Old 01-17-2016, 04:41 AM
Senior Chief

Pleased to see things going right for you and hope to see you at the Pontiac nats when its on in qld in 2017. Love the look of your car apart from the fact all your work and energy makes me feel guilty.I wonder marv if would be so kind as to put up some pics of the stater that was on your engine when you got it and is it the same as the one that came on your 62. The reason Im asking is their is two types of stater in the years 61-65 and I want to see which models will bolt onto my adapter plates.Thanks Gavin.

Old 04-17-2016, 08:07 PM
Senior Chief

Bits of this are still going together. I've been neck-deep in several of the jobs I have currently.

Had a stuff up with incorrect pullies, some timing gear wiggins etc and then the boys putting it together had a calamity with a race car.

The guys doing the work, Dan and Phil, needed spacers for the water pump divider plate as i changed from an 8 bolt to an 11 bolt pump, but i also needed a PCV grommet, universal alternator mount and timing case bolt sleeves so ordered it all from Wade at BOP Engineering.

The Peninsula boys are now setting up the 1.65 ratio rockers but are having issues with pushrod length and getting them seated properly on the roller tip. Also the end all had to be milled to fit, because quality aftermarket parts.

They got a stock rocker and checked it on my motor and it had same issues they're having now where the pushrod is binding due to being too short. Looks like I need to go longer than stock in the pushrods... for... reasons.

Should be running in a month or so though.

Last edited by Marv; 04-17-2016 at 08:15 PM.
Old 04-17-2016, 08:17 PM
Senior Chief

Oh yeah. In February I bought a 1968 Roadrunner. 440/4speed, original Hemi Orange (had a repaint). Bit of a laugh.

Old 04-17-2016, 10:04 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Engine looks good, and I like the Roadrunner.

Old 06-03-2016, 11:09 PM
Senior Chief

So the saga of my engine build rolls on!

The boys putting the engine together struck a problem with the Comp Cams rockers I bought. I got the 1.65 ratio stamped steel rockers to go with my Comp Cams cam and lifter pack. These are the rockers I bought http://butlerperformance.com/i-24452...tegory:1234784

Unfortunately, they just did not work in my engine and were causing all manner of binding issues with various pushrods the boys tried - long and short, of varied specs. Another issue was deflection off the roller tip.

The boys tried stock pushrods with my rockers. No bueno.
They tried my rockers on a stock Pontiac 400. No bueno.
They tried stock rockers with my pushrods. No problems.

Dan and Phil have built several hundred race and street motors over the years and they reckon I've been sent the wrong rockers in the correct box. There's not much point going back to Butler at this point so i'll chuck them under the bench to be used as wheel chocks.

I've now bought these rockers from a legendary Aussie speed company called Yella Terra. I didn't want to wait for parts to come from America and, if I'm honest, I'd rather spend my money with an Australian company where possible http://store.yellaterra.com.au/holde...o-1-65-yt5010/

Motor should be done fairly soon hopefully!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gavin View Post
Pleased to see things going right for you and hope to see you at the Pontiac nats when its on in qld in 2017. Love the look of your car apart from the fact all your work and energy makes me feel guilty.I wonder marv if would be so kind as to put up some pics of the stater that was on your engine when you got it and is it the same as the one that came on your 62. The reason Im asking is their is two types of stater in the years 61-65 and I want to see which models will bolt onto my adapter plates.Thanks Gavin.
Hi Gavin,

I'm really sorry not to reply to your post sooner! I'll have to dig my starter motor out but I've got it somewhere in the shed. I'll be throwing the old Super Hydro, 1964 heads/intake, starter, etc up on eBay soon.

Old 06-10-2016, 08:17 AM
Senior Chief

So... um... I stripped this, have a grinder out and the welder primed. So much for buying "a driver" that "I'll just do the motor/box in"...

Old 06-10-2016, 05:36 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marv View Post
So... um... I stripped this, have a grinder out and the welder primed. So much for buying "a driver" that "I'll just do the motor/box in"...
Yep...Every restoration begins with an oil change...

Old 06-10-2016, 05:47 PM
Senior Chief

Yeah. It got to that "do it once, do it right" stage.

All rust will get chopped out plus im going to do some custom touches. If any Aussies with '64s need spare parts let me know as illhave a lot of trim and engine/trans stuff for sale. Similarly if anyone has any '63 guards and a '64 GP grille id love to buy them!

Old 06-10-2016, 08:52 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Yeah. It got to that "do it once, do it right" stage.

All rust will get chopped out plus im going to do some custom touches. If any Aussies with '64s need spare parts let me know as illhave a lot of trim and engine/trans stuff for sale. Similarly if anyone has any '63 guards and a '64 GP grille id love to buy them!
Marv, Just be careful that if you find some '63 guards out here (fenders to our Yank mates!!), they will most probably be off a Canadian car and may not fit without some heavy surgery.

Good luck, Ian

Old 06-10-2016, 08:53 PM
Senior Chief

Ill actually just be using the headlight buckets

Old 06-12-2016, 02:51 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Lightbulb translated!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heybuck View Post
... guards out here (fenders to our Yank mates!!).
Thanks - I wondered what that meant!

Sometimes it's interesting how Australia and United States are two nations - separated by a common language.

Old 06-13-2016, 06:09 PM
Senior Chief

Strewth cobba, wouldn't want to take the piss or I'd look like a flamin' drongo! :P

I bought a new wiring loom for this yesterday, too. I figured I am going to do a bit of preventative maintenance and (as electrical systems are so often overlooked or just patched up to fix sporadic problems) I'd redo the engine, air suspension and body looms from scratch. New joins, new terminals and new fuse box should mean it all works far better than before. I'll also be chucking a new, deep-cycle battery in too.

Old 06-16-2016, 09:26 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Talking as the head spins...

Quote:
Strewth cobba, wouldn't want to take the piss or I'd look like a flamin' drongo! :P
Ooof, man, I recognize words there but I need a translator manual.

Old 06-17-2016, 10:32 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Engine-Ear View Post
Matt... I think it's from Clockwork Orange. lol.

Nice work Marv. Looking forward to each and every post!!

Old 06-17-2016, 09:31 PM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by Engine-Ear View Post
Translated; "My compatriot, I dare not make jest of our linguistic differences should I present myself as an oafish and lowly simpleton"

Old 06-30-2016, 11:41 PM
Senior Chief

I had a 63 GP in new zealand that had frontal damage and had a complete aussie/Canadian front clip put on it.The guards/fenders fit fine but the front panel mounting holes did not come close to the pontiac chassis holes.It would not have been hard to build new mounts off the chassis but they had not put the inner fenders in as they would not fit the wider pontiac chassis rails.So guards/fenders fit and bonnet fits but not much else.

Old 07-02-2016, 07:58 PM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by gavin View Post
I had a 63 GP in new zealand that had frontal damage and had a complete aussie/Canadian front clip put on it.The guards/fenders fit fine but the front panel mounting holes did not come close to the pontiac chassis holes.It would not have been hard to build new mounts off the chassis but they had not put the inner fenders in as they would not fit the wider pontiac chassis rails.So guards/fenders fit and bonnet fits but not much else.
yeah I'm aware of the difference in the CKD and "proper" Pontiac assembly. I'm just wanting to use sections to create a '60s style mild custom

Old 07-15-2016, 07:26 AM
Senior Chief

My engine builder sent me these pics with "come get it". Ŭeeeeeeewwwwwww!!!!!

Old 07-15-2016, 11:04 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Get back to PF!

Old 07-16-2016, 02:06 AM
Senior Chief

Nah not bothering with build threads over there man. Bandwagoners wrecked the joint