Non Pontiac Motors in Pontiacs includes factory 403,305,350 Chevy, Buick V6,
Also Pontiac Motors in non-Pontiacs!

Old 03-15-2008, 08:59 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Andrewb70- I can say from first hand experience, the ATS spindle updgrade with the C5/6 brakes were the best thing I ever did, hands down the best handling and driving setup I've had to date.

And your 100% correct on the OEM statement regarding time spent on programing, THOUGH, with some of the new systems, you can get pretty darn close to the same drivability, enough so to where it's not a noticable difference. It does take time & patience getting there, and there are shops with extensive experience that can cut that time to a fraction. Also consider when you start doing power adders or getting away from the factory config (heads, cam, etc), your going to have to change the OE settings anyway.

I think it's great that your chosing an alternative path by going with an LS, that's what this hobby is all about, right? The way YOU want it.

1970 GTO Judge Tribute Pro-Tour Project 535 IA2
http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...d.php?t=760624
1971 Trans Am 463, 315cfm E-head Sniper XFlow EFI, TKO600 extreme, 9", GW suspension, Baer brakes, pro tour car
https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com...ght=procharger
Theme Song: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7zKAS...ature=youtu.be

Last edited by HWYSTR455; 03-15-2008 at 09:19 AM.
Old 03-15-2008, 09:13 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ponjohn
Andrew- that is an iron block--correct?

Are you planning on boosting it?
What trans?

John
John,

The L92 is 6.2 liters in displacement and has an aluminum block. The heads are very similar in design to the LS 7 heads and flow over 300 cfm stock. This combo will NA and I plan on making 420-440rwhp. With the BBC the car was 3933 pounds. The goal is to drop 300 pounds off the nose.

Andrew

Old 03-15-2008, 09:18 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by HWYSTR455
Andrewb70- I can say from first hand experience, the ATS spindle updgrade with the C5/6 brakes were the best thing I ever did, hands down the best handling and driving setup I've had to date.

And your 100% correct on the OEM statement regarding time spent on programing, THOUGH, with some of the new systems, you can get pretty darn close to the same drivability, enough so to where it's not a noticable difference. It does take time & patience getting there, and there are shops with extensive experience that can cut that time to a fraction. Also consider when you start doing power adders or getting away from the factory config (heads, cam, etc), your going to have to change the OE settings anyway.

I think it's great that your chosing an alternative path by going with an LS, that's what this hobby is all about, right? They way YOU want it.
I hear what your saying about the various new EFI systems that are on the market. If I were to go much past the stock setup I would consider an aftermarket system, but this engine combo will be relatively mild.

Andrew

Old 03-15-2008, 05:28 PM
Senior Chief

One stupid question: How can one have "a lack of interest" for several years in a car like that? Especially after you put in all that work?

Old 03-15-2008, 05:37 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by taalltheway
One stupid question: How can one have "a lack of interest" for several years in a car like that? Especially after you put in all that work?
Great question. I worked on that car for a solid 4 years. I got a little tired of messing with it. I also like new projects. So I played around with some other junk. No I'm back to the GTO.

I'm keepin the Richmond 6 spd that was behind the BBC.

Andrew

Old 03-15-2008, 06:17 PM
Senior Chief

If you ever get tired of the car again call me...i loved your car when i first read about it. The LSX-enginechoice is excellent and since the late Trans ams were equipped with them you could say they are also "Pontiac"-engines...similar power like most old bigblocks with much less weight and OEM-EFI...how will you keep the shakerscoop with the airinlet being at the front of the engine? I loved that scoop on your car...i think Yearone has come up with a solution for their "Bandit"-trans ams with LS7-engines..

Old 03-16-2008, 01:16 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I am curious as to what the L92 price was, I have been looking at replacing the 454 in my 76 swb with one, mild cam, intake, headers, maybe keep the efi, maybe not. At least in my truck the truck intake could stay, provided I can get a cable operated TB..

If I can find an L92 cheap enough I would do the swap this summer. PM me if you dont want to say, and where you got it, they are rare up here in BFE.

Old 03-16-2008, 01:50 PM
Ultimate Warrior

what wiper motor did you put on your gto andrew? I want to get rid of my original gto wiper motor and put something on it a little smaller like you have, it looks like a late 70's early 80's f body -g body motor?

Old 03-16-2008, 02:18 PM

Send a message via AIM to David Holmberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewb70
John,

This combo will NA and I plan on making 420-440rwhp.

Andrew
420-440 will be very easy with the 6.2.
Are going with a carb intake and an EFI elbow? If so 500 RWHP in a daily driver combo won't be a problem.

Should be an interesting build.

Old 03-16-2008, 04:35 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thumpin455_GTO
I am curious as to what the L92 price was, I have been looking at replacing the 454 in my 76 swb with one, mild cam, intake, headers, maybe keep the efi, maybe not. At least in my truck the truck intake could stay, provided I can get a cable operated TB..

If I can find an L92 cheap enough I would do the swap this summer. PM me if you dont want to say, and where you got it, they are rare up here in BFE.
I got the engine from a guy selling them on ls1tech.com:

http://www.ls1tech.com/forums/showth...694&highlight=

I paid $3500. There are issues with using a cable operated throttle body with the newer 58 tooth crank trigger ECUs. I talked to John at Speartech and he indicated that you must use the drive by wire throttle body. There is no reason to use the cable throttle body.

I am a little torn as to what I am going to use for the intake. I am leaning towards doing a setup similar to what Year One did on the new Bandit cars.

When I got home this afternoon I found some Edelbrock goodies waiting for me. Here are the engine mount plates:

Judging by the engine cradle these mounting plates will put the bellhousing in very close proximity to where it was before. This is critical for me since I am not changing anything rear of the engine.

The Edelbrock headers came with a complete gasket and bolt kit, but I am going to use the stock MLS exhaust gaskets and bolts. The stock gasket matches the headers well.

The headers are gorgeous!!!

The L92s feature variable valve timing. Since I am going to swap cams I will need a non VVT front cover. The balancer will also be swapped over to a C6 Corvette unit.

Shot down the intake port:

Andrew

Old 03-17-2008, 12:13 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by GREATGTO
what wiper motor did you put on your gto andrew? I want to get rid of my original gto wiper motor and put something on it a little smaller like you have, it looks like a late 70's early 80's f body -g body motor?
The wiper motor kit is from Detroit Speed and Engineering.

Andrew

Old 03-17-2008, 01:28 PM
Ultimate Warrior

A bit rich for me, the budget isnt quite that big. Through some research I found you can use the cable TB but you need to swap the 58 tooth trigger for the 24 tooth from an LS1. If the LS1 in my 98 Formy ever dies, the plan is one of these under the hood. I will keep lookin in junk yards for one, but a new one (like yours) is a much better deal IMHO, just cant swing it.

Even though I would rather see a traditional Pontiac go in, this is far better than a SBC or a BBC. I wont do it to my 70, but I do like these engines. Its tough to beat the power and economy they offer, and the drivability is nice too. I will however swap any of them I can get my hands on into my trucks.

Old 03-18-2008, 10:00 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thumpin455_GTO
Through some research I found you can use the cable TB but you need to swap the 58 tooth trigger for the 24 tooth from an LS1.
That is correct. There are a few other minor issues to consider such as the cam sensor in the front instead of in the rear, and the knock sensors being on the sides of the block instead of in the lifter valley. I just didn't want to dig into the short block.

Andrew

Old 03-18-2008, 01:59 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Sweet.

Old 03-18-2008, 07:45 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Parts are slowly starting to trickle in. I got the proper cam gear to use with the LS7 cam. I also got a take off C6 water pump.

For the sake of my sanity, I removed the lifter valley cover just to double check that this engine does not have Displacement on Demand. It does not.

Andrew

Old 03-19-2008, 11:27 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Received the Keisler aluminum bellhousing today. Nice piece.

Andrew

Old 03-20-2008, 06:36 PM
Senior Chief

Quote:
When starting a project I think it is very important to have a goal in mind of what you envision your final build to be. How often will it be driven? Will it be raced? Drag? Road race? How often? All those things play an important role in determining what product to use on the car.
If I was to Realistically consider all of the above, all stock would be all that is needed for my Lemans...lol., But I want to make some improvements to its current braking, Handling and power. With all of the "trick" components that are avalable and there "drool" effect, I have to keep reminding myself of that!

As far as your Engine swap, Has anyone else attempted an install of The L92 into a similar musclecar?.....I cant believe there are headers avalable for an 08 engine into a 70 GTO!

Do you use a factory ECM or is something else avalable?

What are your plans for the fuel delivery system?

....my friend has a 37 ford pickup/ street rod that has an all aluminum LS6 engine, currently it runs rich, very rich. We found that there was approx. 85lbs. of fuel pressure when there should have been only 55lbs...there is only one fuel line running from the in-tank pump to the engine, no regulator or return line. We are currently trying to fix this properly....thats why I was asking about your fuel system plans.

Keep the pic's coming!

Old 03-21-2008, 12:27 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrenchmen
As far as your Engine swap, Has anyone else attempted an install of The L92 into a similar musclecar?.....I cant believe there are headers avalable for an 08 engine into a 70 GTO!

Do you use a factory ECM or is something else avalable?

What are your plans for the fuel delivery system?

....my friend has a 37 ford pickup/ street rod that has an all aluminum LS6 engine, currently it runs rich, very rich. We found that there was approx. 85lbs. of fuel pressure when there should have been only 55lbs...there is only one fuel line running from the in-tank pump to the engine, no regulator or return line. We are currently trying to fix this properly....thats why I was asking about your fuel system plans.

Keep the pic's coming!
There have been numerous Gen III/IV engine swaps into all kinds of A-bodies. It is a fairly well documented swap. I plan on using one of the new GM Performance harness and ECU packages. My GTO already has an EFI ready fuel system with an intake pump. I plan on installing a 2000 Corvette filter/regulator in the rear, by the tank. Simple deal. For your friend's 37 you definitely need to install a regulator and return line. Set it to 58psi.

Lots of goodies showed up today including the L76 intake manifold kit:

Andrew

Last edited by andrewb70; 03-21-2008 at 12:57 AM.
Old 03-21-2008, 08:22 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Awesome. Are you documenting the swap on your website?

Old 03-21-2008, 08:05 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_GTO
Awesome. Are you documenting the swap on your website?
I don't have a personal website. I am documenting the swap on this, and a few other forums.

Today I took off the truck balancer and the front cover. This is what the VVT system looks like:

The VVT cam use a single bolt to attach the cam gear and VVT mechanism:

The LS7 cam uses the typical 3 bolt style cam gear. You just have to make sure to get the correct gear with the right pattern of bumps for the cam sensor. I got mine as a handy little kit from Lingenfelter.

Once the cam was installed I bolted on an LS2 from cover along with a C6 water pump and balancer. With the exception of the hollow stem valves, and of course the LS7 cam, this is pretty much an LS3 now.

I also installed the AutoKraft oilpan. I really wanted to use an OEM style cast pan, but no one seems to agree what pan will work best. So I went with something that is proven to fit and retains the oil filter in the stock location.

Tomorrow I will be installing some Patriot Gold dual springs and doing some minor detailing.

Andrew