WELCOME!

Go Back   PY Online Forums - Bringing the Pontiac Hobby Together > PY Welcomes 2004-06 GTO Owners > 04-06 Wheels/Tires

04-06 Wheels/Tires Stay stock or go custom?

Old 02-15-2007, 07:27 PM
Senior Chief

Default Tire problems

Local news station has found problems with the strut rubbing on the inside edge of tires and causing blowouts,the NHTSA is investigating.

http://www.newsnet5.com/station/11011370/detail.html

http://www.autosafety.org/article.php?scid=37&did=1276

Craig
Old 02-15-2007, 09:01 PM
Senior Chief

Just to clarify, the problem isn't the tires themselves. It's an alignment issue. The Monaro was designed to run 18" wheels with 235mm tires. GM put 17" wheels with 245s on the majority of '04-'06 GTOs. So unless the camber is adjusted to the maximum positive end of the specs the front tires may rub on the struts. GM's warranty covers alignment issues up to 7500 miles. I noticed a minor case of rubbing on my passenger side at 10K...no signs of tire wear, just some paint rubbed off the strut.

I had only 1/8" clearance on the passenger side and 1/4" on the drivers side. I took it to my dealership and they aligned it under warranty even though I was past 7500 miles. Afterward I had just over 1/2" clearance on both sides. As soon as I got the car home I pulled the passenger side wheel off and repainted the scuffed strut so I could tell if it happened again. I'm now just past 19K...no scuffs, no abnormal tire wear, and I still have 1/2" clearance on both sides.

Last edited by Jeff R; 02-17-2007 at 03:08 PM.
Old 02-17-2007, 08:55 AM

I agree.
A guy at work with a Mustang handed me an article about this, he was laughing I read the article... 40,000 cars and 65 complaints eight cars had blowouts and one car crashed.
Huge problem, they are all junk!
Meanwhile his Mustang a 2005 has had a heater core, a driveshaft, his rear calipers are locking up, had the seat leather replaced due to defects and it's a great car
I'll keep my lame goat, just keep checking my mirror to see if he caught up yet.
Old 02-17-2007, 03:44 PM
Senior Chief

Although my strut rub was fixed I think it is a serious safety concern. I periodically check my car for signs of rub just to be on the safe side. I was actually shocked that the NHTSA had only received 65 complaints. There are far more than 65 ls1gto.com members that have had this problem, and there are even more owners that are not members there. Even though I was treated well by my dealership I submitted my own complaint to the NHTSA referencing my post above and pointing them to ls1gto.com. They need to push GM to fix the problem before some unwitting GTO driver kills himself or someone else.