Old 10-19-2022, 07:33 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAUL K View Post
I thought one of the magazines opened the hood scoop for a 73 SD455 TA during a road test and gained close to two tenths ET in the quarter mile.... Maybe I'm remembering wrong. With out a doubt one should go faster with the hood scoop open. If they don't something else is wrong.
You could be right with a 73, closed off vs flap removed. As mentioned, the 70-72 has allot of crap in the scoop partially blocking and disrupting the air flow when it is working. When I had my 70 TA, it was only 7 years old. Of course everything other than the solenoid brackets were already gone. I scrounged up all the parts to fix it and make it work and I am glad I did. It's a fun little gadget and I liked watching it open and the little extra noise. In the same way I like the Mopar air grabber. It's just cool. I never noticed any difference at all performance wise.

Old 10-25-2022, 08:52 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by keith k View Post
Because the flap opening on a '70-'72 shaker isn't the size of the full potential opening. You're probably losing 25-30% of the total air that could flow through if the entire area was opened up. That's a lot of air. And the more that comes through the shaker vs. the snorkel, the lower the average inlet air temperature.
Yes and if you run a K&N filter top instead of the steel lid it frees up even more air flow....

Old 10-25-2022, 09:04 PM
Ultimate Warrior

/\ I sem to recall readin g that this was purely theoretical, and that the metal lid actually more or less induced better airflow.

Quite likely one of few '70 Muncie three speed Formula 400's left.

1991 Grand Am: 14.4 @ 93.7mph (DA corrected) (retired DD, stock appearing)
2009 Cobalt SS: 13.9 @ 103mph (current DD; makes something north of 300hp & 350ft/lbs)
Old 10-25-2022, 10:15 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by unruhjonny View Post
/\ I sem to recall readin g that this was purely theoretical, and that the metal lid actually more or less induced better airflow.
I agree it does in the absence of external air from the shaker and at higher rpm demands... If the shaker is totally opened up less the flapper and the modified motor is creating greater demands for air the filter breathable (all be it changed flow characteristics) seems to trump the stock setup in my personal experience. Down low it didn't change much of anything in my experience,, but we saw improved numbers (torque and HP) on the dyno with my car... It should be noted I was spinning them regularly about 6,000 to 7,200 roughly speaking so is it an anomaly, or at higher rpm does the filter top K&N work in that application? You decide guys,,, I'm just sharing the info I experienced...