Old 02-14-2009, 01:59 PM
Ultimate Warrior

The "on car" method is by far the best way to balance an 8 lug.

Old 02-24-2010, 09:23 PM
Senior Chief

Well it didn't happen last year, with my wife ill with cancer and the tri-state tollway a mess with all the construction. Do you think maybe we can make it happen this year?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Engine-Ear View Post
joeg & the group: Maybe later this year (May, June) we can have a "B or B" (Balanced or Bent?) cookout at my place. Get your 8-lugs balanced and make a donation to a coffee can to cover the cost of wheel weights and/or bratwurst.

I'll do my best to resurrect this idea (or joeg, remind me) in a few months when I get time.

C5 Corvette Roadster
Old 02-25-2010, 10:09 PM
Ultimate Warrior

joeg & the group: please see my thread called "Got Eights?"

Old 03-01-2010, 10:48 PM
Senior Chief

tazimmy@aol.com Todd Zimmerman, Greenbush, WI.,aka.TAZ Parts, makes and sells an 8 lug balancing plate for $65.00. Phone # is 1-920-526-3454.

Old 03-02-2010, 01:55 PM

I stumbled across a balancing plate at chief8lug.com this morning. Looks like the gold one pictured earlier. $159.

Old 11-12-2022, 06:05 PM

What happened to Arrowhead...was there repops any good?

1967 Executive Wagon (Plum Mist), Org. paint, Org 35K miles
1981 Bonneville Brougham Coupe (Black) Moonroof, Org. 11K miles
Old 11-13-2022, 09:02 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by compsur View Post
What happened to Arrowhead...was there repops any good?
He closed up a few years ago

Old 11-13-2022, 10:38 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I have the Roger Reihl 4 lug heavy balancing plate and a computer balancer. While I agree using the old SW/Alimite or the Hunter Mexican Hat on the car balancers are still the very best way to balance 8-lug wheels. They balance the entire wheel, drum assembly at actual road speed. Nothing could be better. But very few of those balancers survive. The off the car method with the plate and computer balancer is the second best choice. I can also balance the rear drums separately on my computer balancer. The front drums are the only component I can't balance because the wheel bearing hole is too small for my balancer shaft to pass through. If the car still has the shakes after the 4 wheels and tires are balanced and the rear drums, then the front drums will need a balance. Possibly a Harley dealer or other motorcycle shop with a small shaft computer balancer could balance those 8-lug front drums off the car. I have been loaning my balance plate out for postage cost + $10.00 if someone needs it. They cost $100-125 when you can find one for sale. PM me if you need it.

Old 01-21-2023, 02:17 PM

Hey, I just joined. I recently bought a 1962 Pontiac Grand Prix. It’s straight not a lot of rust except trunk which I just ordered a 3 piece pan. It has a 455 YW code and turbo 400, haven’t looked more for year. The guy I bought it from out front disc brakes on it with new booster. It came with 8 lug wheels but fronts are missing. I’m debating on going back to 8 lug set up. The 60-62s are different and since I’ve got the rears I would have to find matched fronts. What kind of problems am I asking for?

Old 01-22-2023, 10:41 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustaholic View Post
Hey, I just joined. I recently bought a 1962 Pontiac Grand Prix. It’s straight not a lot of rust except trunk which I just ordered a 3 piece pan. It has a 455 YW code and turbo 400, haven’t looked more for year. The guy I bought it from out front disc brakes on it with new booster. It came with 8 lug wheels but fronts are missing. I’m debating on going back to 8 lug set up. The 60-62s are different and since I’ve got the rears I would have to find matched fronts. What kind of problems am I asking for?
You will find a number of threads concerning the trials and tribulations of 8-lug wheels. They have lots and lots of issues compared to using regular iron drums and in your case front disc brakes. IMO, you would be best served keeping the disc brakes and running them with aftermarket wheels and changing the rear to iron drums at least for now. Finding a good set of 4 8-lug wheels, drums, trim rings, caps and lug nuts is a needle in a haystack deal now days, IMO. Lots of pieces to have issues and 14" tall tires are hard to get and expensive. Everything about the 8-lug experience is big $$$. All that said, if you really want to run them, because you want "that look", plan on spending several thousand dollars on all the needed parts to get a good, complete set on the car. Good luck with your car.