Old 10-02-2022, 06:03 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default RA III stroker build

Thought I’d start a new thread on my plans to build a 4.00 in. stroker out of the RA III in my ‘70 TA. I started the journey today with starting to get ready to pull the engine and transmission. It’s been a while since I’ve done this, and I definitely have some questions.

I stayed with draining the radiator, removing radiator, shroud, fan, pulleys. I just pushed the p/s pump to the side but did not disconnect any lines. Pulled the starter, oil filter housing and fuel pump. When I was removing the fuel pump, the gas line just kept draining? I’m not sure how much gas I have in the tank, but I filled up a 5-gallon gas container before I just plugged the line with a bolt. I also disconnected the exhaust. That was about it for today.

Can the engine come out with the RA manifolds on?
Should I remove the distributor?
Since I’m rebuilding the trans as well, can that stay attached and just pull them as a unit?

I’m sure I’ll have more questions as I go along. As always, appreciate the feedback I get here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old 10-02-2022, 06:45 PM
Ultimate Warrior

If it's a manual tranny, I'd pull it with the engine. (couldn't tell what tranny it was from pics, but rebuilding it may be a TH400?)

If automatic, yes leave attached, very heavy to get out while under car.
(best to have a plug for rear tailshaft)

I'd leave the distributor in and I think the exhaust manifolds can stay on.
(been a long time since I had RA manifolds)

Winner of Top Class at Pontiac Nationals, 2004 Cordova
Winner of Quick 16 At Ames 2004 Pontiac Tripower Nats

KRE's MR-1 - 1st 5 second Pontiac block ever!

"Every man has a right to his own opinion, but no man has a right to be wrong in his facts."

"People demand freedom of speech to make up for the freedom of thought which they avoid." – Socrates
Old 10-02-2022, 06:57 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Thanks John. Car is a manual (M21) and that needs a rebuild, or at least a reseal, because it’s leaking gear oil.

Should I also drain the transmission as well? Will that make it a little less sloppy if I pull them together?

Old 10-02-2022, 07:25 PM
Ultimate Warrior

You can use an old yoke to put in tranny or tie a plastic bag around the tail shaft.

Winner of Top Class at Pontiac Nationals, 2004 Cordova
Winner of Quick 16 At Ames 2004 Pontiac Tripower Nats

KRE's MR-1 - 1st 5 second Pontiac block ever!

"Every man has a right to his own opinion, but no man has a right to be wrong in his facts."

"People demand freedom of speech to make up for the freedom of thought which they avoid." – Socrates
Old 10-03-2022, 05:51 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Engine leveler is a MUST if you leave transmission on..
My 2 cents.

Old 10-03-2022, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Formulabruce View Post
Engine leveler is a MUST if you leave transmission on..
My 2 cents.

Did mine without and used a floor jack on the trans to get the angle, used a leveler for the c2. I like the leveler but the handles always suck. Replace it with a wooden handle and save your self the aggravation.

77 T/A- poncho 400| T-10|3.23| I beams|Hyper flat top pistons|Kre heads|Scorpion rockers|Xr276 hydro roller|Rpm intake|Smi qjet|Subframe connectors|Rancho sways|Mcleod super street|hydro clutch|More i cant remember
Old 10-04-2022, 11:40 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vroom_vroom View Post
Did mine without and used a floor jack on the trans to get the angle, used a leveler for the c2. I like the leveler but the handles always suck. Replace it with a wooden handle and save your self the aggravation.

I have one of those engine levelers. What do you mean by ‘Wooden handle’? I think mine has a knob that rotates. I’ll dig it out of basement and post a photo.

Old 10-04-2022, 04:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by racerboy View Post
I have one of those engine levelers. What do you mean by ‘Wooden handle’? I think mine has a knob that rotates. I’ll dig it out of basement and post a photo.

They do but it’s a cheap plastic turd that keeps trying to work its way off. Went rouge with a broom handle and lag bolt and had a much better experience.

77 T/A- poncho 400| T-10|3.23| I beams|Hyper flat top pistons|Kre heads|Scorpion rockers|Xr276 hydro roller|Rpm intake|Smi qjet|Subframe connectors|Rancho sways|Mcleod super street|hydro clutch|More i cant remember
Old 10-04-2022, 05:30 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Mine has a 13/16" nut on it and I use a battery impact on it, works great.

Old 10-06-2022, 03:50 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I think since I have to do this all alone, I’m just going to pull the driveshaft, unbolt the trans, and slide it back. Does the shifter come off as a unit up through the interior, or can I sort of lower the trans with it still attached? I think my 1967 GTO shifter handle just slid in from the top and sort of clicked in place. But I think these shifter handles bolt in place? Do I have that right? I’d prefer not to have to pull up the carpet in the car, if that’s possible.

Old 10-06-2022, 05:03 PM
Ultimate Warrior

If it's an OEM style Hurst shifter then yes the stick will push in and out. If it's the aftermarket Hurst shifter then the stick bolts on.

If the trans also needs a refresh and has to come out I generally pull everything as a unit. Being a muncie it doesn't matter much either way, they don't weigh enough to sway me one way or the other. Can just as easily pull that out by itself and then yank the engine. Up to you and what you have to work with.

I use one of these engine tilters on all my engine jobs and makes life a breeze. Works well with or without the trans attached.

https://www.macscustomtiedowns.com/p...t-plate-701001

https://youtu.be/XqEydRRRwqE
Old 10-06-2022, 06:35 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Thanks FJ. I had a little time before dinner to get to shop and pulled the driveshaft. I did take a better picture of where it goes into the trans so you guys could tell me if it is too short.

Also, does this picture reveal the heather the handle is a slip in unit or bolt-on? How do you remove the slip on one?

Old 10-06-2022, 06:38 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Another pic.

Old 10-07-2022, 05:47 PM
Ultimate Warrior

That DS looks slightly short by an inch maybe.. but thats just from pic

Old 10-07-2022, 06:57 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Formulabruce View Post
That DS looks slightly short by an inch maybe.. but thats just from pic

Thanks FB.
I got drive shaft out as well as shifter handle. I’m going to disconnect shifter tomorrow and hopefully pull everything on Sunday.

Old 10-07-2022, 07:11 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I used a feeler gauge to get shifter handle out.

Old 10-08-2022, 08:21 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default RA III stroker build

Ali got driveshaft out, shifter, motor mount bolts, and even the RA manifolds are unbolted (one is out). I tried lifting it with the hoist but because the car is about 6 -8 inches higher than the hoist, it kept butting up against the nose of the car. I have a moving blanket there, but it made me nervous? Any recommendations? I may have to roll it off the lift to pull engine, and then figure a way to get it back on the lift.

This shows the lift and hoist. I have to raise car about 6-8 in. to slide hoist under car.

Last edited by racerboy; 10-08-2022 at 09:05 PM.
Old 10-09-2022, 12:15 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Removing the water pump and lower pulleys should do the trick or position hoist hook.towards the front to increase engine to.tilt upward. I.useto even flatten front tire to.get it a little lower.

Old 10-09-2022, 08:24 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Would it help to remove the transmission? It looks like it would slide right out if I unbolted it from the bellhousing. Maybe if I get one of the HarborFreight trans jacks?

Old 10-09-2022, 03:34 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I was able to get engine out by removing the transmission first.