Old 09-02-2012, 03:45 PM
Senior Chief

Question Please help ID what these items are

There is a harness and vacuum line that come through the firewall near where the voltage regulator and carb linkage mount to the firewall. (You can see the harness coming through the firewall in the first pic). All the pics were taken with a phone, so I apologize in advance for the quality. I have no idea what any wires from this harness go to....

1) You can see the vacuum line is cut. Where does the vacuum line go?
2) Where does the connector go?

3) This is a single orange wire, with one connector.

4) Looks like a couple of relays? I just need to know where these mount.

5) I am thinking this may mount into the A/C?

Here is the other side of the above connector.

6) Lastly, this is in the engine harness. One of these wires goes between the alternator and the voltage regulator (the Field, I think). Where does the other connector go? I was thinking it would also go to the VR, but the VR only has 3 pins, and I think I already have the remaining 2 pins accounted for...

Thanks in advance!!!

Old 09-02-2012, 04:20 PM
Ultimate Warrior

You may want to mention the make, year and model of car you're talking about to get more responses...

The thing with the three coiled wires appears to be the resistor block for your heater fan. It typically mounts in the heater housing downstream of the blower fan so it's kept cool by the air blowing over it.

Old 09-02-2012, 05:17 PM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuart View Post
You may want to mention the make, year and model of car you're talking about to get more responses...
Sorry about that... It's a 67 GP, came with a 400 and a T-400

Old 09-02-2012, 10:34 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Send a message via ICQ to David Brown

I am guessing the car has A/C? The vacuum line probably connects to the intake for vacuum to the A/C controller. There is also one that goes to the heater control valve.

Old 09-02-2012, 10:56 PM
Ultimate Warrior

The 2 prong plug is for your AC harness. The vacuum line will either be the vacuum source for the AC controls or the heater shut off valve control line. The voltage regulator plug has 2 wires only.

Old 09-03-2012, 12:36 AM
Senior Chief

OK. The AC is out of the car right now. I am guessing that it will be pretty obvious where the AC harness/connector plugs in.

Should there be two vacuum lines coming through the firewall? I was able to find the hide away headlight vacuum lines (come through the fire wall in the general area where the engine and headlight harnesses connect to the firewall) . There was another vacuum line that had a "T" on the end. I am assuming that one end of that "T" attaches to the vacuum reservoir. Any idea what the other side of the "T" attaches to?

Like I said about the VR, I have found the "F" wire (from the Alt to the VR). It is one of the two connectors in the very last pic in the OP. I just cant figure out what the other connector goes to.

Im pretty sure the other pins on the VR connect to this harness (connect to VR pin 3, and grounds VR pin 4):

Old 09-03-2012, 11:13 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by scld1354 View Post
Im pretty sure the other pins on the VR connect to this harness (connect to VR pin 3, and grounds VR pin 4):
Nope. That's your AC compressor connection. One wire engages the clutch, the other is grounded to the compressor itself. See:

You need a wiring diagram. The harness is extremely simple. I detailed what my '67 harness had here based on colors.

Old 09-03-2012, 11:32 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Send a message via ICQ to David Brown

There should be 2 vacuum lines coming from the dash. One get vacuum to open and close the vent doors. The other connects to the heater valve, which it opens when you turn on the heater. Vacuum for the reservoir comes directly from the manifold.

Old 09-03-2012, 09:43 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

scld1354, these should help you with the headlight vacuum line routing and the A/C relay bracket. Blue striped hose off the 2nd "T" over by the fender goes to the reservoir. Pair of hoses coming through the firewall from the headlight switch mates up with the pair that goes out to the headlight actuator.

Alan
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2009-05 WiringShots01.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	78.0 KB
ID:	296488   Click image for larger version

Name:	2009-05 67GP_Ref24.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	66.3 KB
ID:	296489   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010148.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	63.6 KB
ID:	296490  

Old 09-04-2012, 01:47 AM
Senior Chief

perryka, those pics helped out very much (especially with the vacuum hose routing).

And Ben m., thanks for that. So the 2 wires on the engine harness do go to the VR. I guess ill solder up a wire to ground VR pin 4 to one of the mounting screws

Old 09-04-2012, 08:28 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by scld1354 View Post
So the 2 wires on the engine harness do go to the VR. I guess ill solder up a wire to ground VR pin 4 to one of the mounting screws
You're over thinking this entire matter. The factory didn't use a ground on those pins, why would you need to? The case itself is grounded to the firewall, just the 2 wires going to the plug.

Old 10-01-2012, 06:23 PM
Senior Chief

One more question... The "+" battery cable has a smaller wire (10 or 12 ga maybe?) with a ring terminal crimped on the end. What does that hook up to?

Old 10-01-2012, 08:01 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Horn relay: up underneath the core support by the radiator (driver's side).

Old 10-28-2012, 01:10 PM
Senior Chief

Just a couple more....

I included a pic of the wire attached to the "+" battery lug. It doesn't go to the horn relay. It's long enough to get to the wiper motor area (from the battery).

Next, this is in the headlight wiring, right by the battery.

Thanks again for all your help!!! Were getting a little bit closer each week to getting this car back on the road.

Old 10-28-2012, 06:35 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

scld1354, the long lead goes to a junction block on the firewall that mounts right under the hood hinge. The other lead from that block goes inside the car to provide power for the accessories. You must have some optional power accessories on your car. Attached is a pic of the block, and another showing where it mounts on the firewall. The short lead from the positive battery cable goes to the horn relay.

Alan
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2009-05 67GP_Ref32.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	61.4 KB
ID:	301708   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1000701.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	38.5 KB
ID:	301709  

Old 10-28-2012, 08:53 PM
Senior Chief

That's what it is. I saw that junction block mounted on the firewall and wondered what it is for. Thanks for all the help. This car was partially disassembled (by my dad about 15 years ago) by the time we had it moved up from my grandparents house. It has been a headache to figure out where these wires are supposed to go. Thanks again to everyone that has replied.

There is still the red wire in the second pic... Any ideas?

Old 10-29-2012, 10:39 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

The red wire is power to the horn relay. It plugs into the harness at the small connector there in the pic, and then the 3-wire connector coming out of the harness about 12" further down (towards the radiator) plugs into the horn relay.

Alan

Old 07-10-2022, 07:34 PM
Senior Chief

Resurrecting a 10 year old thread because there's always one more question... Car is a 67 Grand Prix, 400/400 A/C car. I have taken the interior down to the bare floors and am in the process of putting the dash back in. I think I have all the wiring and vacuum connections made EXCEPT a 6-way connector for the A/C system (highlighted in the diagram below). Can anyone tell me where in the car this connection is made? Does this harness feed through the 5-hole grommet in the firewall that the A/C vacuum lines feed through?

Thanks in advance!!!

Sent from my SM-A505U using Tapatalk