Ultimate Warrior

John V, this may help some:

http://442.com/oldsfaq/ofdif.htm#DIF Differential Codes

http://gtoaa.org/
The Following User Says Thank You to Kenth For This Useful Post:
Old 11-14-2013, 08:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John V. View Post
Pretty unlikely that Fremont would have stamped the axle. Fremont didn't assemble axles, they just installed them.

So the code was likely stamped at the Axle Plant at the Pontiac complex before being shipped to Fremont as a complete rear axle assembly.

Is the Olds axle a '64 or '65? If '64, do you know the '64 Olds axle codes? What axle ratio is it? I see an "S" and a "J", how come they are spaced apart like that? Is that typical for the Olds axles?
Then explain why a Fremont car has the SJ code stamped like that and a Lansing car has it stamped like this...

Both a 65 Pontiac rear ends. And not the only ones like this, have seen plently stamped like these two.

Old 11-14-2013, 09:00 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Lansing DID assemble the rear axle assembly themselves, they only purchased the axle subassembly from the Pontiac Plant for F-85s built at Lansing.

The subassembly included the Housing & Axle Tubes as a part but not the brakes, so the Olds manifest axle code (which varied depending on the brake type) would not have been known when Pontiac shipped the subassembly to Lansing, Pontiac could NOT have stamped the axle code in that case.

So Lansing DID stamp the rear axle assembly AFTER they completed the assembly of the rear axle assembly.

Fremont received the complete axle assembly from the Pontiac Plant ready to install in any F-85 they built. The Pontiac Axle Plant assembled the Olds rear axle assemblies according to the Olds Engineering specifications for supply to all Plants where the F-85 would have been built EXCEPT Lansing. This undoubtedly included the stamped Olds manifest axle code as specified by Olds.

This difference in where the complete Olds axle assembly was to be assembled is outlined in the '65 F-85 Assembly Guide and I discussed this earlier in the thread.

I wasn't questioning the different fonts between the Lansing axle code stamp and those installed elsewhere, just explaining that the stamp for the Pontiac axles installed "elsewhere" in an F-85 would have been stamped at Pontiac and not at Fremont.

The axles installed in a Tempest built at Fremont were also stamped at the Pontiac Axle Plant and shipped to Fremont complete, ready to install.

They were stamped with Pontiac manifest axle codes which were NOT the same as the Olds codes.

I am also trying to learn here.

I assume the example stamped at the Pontiac Plant is consistent, letters spread apart. Read in a reverse sequence to boot.

So I also assume that example code is intended to read as SJ, meaning an F-85 3.55 axle with std. brakes and locking differential?

I wonder why the codes were stamped that way. Pontiac stamped axles for use in the Tempest with the letters side by side. Weird that Pontiac would stamp them in a different fashion when they stamped the Olds assemblies. Especially when Lansing stamped the letters side by side too, doesn't look like Olds would have specified them to be stamped spaced apart. Just a curiosity, doubt that it is meaningful except that it would be useful to an Olds restorer to know how his axle "should" have been stamp coded depending on where the car was built.

The Following User Says Thank You to John V. For This Useful Post:
Old 11-14-2013, 09:16 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Simpson, another question. Do you have any examples of Buick assembled F-85 axles for '65 F-85s built at Fremont?

These would have had the same Olds stamp codes with the same meaning despite the very different cast housings used.

I'm wondering, how did Buick at Flint stamp the axle tubes for the '65 F-85s built at Fremont? Same spread format as on the Pontiac assembled axles or different?

Also, do you happen to have the '65 Buick Special manifest axle code list and examples of how they were stamped? I'm assuming Buick did not share manifest axle codes with Olds or Pontiac in '65.

For '64, according to the page Kenth linked me to, the '64 F-85 was stamped the same as the Tempest with the numeric ratio and a P prefix to mean Pontiac as the vendor.

Would you happen to know, assuming Buick assembled axles in '64 using the Buick p/n housing, how did they stamp the code, did they use a B prefix to mean Buick as the vendor?

The Following User Says Thank You to John V. For This Useful Post:
Old 10-19-2022, 06:00 PM

Reading this old thread while trying to confirm the identify of the rear axle in my '64 Lemans. John V. seemed to be interested in the part number my axle has. Just FYI it's a 2.56 open, Part number 9773722 and date code of J 4 3. My car was built Oct. '63 with small bushings and narrower axle.