The Body Shop TECH General questions that don't fit in any other forum

Old 09-09-2023, 04:14 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Fuel Tank

Going to be removing the fuel tank to change out the sending unit. mine as in the picture is same as 71-73 firebirds. has 2 tubes that I currently have plugged off because I removed the eec system. and the one vent tube on the opposite side.

thinking about using a 1970 fuel tank just to not have to plug the 2 tubes on one side but i don't think the 1970 tank has a vent tube. want to keep just the vent tube. is there a 70-73 tank that has just the vent tube?

(I will not be going electric pump or in the tank electric. I prefer the simplicity of the easy to change mechanical pump for the way I intend to drive the car)

Last edited by JUDGE3; 12-20-2023 at 10:52 AM.
Old 09-10-2023, 07:08 PM
Ultimate Warrior

70 calif car, ( built at either plant)with EEC has 3 tubes on front of tank IIRC. It does have a charcoal canister that one went to ( a " vent) if you will.
The 72 has the pressure expansion tank behind the rear seat.

Old 09-11-2023, 09:34 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by JUDGE3 View Post
Going to be removing the fuel tank to change out the sending unit. mine as in the picture is same as 71-73 firebirds. has 2 tubes that I currently have plugged off because I removed the eec system. and the one vent tube on the opposite side.

thinking about using a 1970 fuel tank just to not have to plug the 2 tubes on one side but i don't think the 1970 tank has a vent tube. want to keep just the vent tube. is there a 70-73 tank that has just the vent tube?

(I will not be going electric pump or in the tank electric. I prefer the simplicity of the easy to change mechanical pump for the way I intend to drive the car)

I did the same thing on my 72 firebird, I removed the EEC stuff since i live in a state with no emissions regulations and dont really notice any fuel odors when parked in the garage.

I bought a 1970 spectra tank that has no extra vent tubes, just the inlet & outlet of the pickup, i did use a robbmc 1/2" pickup & pump to feed the 500+hp 467. Just be sure to use a vented gas cap, stock repros are cheap priced.

At first I just left the pickups return line open but when the tank was full there would be slight wetness around the opening, not full on leaking though, so for safety sake i used tanks inc rollover vent that is open to atmosphere with a screen to stop debris but when sideways or upside down a check ball stops flow, was cheap priced & easy to mount with a short piece of rubber hose.

Heres a link to a ventless 70 tank, can probably find them a little cheaper other places online.

https://www.jegs.com/i/JEGS/555/78070/10002/-1