THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Old 09-03-2022, 09:24 AM
Senior Chief

I wouldn’t be putting off purchasing anything NOS I could afford now. I bought a lot of small stuff when I had very little money and more expensive stuff when I could afford it. It was 16 years from my first ride until the second, had lots of stuff done and bought before I even started, I know I’m not typical but this stuff isn’t getting any cheaper.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old 09-03-2022, 11:24 AM
Ultimate Warrior

During the Covid shutdown, my employer gave us a week off without pay every quarter. I was bored, so I decided to load my toolbox and visit some of the country junk yards I visited over the years.

First stop was a guy who bought cars over the scale. I was able to wander the yard, not a single 60s or 70s Pontiac except a really rusty late 1970s Firebird.

The next two no longer allowed you to just look around. Another one charged an admission fee, but it was obvious all they had was late model stuff.

I knew a couple of guys who lived out in the country and hauled scrap cars for a living. The county had shut both down.

After a full day of roaming, I came away with nothing. I'm sure there may be a few individuals with a junk car in their back yard, or buried under a ton of stuff in their basement or workshop, but any car that sits outside in the heat and rain for the last 40 - 50 years is going to return to the earth it came from.

Good luck in your searches. I tried to buy up all the parts I would need for future restorations years ago, probably don't have everything I need.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Half-Inch Stud View Post
All relevant. I used to enjoy selling what parts i gathered. Noticed the regulars at dawn, before the Gates would open.

Problem i reasoned is i (we all, you all, yinz, you'nz) can only sell the part once. The junkyards and discoveries just don't happen for me anymore.

The Following User Says Thank You to poncho-mike For This Useful Post:
Old 09-03-2022, 04:54 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by dataway View Post
The reason I asked the original question is because right now I'm putting off some aspects of restoration in hopes of being able to find NOS parts in the future, at that point in the future the expense wouldn't be a concern.

I've only been happy with about 20% of the reproduction parts I've used, most of them just barely acceptable, more often than not ... total crap.

I've seen high end restorers find NOS parts for cars from the 30's, I've seen them find NOS for oddball foreign makes. Guys like Jay Leno apparently have people than can find him original parts for anything in the world

So ... two or three years from now when I start looking in earnest ... am I going to be able to find ... say ... NOS 68 door panels, valance, trim pieces, console door, instrument panel etc. ? Would I be well served by putting a wanted ad in something like Hemmings?

Years ago I hung out a while with a guy that had some very early 60's Corvettes .. it was all Hemmings, all NOS, no reproduction parts, very very picky bunch. And .. people would come up with what they needed, yes crazy prices, but someone always had the stuff.
I would recommend putting the word out for those parts with people you know in the hobby plus putting ads in Hemmings, Smoke Signals (I've ALWAYS gotten responses from what few ads I've put in Smokes), and other mags that play to sources of what you are looking for.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 61-63 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-22-2022, 10:20 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by muscle_collector View Post
ive never heard of any secret underground parts sellers, but as with anything, a lot of it is who you know. also in the last few years i have turned loose of several very rare items to a few of the top restorers in the country and it is because they are willing to pay up for certain parts to get their hands on them. i cant tell you how many times someone calls and tells me how bad they need a part and then when i offer to sell it they think they are entitled to get it for a give a way price or they dont think they should pay shipping for it. i personally would rather throw it in a car and crush it than sell it to a whinebag.( and i dont care what its worth or how rare it is)
I’ve been on both sides of those scenario.
Sucks when your the seller sucks when your the buyer. But sometimes there’s only so much $$ on hand and your trying to do as much as you can w what you’ve got. Family and other facets of life take precedent over the car unfortunately. Not sure it’s always someone just trying to get a deal or being entitled but more trying to make as much happen w the budget they have. Otherwise their car will never get done . I know my business requires significant investment and I have to have money for that above all else . The cars are secondary at best

selling turbos and turbo related parts since 2005!