67-69 Firebird TECH Includes 69 TA.

Old 05-22-2011, 09:54 PM
Senior Chief

Default Check this firebird out.. Ram air IV

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1969-...f762c6d8#v4-38

Old 05-22-2011, 10:35 PM
Ultimate Warrior

nicely optioned ra4. i wander what reserve is on it?

Old 05-22-2011, 11:10 PM
Ultimate Warrior

if I see another air cleaner decal Im gonna ......
nice car,too bad its now at the point of no return.

Old 05-22-2011, 11:16 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default raiv bird

I think this was in Hemmings recently,,, cool car

Old 05-23-2011, 07:07 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cammer-6 View Post
Good thing you weren't at the Mecum Indy auction.

Old 05-24-2011, 04:05 AM

I looked at this RAIV Firebird yesterday, it belongs to a friend locally, as it sits its a nice running driver car but does need a restoration if a buyer wants to bring it back to RAIV status. It has had quarter panels put on it. The owner was contacted by someone who know a possible race history on it. Owner was asked to check for yellow paint under the black and also for 2 holes on firewall that previously had an ingnition box on it, both the yellow paint and the 2 holes are there plus the obvious frame connectors. Owner was told car had some rear wheelwell flares on it when raced and was painted red & yellow, probably explains why the quarters were replaced. The owner is still investigated this possible race history.

Old 05-24-2011, 09:09 AM
Ultimate Warrior

how much is he wanting to get out of it?

Old 05-24-2011, 11:44 AM
Senior Chief

Default Some items are different than usual

In the engine picture, the battery and windshield washer bottle is reversed. The bracket holding the fan shroud is different with the fan shroud looking different too.

I wished that my car looked that good - inside and out.

Old 05-24-2011, 12:58 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I don't think that's a washer bottle, that's an overflow tank for the radiator. I bet someone moved the battery to the drivers side so they could mount an overflow bottle next to the radiator filler neck. 1969 Birds didn't have overflow bottles originally, but you have to have one to pass tech at the dragstrip.

Also note the strange alternator and p/s belt setup. Is that from a later car?

My Bio: I am currently writing articles for POCI's Smoke Signals magazine and enjoy promoting and discussing the history of the Pontiac Motor Division.
Old 05-24-2011, 02:05 PM
Senior Chief

After reading your post, I opened up the link again and took a longer look at the bottle; it doesn't look like what I thought it was.

You're right about the alternator and power steering pump running off of the same belt.

The power steering pump reservoir looks like the one on my engine though. I orderd a power steering pump w/reservoir off of Amazon last week and they sent me one with a reservoir that did not look the same as the one I was replacing or what was shown in their pictures. It had the round filler neck so I used my reservoir.

I'm not an expert about what parts are missing and are not original. That car looks way better than mine and I would be happy to own it.

Old 05-25-2011, 07:53 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I spoke with the seller yesterday. This is the car that was in Hemmings recently. I get the feeling that he wants something in the low to mid 40's for the car. Nicely optioned car but putting together a correct drivetrain will be pricey.

Old 05-25-2011, 10:54 PM
Ultimate Warrior

The parts for these cars are avalaible and with so few around to choose from theres no reason this car wouldnt be worth bringing back even with an SR block not a restamp like the rest of the faking Liars ( Yes mark I am talking to you) out there. LOL

At least if its A SR you know it was a legit RAIV block to start with and you know the seller is straight up no guessing games.

Sub frame connectors are no big deal to remove, 1/4 panels replaced with NOS and a really good body man solves that issue too.

Wonder if it has the original 3.90 rear still?

Really nice piece, If I wanted a another rare car I couldnt use for Anything, Id be all over this, but Rare stuff just doesn't appeal to me as much anymore.

It does remind me of the Towne Pontiac RAIV race car though.

It will be interesting to see what it brings, Especially with all the overseas money being worth so much. This car marketed properly, could bring well into 6 figures as she sits.

selling turbos and turbo related parts since 2005!
Old 05-25-2011, 10:56 PM
Ultimate Warrior

74sd didnt you have a WH on hand? That would make this a nice peice as well.

If I were you Id be all over this car with owning that drivetrain its a NO BRAINER!

Old 05-25-2011, 11:13 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cammer-6 View Post
A quote like this is what keeps pontiac values DOWN. you wont hear a yenko guy say stuff like this in the forums. No, they pump eachother up not tear eachother down.

Why would this car now be at the point of no return??

Thats rediculous.

I have seen yenko cars that were tubbed, rollcaged with 12 pt cages, aluminum floors, Glass noses, not an original nut or bolt on the car come back and bring rediculous money on the auction block. Every bit of carnage was documented for the new buyer to see how far gone the car was to start with but it brought killer money.

Same with Hemi cars.

Pontiac guys are thier own worst enemy sometimes.

I am not just saying its cammer alone either its the whole Pontiac Hobby mindset.

The chevy ford and Mopar guys sit around and laugh about it.

Old 05-26-2011, 07:34 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Just my opinion, but I would agree that there seems to be a lot more purists among the Pontiac crowd than I've met elsewhere.

Old 05-26-2011, 07:39 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 74SDformula View Post
I spoke with the seller yesterday. This is the car that was in Hemmings recently. I get the feeling that he wants something in the low to mid 40's for the car. Nicely optioned car but putting together a correct drivetrain will be pricey.
Unless you have it already and bought it cheaply.

And go racin' in the street.

Bruce Springsteen - Racing In The Street - 1978
Old 05-26-2011, 09:40 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Boss View Post
Unless you have it already and bought it cheaply.
well said! LOL

Old 05-26-2011, 09:54 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by wovenweb View Post
Just my opinion, but I would agree that there seems to be a lot more purists among the Pontiac crowd than I've met elsewhere.
Its nice to see totally pure cars out there, but it hurts the hobby/ business when anything but is crucified. It doesnt help the value of low mile original survivors like many think either because there needs to be more people and new blood in or the market gets stagnant much as our pontiac market has gotten.

Besides half the Totally pure cars I know of out there have been rebodied restampted Bullshi t to start with. I have seen hundereds of rebodies and restamps being called the real thing.

Why because they know if they told the truth they would be crucified. People are still doing it they are just lying about it.

If these cars were accepted for what they realy are and there was a market for them as such, then there would be less reason for guys to lie and everyone would know what they were truely getting. this would bring more people into the hobby/ business and that would increase prices across the board.

Vette/ chevy guys restamp like its going out of style, but they admit it so openly that its no big deal and the cars still bring the same money.
Lets face it most uber performance cars had the drivetrains beat out of them early on. so theres nothing wrong with an SR block of the same caliber as long as its put back toegther properly and sold as what it truely is not covered up.

thats my take on cars, I really dont see the difference.

Just look at the Hemi recreations bringing HUGE money with no original pedegree, That helped bring the value of real Hemis higher.
Half the time its guys who own these recreations stepping up to buy the real deal for big money later.

Old 05-26-2011, 11:26 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbo69bird View Post
It will be interesting to see what it brings, Especially with all the overseas money being worth so much. This car marketed properly, could bring well into 6 figures as she sits.
I don't think there's even a remote chance of a 6 figure price. I'd be really surprised if bidding went north of the low 40s, even.

We'll see.

70 Formula RA III / M21 / Lucerne Blue / Bright Blue
Old 05-26-2011, 12:43 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I guess one could say that without much of the original driveline you are really buying just a VIN and Firewall tag? Perhaps too harshly worded...