Pontiac Journal Here's a sneak peek of what each issue of the Pontiac Journal has to offer.

Old 11-12-2007, 07:37 PM
Administrator

Default Complimentary Issue - Pontiac Journal - Holiday 2007

The Pontiac Journal
HOLIDAY 2007 The Pontiac Journal - A Performance Years Newsletter Volume 5 - Issue 2

WELCOME TO YOUR COMPLIMENTARY ISSUE

It's that time again!! Temperature's begin to cool, Costume stores appear in every shopping mall, Grocery stores start their "free turkey" promotions, Holiday decorations appear everywhere and you prepare your prized Classic Pontiac(s) for a little "down time". In order to hold you over until the Cruise and Car Show season comes back around, we are distributing this issue of the Pontiac Journal to all Performance Years customers and PY Forums members. Grab a tasty beverage, make yourself comfortable and read the articles we have jammed into another great issue. You will also notice that since the gift-giving season is nearly upon us, there are a number of Specials available to PJ subscribers and a long list of the most exciting products that have become available recently.

We hope you enjoy reading this issue and if you have any comments, questions, articles or article ideas, please feel free to send us a note at Pontiacjournal@performanceyears.com.

The Pontiac Journal Staff

IN THIS ISSUE

PY ANSWERS THE CALL

WHAT DOES THE FUTURE HOLD FOR PONTIAC AS A CARMAKER?

PY FORUMS TECHNICAL TIP:   RSS FEEDS

A VINTAGE TIGER WITH A MODERN GROWL

PJ FEATURED RIDES

RADIO, O RADIO, WHEREFORE ART THOU RADIO?

PONTIAC JOURNAL SPECIALS

PRODUCTS ON THE HORIZON

PAST ISSUES

Volume 1 - Issue 1
Volume 1 - Issue 2
Volume 1 - Issue 3
Volume 1 - Issue 4
Volume 1 - Issue 5

Volume 2 - Issue 1
Volume 2 - Issue 2

Volume 3 - Issue 1
Volume 3 - Issue 2

Volume 4 - Issue 1
Volume 4 - Issue 2
Volume 4 - Issue 3

Volume 5 - Issue 1

WOULD YOU LIKE TO GET
MORE GREAT ISSUES OF
THE PONTIAC JOURNAL?

PY ANSWERS THE CALL

Performance Years has been producing Classic Pontiac Parts catalogs for the last 20 years. Over the years we have changed, updated and improved our catalogs to better serve our customers (who remembers the pocket size catalogs of the mid-90's). Now, on the eve of this 20th anniversary and at the request of many of our customers and staff members, Performance Years is performing the largest catalog upgrade we've ever undertaken.

After about 7 months of hard work, Performance Years released it's newest 1964-74 GTO, Tempest & Lemans catalog (Volume 11A) in Late June of this year. Every page of this new catalog features full-color product pictures, updated product descriptions and extended product details. The catalog jumped in size from 128 pages to 160. Much of the production time of this catalog went into taking the 1400+ full-color product pictures that appear inside. The extended product descriptions are an invaluable addition for our customers because they are pulled from the product database our sales reps use everyday to answer product and technical questions. The extended descriptions include dimensions, fitment, quality, and originality notes. Also throughout this new catalog you will find Installation tips, production notes, product recommendations and historic Pontiac knowledge to enrich your shopping experience and the hobby as a whole. This new GTO, Tempest & Lemans catalog is also jam packed with as many new products we could get our hands on.

So far we've received lots of great positive feedback from the customers that have already picked up and perused the new catalog. We already have ideas and plans in motion to improve our GTO, Tempest & Lemans catalog's next volume. STay tuned for more details and feel free to send us you own comments. If you haven't yet seen this new catalog, You can download the PDF version of this catalog or request a print catalog get mailed to you (expect 2-4 weeks for delivery).

NEW FIREBIRD/TRANS AM CATALOG - COMING SOON

Since the completion of out GTO/Tempest/Lemans catalog upgrade, the Performance Years catalog staff has been waist-deep in the process of giving our 1967-81 Firebird & Trans Am catalog the same treatment. Expect to see more pages, hundreds of full color product pictures, extended product descriptions, dozens of new products (as always) and a number of other goodies. We expect this new catalog to be available just after the new year. Keep your eyes and ears open for updates in the coming months.

WHAT DOES THE FUTURE HOLD FOR PONTIAC AS A CARMAKER?

by Don Keefe  

With the 2008 model year just around the corner, many Pontiac hobbyists are looking to see how the future will stack up for Pontiac. Are the best days behind it, or are there sunny days ahead? It’s no secret that total monthly sales for 2007 have been way down, yet is that necessarily a bad thing?

Before going any further, I need to point out that I am as much of an outsider as anyone, so it’s not like I have any pull with GM management. That being said, I am actually pretty enthusiastic about what is going on right now as far as product goes.

Some of you might be saying, “So what? I don’t really care about what Pontiac is doing now, especially after the recent blunders with the GTO and the Aztec. My interests are limited to the traditional Pontiac V-8 years.” That’s all well and good, but the last thing that any portion of the Pontiac hobby needs is an orphaned nameplate- nothing good will come of it. Personally, I don’t think it’s going to happen because retiring Oldsmobile cost GM dearly, both in terms of prestige and also in litigation with dealers.

I really think that there is a future for Pontiac- if and only if GM management realizes that they actually have something here that could work if it were handled properly. I think that the days of Pontiac being a full-line Division are gone for the foreseeable future. Pontiac needs to be looked at differently, not as an individual carmaker but as a part of the overall GM portfolio.

Let’s face it, there really isn’t a Pontiac Motor Division as we once knew it, or any other Division in the traditional sense. They are all merely marketing arms for vehicles manufactured by General Motors. There is no longer the level autonomy we once knew, there just aren’t enough resources for that anymore, with any carmaker, not just GM.

With that in mind, I could see Pontiac becoming GM’s specialty performance marque, one that has a single purpose and focus, not to be a full-line carmaker with a vehicle for every demand and market segment. That sort of mentality gave us the badge-engineered nightmare that was GM in the 1970s and 1980s. Let Chevrolet and Saturn take the more mundane people-mover and rental car markets, let Cadillac take on BMW, Lexus and Infiniti, let Buick take the older buyers and luxury markets.

Pontiac, is perfectly poised to be what is really in its soul- the performance Division for the more sophisticated buyer who demands style, speed and value for the money, sort of a bargain basement AMG or Roush.

Next, drop every model that isn’t rear-wheel drive or a performance-oriented AWD platform. Pontiac is already heading this way, let’s just give them a push. They’ve already discontinued the Aztec, Montana, Bonneville, and the Grand Prix is set for retirement after 2008. As much as I love the FWD Grand Prixs, the upcoming G8 is a much better car. Get rid of the Vibe and the G5 and the base versions of the Solstice, G6 and Torrent. My vision for the Pontiac lineup would be as follows:

Solstice GXP: Get the horsepower over the 300 mark, stiffen up the suspension a little and show Miatas the short way home. If you don’t want the turbo, go get the Saturn Sky version and be sure to get soymilk for your latte.

Torrent GXP: Add a turbo to the new 3.6-liter DOHC V-6 and create a new market segment, an affordable SUV that really performs. Though I’ve always liked the Torrent, I never really saw a business case for Pontiac having a version of the Equinox. This could be it, a bargain basement Porsche Cayenne.

G6 GXP: The look of this car is fantastic, especially the coupe. Add AWD and a turbo to the new V-6 (shared with the Torrent) and show the ricers who their daddy is. Pontiac really needs a sport coupe that appeals to the Gen Y crowd and pushrod V-8s won’t cut it. When it comes time for a new generation, make it RWD with optional AWD. Keep a high-winding V-6 in it and let them tapshift that new high-capacity 6-speed transaxle.

G8: When I first saw the press photos that subsequently went on the cover of the March issue of Smoke Signals, I was very impressed. The car was in my mind, everything it needed to be from a design standpoint, definitely American but with a European influence. I think this car is going to be a winner. Pontiac needs something to compete with the Dodge Charger and this is a great start. I’d love to see an Enforcer version, too. What’s with the 362 horsepower though? Let’s start with 400 and go from there!

GTO: Though I haven’t seen anything at all from GM, I suspect that when the new GTO comes out, it will bear a resemblance to the G8, maybe not just a 2-door version of it, but there will be a familiar design cues. I think that the base engine should be an upgraded version of the LS2 with at least 425 horsepower and the 505-horse LS7 should be optional. If the long-rumored 650+ horsepower V-8 slated for the Corvette does see the light of day, the GTO should also get it. Now that would be a Judge that rules!
To help add to the ownership experience, each dealership should have a performance boutique where buyers could purchase Pontiac merchandising and factory-authorized upfit packages for both performance and appearance. Every Pontiac model should have a full-line of packages to truly personalize the ownership experience. These pieces could then be dealer-installed without affecting the warranty.

This dealer-tuner concept could be a real profit-generator but the devil is in the details. The sales personnel would have to possess some true understanding of the product and would require factory training on top of their enthusiast background. This is not the place for ill-informed sales people with the “I don’t know what that is but I’ll sell you one,” mentality. This is an area that I have seen fall flat too many times and once credibility is gone, it’s gone.

Speaking of first impressions, I have one last piece of unsolicited advice for GM in general and Pontiac in particular: Don’t ever hold back on product. Time after time, GM comes out with a new car but doesn’t offer its best version the first year out. I suspect that this is what is going on with the G8.

If you have the pieces already developed, get them out already! Customers don’t like to be played with. If they need to get a car at a particular time and they are sure that a better version will be out in a year or two, they will most likely become frustrated that they can’t get the car they want, head to the Toyota or Honda dealer, buy a car and then tell their friends that they tried to buy an American car but nothing has really changed with their sales tactics.

So, there you have it, my proposal for a revitalized Pontiac. While it likely would not be seen as a viable deal from an R&D or marketing standpoint, I think that there’s plenty to draw from to help with Pontiac’s rebirth. What do you think?

PY FORUMS TECHNICAL TIP:   RSS FEEDS

The questions that are probably popping into your mind right now are probably:
  What is an RSS feed?
  Why should I care what an RSS feed is?
  What do Pontiacs have to do with Right Side Steering?

Why don't I address that last question first. The RSS that I will be talking about in this article does not stand for Right Side Steering but Really Simple Syndication. You'll see the universal logo for RSS in the upper right.

RSS is a protocol that easily distributes headlines, announcements and blog messages in a text-only format to anyone that is watching that RSS Feed. You will see RSS feeds most commonly on News related websites like CNN.com. And this allows www.any-website.com to have current and updated news articles from CNN.com (and other sites with RSS feeds) listed on the front page.

You may be saying to yourself, "That's nice for all those news sites I've visited but what does it have to do with us PY Forums members?" The answer to that question is that the PY Forums now provides an RSS feed. This means that any of you webmasters with websites of your own can have current PY Forums threads appear on your website. This gives you and anyone visiting your website a quick and easy view of the most recent Topics in any PY Forums catagory.

But what if you don't have a website of your own to receive the RSS feed? There are lots of other ways to access the PY Forums RSS feed. There are many websites that allow you to create and customize your own homepage. I personally use My Yahoo as a customizable homepage. It allows me to place lots of useful content (like local weather forecasts, sports scores, TV listings, etc...) on one webpage so that everytime I open a browser, it's all there at my fingertips. My Yahoo also allows me to accept RSS feeds and position them anywhere I want on this homepage. And the content gets updated everytime I visit that homepage or click the refresh button. Click the image to the right to see what it looked like when I added "61-77 GTO, Tempest & LeMans Parts For SALE" and "THE LOBBY" to my homepage on My Yahoo. I can now keep an eye out for parts in my favorite parts-for-sale catagory and watch for interesting topics in The Lobby, at the same time.

I'm fairly new to RSS myself but I was able to setup these RSS areas in My Yahoo in just a few minutes. It was incredibly easy. AlI I needed was the URL (or web address) to the RSS feed content I wanted to be displayed. For anyone interested in adding PY Forums RSS content to a webpage like I did, you just need this URL:
  http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/forums/external.php?type=rss&forumids=###
But you need to replace the ### at the end with the number of the catagory you want displayed. You can find the number of any PY Forums catagory by looking at the 3 digit number at the end of it's URL when you visit the PY Forums (ie. The Lobby is 467, The Body Shop TECH is 417, Collectibles FOR SALE is 455, ect...).

Additionally, it looks like some of the most popular browsers are setting up RSS feed access. In the latest versions of Mozilla Firefox, the RSS logo appears to the right of any website that offers a feed. And recent versions of Internet Explorer have an RSS logo incorporated in it's toolbar. You can click on these RSS logos to see that page's feed or enter a version of the URL I listed above to view a specific catagory. It isn't as convenient as setting up a webpage with several feeds available at your fingertips but it can remove some of the clutter by offering a text only interface. In fact, I'd expect RSS feeds to become more popular as all those small mobile devices (ie. PDA's, Cell Phones, PSP's, ect...) with internet access grow in popularity. With smaller screens than desktops or laptops, I can imagine the benifits of having text only access on these mobile devices.

RSS is an interesting little feature of the PY Forums that can be very benificial if you take a few minutes to set it up. If you're interested in linking a website to the PY Forums RSS Feed but are having trouble, send me an email and I'll see if I can help.

WOULD YOU LIKE TO GET
MORE GREAT ISSUES OF
THE PONTIAC JOURNAL?

A VINTAGE TIGER WITH A MODERN GROWL
  Ron Tremblay’s 1966 GTO Convertible Bridges the Gap Between Old and New Without Destroying its Heritage

by Don Keefe  

No matter where you stand on the current Pro Touring movement, you have to concede that the engineering that goes into these cars is truly innovative. The idea is simple but the execution is anything but: Combine the classic lines of the best musclecars of the 1960s and ‘70s with the modern performance, handling and braking found on today’s current crop of performance cars.

The idea allows for a great deal of flexibility and the results vary depending on the financial and engineering commitment made to the projects. Some enthusiasts are content to lower their otherwise stock musclecar and put on a set of 18s and 35-series rubber. The look is attractive and the originality of the car hasn’t been compromised. The flip side is that the car’s handling and overall performance hasn’t been dramatically improved, though for many, that’s not a big deal. They look good and draw admiring glances from the cruise-night crowd.

On the other end of the spectrum are the builders who throw caution to the wind- purists they are not. Armed with Sawzalls and cutting torches, they set out to carve out their vision of the ultimate street machine. They’ll keep the original lines of the cars and that’s about it. Floorpans and subframes are liberated from their original perches, factory drivetrains are ripped away and discarded. New computer-designed chassis and suspensions replace retrotech designs. The original engines are replaced with late-model fuel-injected V-8s with on-board management systems. The truly ambitious even add some sort of forced induction to sometimes drive the horsepower into the 4-digit range.

The end results are wildly fast, insanely expensive and are hardly ever driven on the street due to the financial commitment they represent. You might see them on display at the SEMA convention or on a cable TV show and you’ll no doubt see them on the cover of magazines. You won’t see them on the street, though. Wasn’t the whole point to make the car more exciting to drive?

Ron Tremblay of Middleton, Massachusetts, is someone who wanted to build a Pro Touring ’66 GTO convertible but was determined to do it in such a way that would improve its performance without destroying its original DNA. There had to be some mechanical link to its original roots. “By the time I got the car, its original engine was long gone,” Ron explained. “I knew that even if I restored it to stock, it would never be number-matching. I’ve seen guys at shows turn their noses up at cars that didn’t have their original engine castings- I knew it was time to go in another direction.”

The direction Ron would take would involve a powertrain swap and the beefing up of the production suspension. A 2006 6-liter LS2 and 6-speed transmission from a GTO were selected for the conversion. This really is the natural choice for a Pro Touring GM car of any type. The all-aluminum engine is lightweight, powerful and though it’s not a traditional Pontiac V-8, it’s still a very worthwhile addition to the Goat. Oh yeah, and the 400 net horsepower doesn’t hurt a bit, either.

The T-56 6-speed transmission is also a natural because it was what GM originally selected for the engine, is more than up to the task of standing up to the powerful V-8 and provides two overdrive gears for effortless high-speed cruising. This is a combination that can get better then 25 mpg on the highway and go over 160 mph in a late-model GTO, so the combination is perfect for Ron’s intended use.

Getting the engine in and the electronics sorted out was accomplished with the help of Mark at Street & Performance Auto in Messina, Arkansas. Ron used 1966 Chevelle small-block motor mounts with an S&PA adapter to mate them to the LS2. Street & Performance Auto also supplied a modified 2006 GTO wiring harness and a custom computer tune to work with the original 10-bolt, 3.55 Safe-T-Track rearend. The LS2 Drive by Wire system was also retained and used in the ’66.

The T-56 6-speed transmission installation was also accomplished with stock components. A reproduction 1966 GTO transmission crossmember from Performance Years was moved back approximately six inches and a late-model, production-style hydraulic clutch was also used for the swap. The transmission tunnel from the ’06 donor car was cut out and grafted to the ’66 GTO floorpan. The original tunnel was removed and set safely away in case the car was ever to go back to stock.

A Pro Touring car needs to have a competent chassis in order to perform and Ron’s GTO delivers. As mentioned previously, Tremblay did not want a vehicle so exotic and expensive that he was worried every time he took it out. He also didn’t want to butcher the car to such an extent that it couldn’t go back to stock in the future. This ruled out the logical choice of cannibalizing the donor 2006 GTO for its independent rear suspension. That would have involved some serious surgery and for him, it didn’t fit into his gameplan.

Instead, Ron rebuilt the stock suspension, with PST’s uprgraded kit, which included lower, stiffer springs, more aggressive shock absorbers and also added urethane bushings. A PST front disc brakes conversion was also added to aid in stopping power. The old drum braked A-bodies really needed help in this area.

Likewise, the rear suspension was also upgraded with PST componentry, which included stiffer springs, shocks and urethane bushings. Future plans call for a Hotchkis front suspension system and rear disc brakes.

The GTO’s rolling stock reflects the new/old nature of the buildup. The Nostalgia 17-inch wheels look like factory Pontiac Rally IIs but are sized in more modern dimensions. They are 8 inches wide in front and 10 inches in the rear and are shod with BF Goodrich G-Force 245/40ZR-17 radials in the front and 285/40ZR-17s in the rear. Combined with the lowered springs, they provide the perfect stance that a Pro Touring machine needs.

As the GTO was a New England car, the body was in need of help. It wasn’t nearly as bad as most 40 year-old rust-belt machines, but it did need some lower rear quarter sections and trunk floor extensions, which Ron welded in himself. In the interest of saving money and time, rusty bolt-on sheetmetal was replaced with clean panels sourced from eBay. Tremblay handled all of the metal work himself and the results were quite impressive- good enough to have the body shot in single-stage Dupont black enamel by Atlantic Custom, located in Peabody, MA. The paint was the only area that Ron farmed out; he did the rest of the work in his home shop.

The interior retains a factory-stock appearance, no out-of-place looking aftermarket bucket seats and gauges here. The interior features factory bucket seats, covered with Performance Years reproduction vinyl and PY door and side panels. The repopped carpeting also uses factory-style materials, custom-cut for the new tunnel.

From a $4,000 driver that he bought on the spot and drove home, Ron Tremblay’s 1966 GTO has been transformed into a machine that runs and performs like a modern machine, yet retains its vintage heritage. “The LS2 conversion was the best move I ever made,” Ron explains. “It is the fastest car I have ever driven and it draws crowds wherever I take it.” He also added that, “They put LS2s in Corvettes and GTOs for a reason- they kick ass!” Truer words were never spoken…

During the production of this newsletter and the Tremblay article, we ran into Bill Bracken and low and behold he is embarking on a very similar journey. We have included some pictures here as a teaser and will update you on both the cars progress next issue.

PJ FEATURED RIDES

Performance Years  

Each Issue of the Pontiac Journal we will feature three owners who have submitted their Pontiacs for the Customer Rides section of our Website. Each owner whose Pontiac is chosen will receive a $25 Performance Years gift certificate, as well as the praise and adoration of all of you readers. Winners, please contact us with your name and address so we can send you your gift certificate.

Paul Markey
1974 Trans Am & 1969 Firebird
Tampa, Florida

I purchased the numbers matching car in 1994 from a guy who I worked with. I traded a freshly restored 1972 Formula clone and cash. After approximately two years of restoration work, the car was hitting the show scene (POCI sponsored) and did extremely well. The SD had subsequently been ... more
Pete Stack
1970 Judge
British Columbia

She is one of 422 Canadian made GTO Judges made in Oshawa Ontario. Made December 1969 as there was a large ... more
Larry Morris
72 Grand Prix SSJ
Brandon, FL

I have recently found, purchased and completed restoration on what may be THE ONLY 1972 Green / Gold Pontiac Grand Prix Hurst SSJ known to... more

RADIO, O RADIO, WHEREFORE ART THOU RADIO?

by Chris Casperson

Pontiac 1st used the AM-FM radio in 1963. In 1965 the AM-FM radio finally appeared in GTO's. Why did it take two years to add AM-FM to the GTO? Keep in mind that back then, all the 'kool' stations were am. Wolfman Jack and cousin Brucie ruled the airwaves and the FM stations were originally targeting the older crowd with music like classical and big band that 'needed' a better cleaner sound. Through the next few years, FM would begin to take hold and the transformation had begun. To accomodate this, the major car manufacturers began to ramp up there offerings of AM-FM radio options. Here is a chronology and ID guide of the various options Pontiac made available for the GTO through 1972.

AM radio was available in two versions. Standard AM with NO pushbuttons and the upgraded deluxe utilizing 5 black smooth rounded corner pushbuttons. Both face plates were flat face chrome with a very thin lined outer frame and featured a large recessed 'Pontiac' wording above the dial. The reverb option was an optional box mounted behind the seat facing the trunk. It gave a concert hall like sound and was the predicessor to stereo units that were soon to follow.

In addition to the carry over of the two AM version radios, the GTO AM-FM radio was introduced. It utilized a flat chrome face with a protruding AM-FM 'Pontiac' slide bar to switch from AM to FM. Pushbuttons were upgraded from black plastic to cast chrome and were squared off like the big car AM radios of the same year. The knobs and bezels remained the same. Reverb was available as an option.

In 1966 all the face plates remained chromed but now there was an almost 1/2 inch deep frame surrounding the dial. The 'Pontiac' word and pushbuttons remained basically the same. The black pushbuttons on the AM radio now contained parallel lines for better grip and asthetics. The AM-FM used a similar deep border faceplate design and the same 'Pontiac' slide bar was used but now sat flush with the face plate frame. The pushbuttons were identical to the 1965 AM-FM pushbuttons in that they were cast chrome and square cornered. New knobs were used as well as recessed black ring bezels. (see pictures) Reverb was available as an option.

The 1967 radios were very similar in structure to the 1966 radios, a steel blue paint was sprayed in the recess area of the face plates and the pushbuttons changed to a plastic and were more rounded than the 1966's. The am's stayed black and the AM-FM stayed chrome. The knobs and bezels also changes for 67. Now both chrome plated plastic, the knob design changed as well as the bezels. (see pictures) Note: The 8-track tape player made its debut in 1967. Reverb was available as an option except if the 8 track was ordered.

For 1968 a new feature became available. Stereo! Up until now, all radios played through mono amplifiers. So for 1968 more options were available. All the 1968 radios changed looks quite drastically. The new dash design almost completely hid the radio. Only the pushbuttons, dial indicator knobs and bezels could be seen. The new Stereo radio featured a secondary amplifier that mounted above the glove box. The main unit could be identified by chrome pushbuttons the first pushbutton on the left and the last pushbutton on the right having an indent reading AM and FM respectively. There was also a small dot in the dial that lit up red when a station was receiving a stereo signal. The bezels behind the knobs read Tone and Balance. There was also an Am-FM non-stereo unit available. This radio did not have the secondary amplifier, the pushbuttons were also chrome and the bezels read 'am-fm' and F-speaker-R. Reverb option was available except with the stereo radio. Note: A blue stereo light in the indicator was found on all the Big Pontiac stereo radios. Their amplifiers were similar but the mounting location changed so the mounting bracket differed. For 1968, the stereo 8-track was again available and was the same as the '67 unit but with a new rubber bordered face plate.

The 1969 options remained similar to 1968 as did the overall appearance and fit of the radios. For 1969 the pushbuttons of the stereo unit were changed to black with little white 'am' and 'fm' identifiers on the end pushbuttons. The secondary amplifier remained mounted above the glove box. The non stereo unit was still available and looked like the 1968 except for black pushbuttons with white AM=FM indicators on the pushbuttons. This was the last year for the reverb option and was available with the AM and the non stereo AM-FM unit. For 1969-72 a new console or floor mounted 8-track was available.

1970-71
In 1970 and 1971 Delco figured out a way to get the stereo amplifier into the main unit and the remote amplifier was no longer needed. Visually the AM-FM stereo looked identical to the the 1969.

In 1972 a very subtle change appeared in the window of the dial indicator. The 'Delco' logo changed and appeared in a little white box.

It may be important for concours restorations to note that all the GTO AM-FM radios from 69-72 had black pushbuttons while the GP and Big Car AM-FM had chrome pushbuttons. Another way to determine the difference in radios was the presence of a red grease ID that was found on most radio fronts. A=GTO, Tempest and LeMans B=B body G=GP F=Firebird.

Next issue:
I'll explain what model 1965 and 1966 Big Car AM-FM's can be converted to 1965, 1966 and 1967 GTO AM-FM's and what is involved in this conversion. Originals are starting to fetch in excess of $1000 now and a lucky Big car AM-FM radio find just might save you several hundred bucks. A review of the Firebird radio from 67-72 will also be made.

WOULD YOU LIKE TO GET
MORE GREAT ISSUES OF
THE PONTIAC JOURNAL?

PONTIAC JOURNAL SPECIALS

These specials are offered to our valued subscribers. These specials are available only to subscribing Pontiac Journal members and expire on December 21st, 2007. When placing orders for these products you will need to tell your Sales Rep your Forums Username or note it on your online order.

Fuel Door Bumper

Part#   GMR98
Was   $3.00
Special   $2.25
1964-72 Crossmember Brackets - Stainless!!

Part#   PYU300
Was   $29.00
Special   $23.20
1964-72 Crossmember Insulators

Part#   PYU301
Was   $12.00
Special   $9.60
1967-69 Firebird/Trans Am
2.5” 409 SS Quarter-Exit System
w/ X-pipe

Part#   SGF60
Was   $399.00
Special   $349.00
1967-69 Firebird/Trans Am
3” 409 SS Quarter-Exit System
w/ X-pipe

Part#   SGF63
Was   $459.00
Special   $399.00
1967-81 Firebird/Trans Am
2.5" 304 Polished SS Crossflow System w/ X-pipe & Racepro

Part#   SGF70S
Was   $699.00
Special   $599.00
1976-81 Firebird/Trans Am
2.5" 304 Polished SS Quarter-Exit System w/ X-pipe

Part#   SGF10SS
Was   $659.00
Special   $519.00
1970-75 Firebird/Trans Am
2.5" 304 Polished SS Rear-Exit System w/ X-pipe

Part#   SGF11SS
Was   $659.00
Special   $519.00
1970-81 Firebird/Trans Am
3" 304 Polished SS Quarter-Exit System w/ X-pipe

Note: Modifications are required to add 3" splitter tips.

Part#   SGF13SS
Was   $759.00
Special   $619.00
1964-74 GTO/Tempest/Lemans
2.5" 304 Polished SS System
w/ X-pipe

(except 1970-71 GTO/Tempest/Lemans)

Part#   SGA10SS
Was   $599.00
Special   $519.00
1964-74 GTO/Tempest/Lemans
w/ X-change

(except 1970-71 GTO/Tempest/Lemans)

Part#   SGA11SS
Was   $699.00
Special   $599.00
1970-71 GTO/Tempest/Lemans
w/ X-pipe

Part#   SGA12SS
Was   $599.00
Special   $519.00
1964-72 GTO/Tempest/Lemans
3" 304 Polished SS System
w/ X-pipe

Note: Modifications are required to fit in 1970-71 GTO valance cutouts.

Part#   SGA13SS
Was   $699.00
Special   $599.00
1967-68 Firebird Pitman Arm w/ manual steering

Part#   RFU213A
Was   $69.00
Special   $59.00
1969 Firebird Pitman Arm w/ Power Steering

Part#   RFU213B
Was   $69.00
Special   $59.00
1972 GTO Exhaust Splitter Hanger Brackets - Stainless!!

Part#   RPE647
Was   $49.00/pr
Special   $39.20/pr
1964-72 GTO/Tempest/Lemans Pitman Arm w/ Power Steering

Part#   GMU55U
Was   $45.00
Special   $39.00
1967 Firebird Brake Cable Kit

Part#   RFU112
Was   $229.00
Special   $199.00
1968-69 Firebird Brake Cable Kit

Part#   RFU112A
Was   $229.00
Special   $199.00
1964-67 GTO/Tempest/Lemans Brake Cable Kit

Part#   GMU10K1
Was   $229.00
Special   $199.00
1968-72 GTO/Tempest/Lemans Brake Cable Kit

Part#   GMU10K2
Was   $229.00
Special   $199.00
1968-72 GTO/Tempest/Lemans T-400 Brake Cable Kit

Part#   GMU10K3
Was   $229.00
Special   $199.00
1965-67 GTO/Tempest/Lemans Chrome Louvered Air Cleaner Lid

Part#   RPE420T
Was   $109.00
Special   $87.00
2.5" GTO/Tempest/Lemans Stainless Hanger Kit

Part#   RPE649K
Was   $54.95
Special   $45.00

PRODUCTS ON THE HORIZON

Performance Years  

This is simply a list of some items that we are reproducing or a new reproduction we plan to carry.

RPF69C
  $39.00

1968-69 GTO Headlight cover trim
  - LH   Now Available
  RPF69D
  $39.00

1968-69 GTO Headlight cover trim
  - RH   Now Available
  PYI14S
  $89.00

1964-65 GTO/Tempest/Lemans Conv. Top Switch
  Now Available
  RPD26
  $62.00

1964-65 GTO/Tempest/Lemans Upper Door Hinge
  Now Available
  RPD26A
  $62.00

1964-65 GTO/Tempest/Lemans Lower LH Door hinge
  Now Available
  RPD57
  $89.00

1966-67 GTO/Tempest/Lemans Door Ledge
  Reveal Molding   IN STOCK
  RPD58
  $69.00

1966-67 GTO/Tempest/Lemans Quarter
  Ledge Reveal Molding   IN STOCK
  RPD97
  $199.00

1969-72 GTO/Tempest/Lemans Remote Mirror
  -LH   Now Available
  COMING
  SOON
  1969-72 GTO/Tempest/Lemans Remote Mirror - RH
  COMING SOON
  COMING
  SOON
  1965-68 GTO/Tempest/Lemans Remote Mirror - LH
  COMING SOON
  COMING
  SOON
  1965-68 GTO/Tempest/Lemans Remote Mirror - RH
  COMING SOON
  RPE158T
  $49.00

1966-72 R-59 Battery Topper
  IN STOCK
  RPE222
  $10.00

1968-72 GTO/Tempest/Lemans Firewall Plastic
 Plug   IN STOCK
  RPE222A
  $10.00

1968-72 Firewall Grommet (3-Hole)
  Now Available
  RPE222B
  $10.00
  1968-72 Firewall Grommet without AC
  Now Available
  RPE222C
  $11.00
  1964-72 GM Rubber Firewall Cover
  Now Available
  RPE239K
  $89.00

1967-68 Disc Brake Hold Off Valve
  Now Available
  RPE239L
  $89.00

1969 Disc brake Hold Off Valve
  Now Available
  RPE239J
  $89.00

1970 GM Disc Brake Hold Off Valve
  Now Available
  RPE239S
  $18.00

1971-77 Prop Valve Switch
  Now Available
  RPE439MK
  $389.00

69-70 Steel Upper R/A Pan Kit
  IN STOCK
  RPE67
  $109.00

1964-67 Fan Blade (18")
  IN STOCK
  RPE67A
  $109.00
  1968-74 Flex Fan
  Now Available
  RPF16H
  $40.00

1964-67 Park Lamp Housing Assembly
  IN STOCK
  RPF69E
  $39.00
  1968-69 GTO Grille Molding (LH)
  Now Available
  RPF69F
  $39.00
  1968-69 GTO Grille Molding (RH)
  Now Available
  RPI572AK
  $119.00

1965 GTO Grab Bar Kit
  Now Available
  RPI572BK
  $119.00

1966 GTO Grab Bar Kit
  Now Available
  RPI572CK
  $119.00

1967 GTO Grab Bar Kit
  Now Available
  RPI67
  $350.00
  1967 Dash without AC - Black
  Now Available
  RPI735
  $26.00

1969-81 Deflector Vent Assembly
  Now Available
  RPI735A
  $19.00

1969-72 Dash Vent Bezel - Narrow Base
  Now Available
  RPI735B
  $89.00

1970-72 Dash Vent Bezel - Wide Base
  Now Available
  RPD97
  $199.00

1969-72 Remote Mirror
  Now Available
  RPI670
  $20.00

1966-67 Black Auto Shift Handle
  Now Available
  RPI671
  $30.00

1962-65 Shift Knob - AT chrome
  Now Available
  RPI671B
  $18.00

1964-68 Auto Floor Shifter Button
  Now Available
  RPR49
  $25.00

1966-67 Vinyl Top Molding
  Clips (8 pcs)   IN STOCK
  RPR72V
  $11.95

1964-67 Gas Tank Vent Tube
  IN STOCK
  RPT128
  $69.00

1969-72 Trunk Lamp Kit - Hardtop
  Now Available
  RPT128C
  $69.00

1969-72 Trunk Lamp Kit - Convertible
  Now Available
  RPT46
  $159.00

1969 GTO Deck Lid Molding Kit
  Now Available
  RPU62C
  $15.00

1969-78 Banjo Bolts
  IN STOCK
  RPZ226
  $15.00

Hurst Floor Shift T-shirt
  Now Available
  RPZ227
  $15.00

"Competition/Plus by Hurst" T-Shirt
  Now Available

CLASSIC ADVERTISEMENT PRINTS

RPZ62 - 65 GTO Photo Ad 24 X 32" - $39.00
  RPZ62A - 65 GTO Photo Ad "Our Thing" - $39.00
  RPZ62B - 65 GTO Photo Ad "Have New Tigers" - $39.00
  RPZ62C - 65 GTO Photo Ad "Purists" - $39.00
  RPZ62D - 65 GTO Photo Ad - Old Chinese - $39.00
  RPZ63 - 66 GTO Photo Ad - Side View - $39.00
  RPZ63A - 66 GTO Photo Ad-Speak Soft - $39.00
  RPZ64 - 67 GTO Photo Ad - Great One - $39.00
  RPZ65 - 68 GTO Photo Ad - GM Lineup - $39.00
  RPZ65A - 68 GTO Photo Ad - Return - $39.00
  RPZ65B - 68 GTO Photo Ad - 5 Years - $39.00
  RPZ65C - 68 GTO Photo Ad - Get One - $39.00
  RPZ65D - 68 GTO Photo Ad - Others - $39.00
  RPZ65E - 68 GTO Photo Ad - Woodward - $39.00
  RPZ65F - 68 GTO Photo Ad - Dream Sequence - $39.00
  RPZ66 - 69 GTO Judge Photo Ad-Born Great - $39.00
  RPZ66A - 69 GTO Judge Photo Ad - $39.00
  RPZ66B - 69 GTO Judge Photo Ad-All Rise - $39.00
  RPZ67 - 70 GTO Photo Ad- The Humbler - $39.00
  RPZ67A - 70 GTO Judge Photo Ad -Silence - $39.00
  RPZ69 - 72 GTO Photo Ad - Life - $39.00

RFZ90 - 67 F/B Photo Ad- Never Go Back - $39.00
  RFZ90A - 67 F/B Photo Ad - Car Life - $39.00
  RFZ90B - 67 F/B Photo Ad - Too Much Car - $39.00
  RFZ91 - 68 F/B Photo Ad - GM Lineup - $39.00
  RFZ91A - 68 F/B Photo Ad - Ram Air II - $39.00
  RFZ91B - 68 F/B Photo Ad - Two Points - $39.00
  RFZ91C - 68 F/B Phot Ad - Heavyweight - $39.00
  RFZ91D - 68 F/B Photo Ad - Lt. Heavyweight - $39.00
  RFZ92 - 69 F/B Photo Ad - Good Word - $39.00
  RFZ92A - 69 F/B Photo Ad - The Graduate - $39.00
  RFZ93 - 70 F/B & T/A Photo Ad - Beginning - $39.00
  RFZ93A - 70 F/B & T/A Photo Ad - $39.00
  RFZ94 - 71 T/A Phot Ad - Never Fly - $39.00
  RFZ95 - 73 F/B & T/A Photo Ad -In Case - $39.00
  RFZ96 - 74 F/B Photo Ad - $39.00
  RFZ97 - 78 F/B & T/A Photo Ad - $39.00
  RFZ98 - 79 T/A Photo Ad - New Breed - $39.00
  RFZ98A - 79 F/B & T/A Photo Ad - $39.00
  RFZ98B - 79 T/A Photo Ad - Very Rare - $39.00
  RFZ99 - 80 F/B & T/A Photo Ad - $39.00

GOOD NEWS!!   We just got word that the vacuum power
  brake fitting for the 1967 Rochester Carburetor has been
  reproduced. We are unsure if we will be carrying this fitting
  yet but keep an eye out for them to begin appearing on
  Ebay very soon.

COMING UP
in Future Issues

PY Forums Technical Tip
You know it's there and you've even gone in once or twice but it's always empty. Next issue, a look at the PY Chat Room, it's features, it's convenience and musings on why it's never used.

PJ Featured Rides
We'll choose another three rides to feature. Check back to see if your ride won!!

Pontiac Technical Articles
We'll continue to look at Pontiac Radios by focusing on Big Pontiac and Firebird Radios.

PJ Specials
Each new issue of the Pontiac Journal means a new list of special discounts offered to our loyal readers. Check back next issue, your wallet will thank you!!

AND...
Any other Pontiac news-worthy information, stories, trends and developments that come across our desks.

Credits

Publisher
Chris Casperson

Editor-in-Chief
Chris Casperson

Production Manager
Steve Craig

Contributing Writers
Chris Casperson
Don Keefe

Technical Editor
John Buchta

Last edited by dm_fan; 04-16-2008 at 03:25 PM.
Old 11-14-2007, 03:56 PM
Administrator

Sorry Everyone,
It looks like the Product links were not working. But I think I have them all fixed now.

Thanks
Steve