Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-13-2006, 12:37 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default Hidden headlights - new electric conversion!

I did the electric motor conversion for GTO hidden headlights about a year ago. I was never really pleased with the performance, for several reasons:
· The headlights were driven by a single motor in the center of the bumper, connected to a long single rod. Long motion path from motor to headlight door. The headlight motion was very springy, and one door was always closed tighter than the other. Very finicky to adjust.
· The motor was not current limited. Since the doors closed at different rates/times, it required a good deal of force to get BOTH doors fully closed. I broke the motor bushings twice.
· The motor required the operator to hold the switch closed in one direction or the other until the doors were fully open/closed. (How long should I hold it?)
· There was no indicator to be sure the doors were fully open or closed, or even which state they were in.

I really wanted two-motor operation, like what is on my son’s 91 T/A. I got the two hidden headlight motors and the control box off a junk T/A and fitted them into my 68 GTO as you see here.

Operation is beautiful! Solid, predictable motion, up and down. Current-limited stops assures complete opening with no overtorqueing of the motor. Simple two-position switch with lighted “on” position for hands-off operation and visual indicator. Everhthing I wanted in the setup.

Here's a video of the test of the door prototype. I have since changed the mounting bracket from lexan to steel.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...091&pr=goog-sl

Some pics posted below of the parts used and the mounting.

I’d be glad to share details with anyone interested in this conversion.

Regards,
Bob Trimpe
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	conversion_parts.jpg
Views:	1290
Size:	50.2 KB
ID:	71722   Click image for larger version

Name:	bracket.jpg
Views:	1119
Size:	69.7 KB
ID:	71723   Click image for larger version