Old 03-04-2021, 12:57 PM

Default LS swap coolant

Are you running green glycol or the orange Dexcool that was used in the LS engine?

Old 03-04-2021, 03:43 PM
Ultimate Warrior

When I had to replace the waterpump in my 05 GTO (2017) I drained and flushed the Dex Cool out, and switched to the universal extended life green type that is compatible with any coolant. Going on 4 years now with no issues.

Considering the block and heads are aluminum in an LS2 there was definite scale and sediment when I flushed it. The new coolant is 5 years 100,000 miles life expectancy. The Dex Cool was 12 years old, so it was well beyond it's life expectancy. The mileage was within, but the time was long expired.

I never was a fan of the Dex Cool, it always looks thickened, even when it's not been contaminated with any other antifreeze. I've got old cars that have sat for decades with the same green antifreeze in them that look better than the Dex Cool cars.

I also have a 99 3.1 GP that I swapped from Dex Cool to green antifreeze, still has the original radiator. I also swapped my 2008 Vibe from Dex Cool to green when the cooling fan motor went to hell, and the fan chewed up the radiator, and needed replacement. It has over 310,000 miles on it, functioning just fine.

1984 Grand Prix

100% Pontiacs in my driveway!!! What's in your driveway?

If you don't take some of the RACETRACK home with you, Ya got cheated

Last edited by Sirrotica; 03-04-2021 at 03:55 PM.
Old 03-04-2021, 03:56 PM

I'm swapping in an iron block with aluminum head LS truck engine in my 68. I plan on retaining the brass radiator and heater core. From what I have read, Dexcool eats the solder joints. I wonder what the universal green does. Do you have a specific brand? I guess that will help if not all the Dexcool gets flushed out.

Old 03-04-2021, 04:07 PM
Ultimate Warrior

All the cars I swapped to green had aluminum radiators, so I can't offer anything on my own personal as far as a brass radiator. The 3.1 has iron block with aluminum heads as does the Vibe.

All I do know is that the green never ate any of the old radiators up, my 6.5 diesel has a brass radiator, and iron heads and block. Non original brass radiator has a ton of miles on it (truck has 270,000 on it) and has green in it also. I cleaned the system with white vinegar and then flushed it in 2017 before doing some traveling with it pulling my fifth wheel camper. I wanted to make sure the cooling system was working at optimum efficiency as 6.5 turbo diesels can heat up when pulling a load.

I used Carquest in all the vehicles mentioned, but I'm 99% sure someone else makes it for Carquest. I has to meet certain specs no matter who makes it, so a lot of it is private label, same as Carquest is.

1984 Grand Prix

100% Pontiacs in my driveway!!! What's in your driveway?

If you don't take some of the RACETRACK home with you, Ya got cheated