injection was also included there are usually plenty of people with questions about retrofitting those to the Stratostreak engines too.

1984 Grand Prix

100% Pontiacs in my driveway!!! What's in your driveway?

If you don't take some of the RACETRACK home with you, Ya got cheated

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sirrotica For This Useful Post:
Old 01-20-2023, 04:33 PM

I think we can pare down the number of forums considerably here. By like half.

The Following User Says Thank You to rasilverbird For This Useful Post:
Old 01-20-2023, 04:57 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Moderators don't have the ability to create or rename forums, so it's more of a matter for the system administrator eric_cspan. We can pass on the request or you can send him a PM directly.

The Following User Says Thank You to Stuart For This Useful Post:
Old 01-20-2023, 05:05 PM

Personally I don’t see it as a helpful change or addition.

Street oriented carb and intake manifold discussions take place in the Pontiac Street forum and race oriented carb and manifold discussions in the Pontiac Race forum. Also in whatever particular model subforum there’s discussion of the specific carburetors and intakes used on those models.

It’s been working out fine in my opinion.

I don’t see a single dedicated carburetor forum that covers every carburetor and intake configuration or application as being useful here.

There is already a dedicated EFI tech forum for those interested in discussing fuel injection setups so we have that covered. The users of fuel injection is a considerably smaller group in comparison to those using carburetors on our vintage Pontiacs.

The Tri-Power forum was created for that particular kind of carburetor setup by special request and also as a tribute to that unique era of Pontiac performance history.

Just my personal thoughts and opinion.

Old 01-20-2023, 05:41 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Here's a thought: for each forum where it makes sense, commission a Sticky for
Alternator Rebuild and kits
Water Pump Rebuild and Kits
PS rebuild And Kits
Harness kits
Radiator and Heater Core rebuild and services
In Body & Paint: sheetmetal sources, chrome plating, single-stage paint, glass supply, rear defogger foil kits.

Ya get the drill, and PY ought have some of these kits