THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Closed Thread

Old 01-25-2023, 10:10 PM
Senior Chief

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohrt View Post
First I'm hearing about this request. Totally didn't even see that post.
Donated!
Same as above... And I'm in now, as well.

Old 01-25-2023, 10:36 PM

I'd pay a bit of money, but I'd need some real entertainment for it. Maybe we could have an annual event that featured people throwing AFB carbs at Tom Vaught (we'd let him wear a Snell rated hemet, of course), or arm wrestling matches that determined what type of oil filtration we all had to use for the coming year.

Joking aside, there's nothing wrong with donating to keep a valuable website operational, but most other forums are funded by sponsoring businesses.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to w72 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-25-2023, 11:35 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I'm not proud of how long it took me to find the donate tab
but after reading most of the posts, I feel a bit better...

Frank

Old 01-26-2023, 09:27 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by nas t eh View Post
At first blush I agree, $25-50 dollars is not a big ask for the value most of us get from the site.
But there are businesses benefiting here, one of them we all call our host, many of us try to buy everything we need from them or the other businesses. I spent a ton at Butler and quite a bit at Ames and I’m not done.
I wonder how much Cold Case, Legendary, Ames , Butler or any other businesses here would miss this site and how much their businesses would suffer?
Some members here also benefit financially as they participate and do business at the same time. I know they have paid memberships.

Still I honestly feel that is where the financing of this site should come from. I know I’m in the minority and expect to get flamed. But I’d like some clarity on why the businesses benefiting the most can’t solve this.
I believe the owner of Cold Case (and Pypes) owns this site! I agree with your statements above.

Old 01-26-2023, 09:36 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vroom_vroom View Post
How much $ dose this site bring in a year on advertising money alone? How about sponsorship dollars for paid sponsors?
The cost of keeping the server running?

If your going to try and shame your membership for not paying to play your not doing a very good job of running a business.
Say what you will but I don’t think you understand how bad this original post makes you look.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
This^
Before I make any donations that have been solicited towards me I like to know a bit of the facts, rather than willy nilly sending money. This is from the girl scouts selling cookies in front of walmart to large childrens hospitals. I typically try to keep my donations
to charities.
How much does it cost to run this site?
What is the annual revenue generated from the advertising?
What is the annual revenue generated from all other sources?

Also personally I think it is in extremely bad taste to ASK someone if they have donated to something. Do you ask your friends and family members if THEY dontate to charities? I rarely 'donate' to a private company. If this forum is realistically on 'life support' then perhaps a better business plan is needed i.e. charge a membership fee. If enough people feel that its worthwhile to pay such fee then great. If not then that would be telling.

Old 01-26-2023, 09:54 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I obviously enjoy this site as evidence of the many posts. Honestly, until asked to donate a couple bucks, I NEVER gave a thought to what it cost to keep it up and running. I assumed it was absorbed as a worthwhile business expense for Performance Years/Ames. The forum has value to me as I learn new things constantly on here and some of the new knowledge saves me money and time. I am not a Facebook, Instagram, or Twitter guy and have no plans to join any of that crap. So if this goes away, I will find something else to do an hour or so a day. But if a small donation keeps it up and running, I am fine with it. Much like if Hot Rod, Muscle Machines, Smoke Signals go away. (My monthly print media). I enjoy it while it's available. A agree this site should remain voluntary and not require a paid membership. People who can't afford a membership or just don't want to be shamed into donating have valuable information to share. I hope you make your goal and the site continues.

The Following User Says Thank You to mgarblik For This Useful Post:
Old 01-26-2023, 11:06 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vroom_vroom View Post
Say what you will but I don’t think you understand how bad this original post makes you look.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
X2

Because trying to guilt trip/bully people into giving money has worked out so well for other companies who've attempted the same thing.

1970 Trans Am RAIII 4 speed
1971 Trans Am 5.3 LM7
1977 Trans Am W72 Y82
1987 Grand National
Old 01-26-2023, 11:29 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 72projectbird View Post
X2

Because trying to guilt trip/bully people into giving money has worked out so well for other companies who've attempted the same thing.
To be fair, the company did not guilt trip or bully anyone; they noted that donations could help and didn't push any further than that.

Some members, on the other hand, are pushing a little harder than that. I agree it's not a good look, but that's not on the forum owners.

Old 01-26-2023, 11:49 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by mzbk2l View Post
To be fair, the company did not guilt trip or bully anyone; they noted that donations could help and didn't push any further than that.

Some members, on the other hand, are pushing a little harder than that. I agree it's not a good look, but that's not on the forum owners.
Deserving of emphasis.

I donated because I appreciate the site and all it's done for me. Pressure tactics by other (well meaning) members had no effect on my decision.

Eric

Life begins at the end of your comfort zone.

“The mind, once stretched by a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions.”
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Elarson For This Useful Post:
Old 01-26-2023, 12:01 PM

Contributed.

Old 01-26-2023, 12:06 PM

Thanks for the reminder just donated. The info and entertainment on this site is well worth the donation. Looks like your message/reminder is getting close to reaching the goal.
Just reading the responses to this post by people who have to argue about everything is entertaining.

Last edited by ta6point6; 01-26-2023 at 12:13 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to ta6point6 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-26-2023, 12:22 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by mzbk2l View Post

I know, the owners have handled it very well. I have no problem donating, so I dont want anyone to take what I say the wrong way.

It's those trying to force the donations I have an issue with.

1971 Trans Am 5.3 LM7
1977 Trans Am W72 Y82
1987 Grand National
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 72projectbird For This Useful Post:
Old 01-26-2023, 02:52 PM
Senior Chief

Quote:
I know, the owners have handled it very well. I have no problem donating, so I dont want anyone to take what I say the wrong way.

It's those trying to force the donations I have an issue with.
I see this a little differently, I likely have this wrong but to me it looked like Ames bought the site, changed the name, became the majority advertiser and excluded their competitors from advertising here .

Maybe tire companies and suspension companies as well as Ames' direct competition or anyone else does not want to advertise here, I don't know.

But if I was in charge at Ames and my site was asking for donations from customers I would be embarrassed

So I don't think Ames has handled this well at all.

Old 01-26-2023, 04:03 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elarson View Post
Deserving of emphasis.

I donated because I appreciate the site and all it's done for me. Pressure tactics by other (well meaning) members had no effect on my decision.

Eric
I couldn't agree more!!! I don't view PY as pressuring anyone, they are an outstanding tool that we all have taken advantage of through the years both in info and friendships, however, I don't think members should be pressuring anyone either. I think it's tasteless. That doesn't entice anyone to donate. We should donate because we see the value of this site and for no other reason.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to necdb3 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-26-2023, 08:58 PM
Senior Chief

Personally, I never donated before, mostly cuz I never saw a link. As soon as I did, I donated $60. I figure this place has kept me from making $1000's of dollars of mistakes, so donating $5 per month seems reasonable to me.

I'm sure the mods and web guys don't get a whole hell of a lot of $$ for doing this important work. My site has been pretty much the same for 12 years, but I still have maintenance fees for scripts, certificates, backups of date, yada yada. I guarantee. you I don't have immense knowledge available compared to this site.

If you felt pressured, ok, it wasn't the owners. But if a member pressures you, I'm sure it's more of a "Support your already expensive hobby in a forum that gives so much back to you." angle.

Maybe you've been a free loader for years (like I was), but IMO, it's time for people who enjoy, use and benefit from sales here to ante up.

I've sold about $1000 over the years from this site, my 5-6% donation of those sales seemed fair. And I'm going to continue to donate $5 a month until I'm no longer a member here.

Old 01-26-2023, 09:31 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScumOne View Post

Maybe you've been a free loader for years (like I was), but IMO, it's time for people who enjoy, use and benefit from sales here to ante up.
So the invaluable information that the members share, that makes this site what it is, are freeloaders unless they donate?

1971 Trans Am 5.3 LM7
1977 Trans Am W72 Y82
1987 Grand National
Old 01-26-2023, 09:45 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Thumbs up your right

Donated!!!!
thanks for all the knowledge shared over the years

Gerry

1968 Firebird 400, 068 cam, TH400 & 13" Continental Converter, Auburn posi with 3:08 factory gears, Cliff's Q-jet resting on a 68 factory iron intake, DUI HEI and Ram Air pans and RARE Long Branch Manifolds
Old 01-26-2023, 09:54 PM
Senior Chief

Quote:
So the invaluable information that the members share, that makes this site what it is, are freeloaders unless they donate?
It's kind of hard to track that, don't you think? I do.

Old 01-26-2023, 11:01 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScumOne View Post
It's kind of hard to track that, don't you think? I do.
Not at all. This site wouldn't be anywhere near as popular as it is if the members weren't bringing knowledge and invaluable information to the table. Having met a decent amount of members here in person, you quickly realize this site is built upon some amazingly smart people, who definitely make this site what it is.

Just so we're all on the same page, I have no problem with donating. I do have a problem with members trying to force others to donate, and have a pretty big problem with paid memberships.

1971 Trans Am 5.3 LM7
1977 Trans Am W72 Y82
1987 Grand National
The Following User Says Thank You to 72projectbird For This Useful Post:
Old 01-26-2023, 11:12 PM
Ultimate Warrior

For the sake there is no misunderstanding as to the basis of me starting this thread, let me say absolutely clearly that I have NO affiliation with ANYONE on this board other than I can say I have met (electronically), some really nice people here and I have benefited exponentially from the advice I have received multiple, multiple times.

As I understand it, the moderators on this forum are totally voluntary. No payment for their services I believe.

B-man (a moderator himself), posted the following in multiple sections of this forum:The Performance Years forums are owned and run by Chris Caspersson and his son Eric and they have been generously providing the funds to keep it running.

When I first saw this appeal for some financial assistance to maintain this forum, I only thought it fair and reasonable that as I have and continue to benefit from its existence, then a small donation is a not a big ask. For someone like myself, not based in the US but rather the other side of the world, then to repeat what I've said above, the information provided here is invaluable and I'd hate to see it diminish through a lack of support to the people providing the funds to maintain it.

I donated but later noted the enthusiasm to assist the owners fairly quickly seemed to have fallen away. Hence my starting this thread. I hope the goal is reached shortly.

At NO TIME, did I ever imagine some members might think they were being "forced" to donate. Never!