Old 02-04-2013, 01:13 AM

Default Fuel line

I purchased a fuel line from PY that goes from the fuel pump to the carb. I went to put it on today and it seems to not fit because it hits the power steering pump bracket. Does anyone else have this problem?

Old 02-04-2013, 01:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GP Fan View Post
The plastic tube actually holds several wires. I think it is supposed to fasten to the firewall or something. Not sure.

So if I run the speed-o cable directly from the dash to the tranny what route does it take? Does it go from dash, through firewall to trans? or is there another more direct route?
I think the plastic tube you are talking about covers the wires that run along the intake to protect them from the heat.

Old 02-06-2013, 01:08 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by GP Fan View Post
I purchased a fuel line from PY that goes from the fuel pump to the carb. I went to put it on today and it seems to not fit because it hits the power steering pump bracket. Does anyone else have this problem?
After making sure that you've received the correct fuel line for a '69 GP, I would double check the fuel pump as well to make sure its correct with the fuel line fitting in the proper location. The '69 GP fuel pump is specific and not shared with anything else that year. The original Delco part number is 40678. Here's an NOS pump on ebay for reference... Fuel Pump

Last edited by 428ho4spd; 02-06-2013 at 01:09 AM. Reason: link
Old 02-20-2013, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 428ho4spd View Post
After making sure that you've received the correct fuel line for a '69 GP, I would double check the fuel pump as well to make sure its correct with the fuel line fitting in the proper location. The '69 GP fuel pump is specific and not shared with anything else that year. The original Delco part number is 40678. Here's an NOS pump on ebay for reference... Fuel Pump
Ya, after looking, it is a different fuel pump. Will probably just bend the fuel line to make it fit.

Old 02-23-2013, 02:10 PM

Here is my latest problem. Getting ready to fire engine back up and went to put alternator, water pump and belts back on. The PS pump and alternator pulleys line up with the cam pulley, but the water pump pulley protrudes outward another 3/4 inch or so past those pulleys. I had a guy go through the engine when it was out of the car. He installed a new water pump at that time. I know that there are 2 different water pumps with different snout lengths for that year. I believe he installed the correct short snouted pump (about 3.5 inches). It is the same alternator bracket and water pump pulleys that came off originally, so why will nothing line up? Any and all suggestions welcome.

Old 02-23-2013, 02:54 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Sounds like he put the long snout type pump on to me.

Old 02-24-2013, 12:23 PM

In post number 12 of this thread, the picture of your newly painted engine, it sure looks like the pulleys don't line up. I'd have to say wrong water pump also if that's the case.

Old 03-24-2013, 12:14 AM

Default Name that wire

Its been a long winter but I am back at it now trying to get the grand prix running and in shape for the summer. I purchased a new engine wire harness and I am unable to identify where 2 wires attach. The green wire and the black wire with a white stripe pictured. Both come out near the alternator. I am thinking the green wire attaches to a temp sensor on the intake manifold but it does not fit. Any help would be welcome! I was hoping PY would send something telling me where everything hooks up considering many old cars have had some creative wiring done so you cant necessarily copy that. Thanks
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	104_0686.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	49.0 KB
ID:	317233  

Old 03-24-2013, 07:39 AM

The green wire is the temp sending unit, if it doesn't fit your sender you need to replace it with a blade style sending unit. The black w/white stripe is for an "idle stop solenoid". If it's not required on your car, tuck it back into the harness. Dave

Old 03-26-2013, 12:34 PM

I want to thank everyone who has helped me out with all of my questions. Without your knowledge I truly would not even have this car half done. This really is a great resource for amateurs like me. With any luck, it will be rolling down the road by mid summer. Thanks alot!

Old 03-26-2013, 12:41 PM

I am going to try to get pictures and posts going again, so I thought I would give an update. Recently changed the spark plugs, put new spark plug wires and hooked up new engine wire harness. I was just kinda winging it with the engine wire harness hook ups so hopefully I got that all right. I am still not sure how all the wires hook up to the horn relay so if anyone has a picture or can describe it please pass it on. I couldnt help myself the other day, I put an old battery in it and turned the key just to see if it would turn over or if I had dash lights. Got a red generator light, red light at speedometer and underdash light, but no other dash lights. Turned the key and got the starter to engage, and some sparks and smoke from the battery. Decided that was enough. Excited to see some life! First time in 2 years. But not sure why dash lights didnt come on and why all the sparks and smoke. Anyway, went and bought a new battery. Havent tried it yet, but looking forward to it. Will hook up coolant system, fuel lines and vacuum hoses this weekend and see if we cant get it running.

Old 04-23-2013, 06:05 PM

Slapped some chrome valve covers on the other day. It really dresses things up. Right now I have the motor restarted. Still trying to work some bugs out. 2 steps forward and one step back. But progress is slowly being made. I would still like to have it driveable by June. Once I get the bugs out of the engine will start in on the brakes, then it goes to a professional for vinyl top and glass. Cant Wait!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	104_0690.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	90.0 KB
ID:	320983   Click image for larger version

Name:	104_0691.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	91.9 KB
ID:	320984  

Old 05-19-2013, 09:16 AM
Senior Chief

I had a cast waterpump on mine.worked good when I removed engine .I also clearanced the divider plate(make sure you do that .050).when it started leaking I assumed the new NAPA WP Impeller was in the same location NOT.Wont go into details here but after a year of trouble shooting and a leaking head gasket due to overheating it is fixed.Word of advice watch that temp gauge and fill with a spill proof funnel when you first start it.That upper hose is higher than the filler neck.Clearance the WP impeller and use a cast impeller only .Federal is the brand Im using now and it runs at 170F Perfect

BOB SLUSSER
937-286-4343
Old 01-20-2015, 12:39 AM

Well it has been a long time, but I thought I would make an update. Life has gotten very busy so while I am Oh so close to having my 69 GP complete, it still has a few things that need to be done. Wanted to post some pics. I am hoping to get going on it again this winter or spring.

Old 01-20-2015, 12:44 AM

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	42.2 KB
ID:	387918

Old 01-20-2015, 12:46 AM

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	45.0 KB
ID:	387919