Old 08-23-2014, 03:12 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Made the best of it. Grabbed a few beers and sat under the grandstands watching the judged cars go by. I didn't run through till the rain stopped after that loud thunder clap that sounded like a bomb

My Garage
Tarheel Tigers Pontiac Club of Raleigh, NC
Old 08-23-2014, 07:38 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 61 389-348 View Post
Thanks.

One of the concerns I have with the 8 lugs are how much in the way of lateral forces they can tolerate given the big sway bars, good shocks, HD springs and far stickier modern tires.

Once it takes a set on freeway ramps it corners at the pretty much the same speeds as my Gee Whiz and measures only slightly less at .85g versus .90 on the Gee Whiz. That's compared to what was likely about .63g way back when on the oem 63 tires. I don't know what the 8 lugs are capable of with regards to lateral loadings and don't want to find out. You go off the road at 70 on a freeway ramp marked 30, you're in a whole big heap of trouble, and I likely wouldn't be posting anymore.

As far as stopping capabilities on the 8 lugs, it will stop as quickly as the Gee Whiz on the RE-11s, but I probably couldn't do it 6 or 7 times. But for normal driving with normal emergencies requiring a full-on max-G stop one or maybe even a couple of times, they're fine.

No way I'm going disks.
That is what I think too. If you have the old asbestos type shoes and good linings, the braking is pretty respectable as long as you are accustomed to it. I also use the trans liberally to help slow down. I want to try discs in one car, but The lateral deal with the 8-lug discs is not for me until I see something new and different. Too much margin for error. With the drums there is a lot more lateral strength built in.

13 Smiles per Gallon:
66 Bonneville wagon
66 Bonneville 2d HT - In perpetual progress
Old 08-23-2014, 09:24 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrierblue66 View Post
Made the best of it. Grabbed a few beers and sat under the grandstands watching the judged cars go by. I didn't run through till the rain stopped after that loud thunder clap that sounded like a bomb
I stopped for breakfast at the Bob Evans down from the HOtel and was there when the rain started. So I moved my car next door to under the entrance awning of a closed medical building for about five hours. What a bunch of fun that was.

Old 08-23-2014, 09:31 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by 61 389-348 View Post
I stopped for breakfast at the Bob Evans down from the HOtel and was there when the rain started. So I moved my car next door to under the entrance awning of a closed medical building for about five hours. What a bunch of fun that was.
Guess we were close. I was at the American Inn & Suites. I was already parked when it started, knew it was coming, but after the weather I hit 20 mins outta Dayton last year (flash flood, hail and tornado warnings) the car can handle anything

My Garage
Tarheel Tigers Pontiac Club of Raleigh, NC
Old 08-23-2014, 09:37 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deadhead View Post
That is what I think too. If you have the old asbestos type shoes and good linings, the braking is pretty respectable as long as you are accustomed to it. I also use the trans liberally to help slow down. I want to try discs in one car, but The lateral deal with the 8-lug discs is not for me until I see something new and different. Too much margin for error. With the drums there is a lot more lateral strength built in.
"With the drums there is a lot more lateral strength built in"

I sure hope it's enough. I don't intend to drive this way, but end up fooling around once in a while. I generally only do it on right hand turns or ramps because I can brace myself against the door panel and stay in the seat. I don't have that option on left hand turns. There's zero lateral support in the 62 - 65 seats.

I have taken both the G8 and 63 to a local show where I had a friend driving my G8 following me around a ramp, said he really was pretty well maxed out on that ramp and wouldn't have felt comfortable going any faster and he was behind me. He also commented how little body roll there was in the 63 going full tilt like that. I just hope the 8 lugs are up to it because nothing cornered like that back in those days on the tires from back in the day to test those drums.

The brakes however, I feel entirely comfortable with.

Old 08-23-2014, 09:40 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrierblue66 View Post
Guess we were close. I was at the American Inn & Suites. I was already parked when it started, knew it was coming, but after the weather I hit 20 mins outta Dayton last year (flash flood, hail and tornado warnings) the car can handle anything
I still have that right side rear window leak into the trunk that I've never been able to find so I go to great lengths to keep it out of the rain.

But yeah, I use rainex on the windshield so I'm fine otherwise. And the Michelin Primacys are great in the rain.

Old 11-12-2022, 06:23 PM

Is Arrowhead Comp still around...I purchased 2 front drums 10 years back, still in their boxes....are they any good before I attempt to use them?

1967 Executive Wagon (Plum Mist), Org. paint, Org 35K miles
1981 Bonneville Brougham Coupe (Black) Moonroof, Org. 11K miles
Old 11-12-2022, 10:36 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

They are a high quality wheel. I ran a set on my Catalina for over 10 years and they were very good.