THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Old 09-08-2022, 11:53 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Any Deer Hunters here?

I thought you might like to see a few deer from the National Forrest in North Georgia. My son sent these to me. One of them even came down off the bank and started toward his vehicle but my son's dog barked and the deer just turned and went into the woods. No hunting allowed!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Deer 1.jpg
Views:	252
Size:	156.2 KB
ID:	598137   Click image for larger version

Name:	deer 2.jpg
Views:	247
Size:	105.7 KB
ID:	598138  

Old 09-09-2022, 06:20 AM

We have been starting deer management here at our property in PA and are starting to see much larger racks around here also. Those are MUCH nicer than ours though.
Thanks for the pics, archery starts up here pretty soon! Can't wait.

Old 09-09-2022, 08:05 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Nice bachelor group there! Archery season has started in Md & De here on the shore.

Old 09-09-2022, 09:46 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Although I've retired from the annual deer hunt, I have many fond memories of November's past....

My best memories are from deer hunt's on my brother's wife's uncle's farm in Buffalo County in Wisconsin - home to many trophy bucks. The year I got my 13 pointer with triple brow tines and an 18.5" spread, another member of our party got a massive atypical 12 pointer with huge drop tines and a 21" spread.

Good times!

Old 09-09-2022, 09:49 AM

Nice looking group of deer. Our deer season opened August 15 , we can use any weapon we want.

Old 09-09-2022, 09:50 AM

Definatly different rack structure compared to central Minnesota.
We tend to manage here also. Although there is not many hunters for the large section we have. So sometimes you dont see much.
I did notice this year we have a good crop of acorns. Last year was so dry there wasnt much and where my stand is at (in the oaks) I only got to watch a few young ones playin around.

The Following User Says Thank You to Pav8427 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-09-2022, 12:11 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Nice bunch.
Could be just pic, but look size of Does here.
Have lot of corn fields and mast trees though.

http://s207.photobucket.com/albums/b...hop/?start=100
The Following User Says Thank You to Region Warrior For This Useful Post:
Old 09-09-2022, 02:03 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I used to love to deer hunt....especially with a bow. Somehow over the last 15 years I've lost the desire to kill them (except when they destroy the garden).

Old 09-09-2022, 02:11 PM

Nice whitetails! When it comes to deer I have filled the freezer with whitetail, mule deer, blacktail and elk. One of my dream hunts will be for sitka blacktail but for now have to be satisfied with another season in Montana 🙂

Old 09-09-2022, 06:50 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by fyrffytr1 View Post
I thought you might like to see a few deer from the National Forrest in North Georgia. My son sent these to me. One of them even came down off the bank and started toward his vehicle but my son's dog barked and the deer just turned and went into the woods. No hunting allowed!
Nice. I won’t be hunting this year due to knee replacement surgery, but this gives me inspiration for next year. We own property in SE KY with an over abundance of deer; my childhood best friend owns his paternal grandparent’s farm in Switzerland Co., IN. His son took a mature 12 point off the farm last year. I’ve been watching several large bucks on our property in SE KY. First thing next spring, at least two feed plots are going to be planted. I want healthy deer that are getting good nutrition.

Dr. Thomas Sowell
Old 09-09-2022, 07:32 PM
Boost Engineer

I have several friends who hunt each year in Northern Michigan.
They hunt to provide venison for the freezers and meat in the winter/spring time.

As long as they hunt safely more power to them.

Tom V.

Despite small distractions, there are those who will go Forward, Learning, Sharing Knowledge, Doing what they can to help others move forward.
The Following User Says Thank You to Tom Vaught For This Useful Post:
Old 09-09-2022, 10:26 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by carcrazy View Post
I used to love to deer hunt....especially with a bow. Somehow over the last 15 years I've lost the desire to kill them (except when they destroy the garden).
Same here. Now, it is not deer hunting but deer "waiting". You are allowed to put out feed to attract them in Georgia. I lost the desire to hunt when I was injured in a car accident and had neck surgery about 6 years ago.

Old 09-10-2022, 08:55 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I still hunt, but leave the big bucks alone and actually offer them sanctuary here on my property.

I take one or two does for the freezer and that's about it these days. Here is a dandy buck we had in here couple of years ago. I can throw a rock from my shop to that feeder. The date on the trail camera is inaccurate, haven't been able to update it in years.....

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	109.jpg
Views:	396
Size:	116.0 KB
ID:	598208   Click image for larger version

Name:	352.jpg
Views:	372
Size:	116.0 KB
ID:	598209  

73 Ventura, SOLD 455, 3740lbs, 11.30's at 120mph, 1977 Pontiac Q-jet, HO intake, HEI, 10" converter, 3.42 gears, DOT's, 7.20's at 96mph and still WAY under the roll bar rule. Best ET to date 7.18 at 97MPH (1/8th mile),
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Cliff R For This Useful Post:
Old 09-10-2022, 09:25 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I used to hunt up in Northern New York. Only got one out of all the times I spent in the woods up there. Bagged a 7 point buck that came across the border from Canada. Shot him in the neck twice while he was on the run. I thought I had missed with the first shot. Every time his front hooves hit the ground I pulled the trigger. That 92 Winchester 30-30 did the trick.

I miss that rifle as the serial number was in the low 900,000s. Made somewhere around 1935 or 36. It was in exceptionally great shape... inside and out.

BTW. Watch the Sportsman channel, Outdoor channel too, and see some great hunting. Rifle, air gun, bow, and crossbow. The rack on some of these deer are awesome. And there's plenty of reruns to see them.

Gary
Get in, ShuT Up, Hang On!
Member of the Baltimore Built Brotherhood
MY GTO built 4th Week of March 1966
"Crusin' Is Not A Crime"
Keep yer stick on the ice.
Old 09-10-2022, 01:29 PM
Ultimate Warrior

This guy was in my yard last fall. We have some pretty big deer here in MN.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image000000.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	90.6 KB
ID:	598226  

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to hobbygto65 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-10-2022, 01:53 PM
Boost Engineer

Neighbor said we had 26 deer around his pond a week or so ago.
Animals really like the area. Plenty of cover. Plenty of shelter.
Plenty of sunshine on average and yet cool at nighttime.

Tom V.

Despite small distractions, there are those who will go Forward, Learning, Sharing Knowledge, Doing what they can to help others move forward.
Old 09-10-2022, 11:56 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Location: 31May2013 Temporary home to the world's widest (that we know of) tornado. Lord, NO more Please...

I've never been a hunter, but would enjoy a tag along.

Reminds me of the Good old days, when Curt Gowdy hosted. American Sportsman, THAT was a GREAT show!!!

Shut it off
Shut it off
Buddy, I just shut your Prius down...
The Following User Says Thank You to 77 TRASHCAN For This Useful Post:
Old 09-11-2022, 11:02 AM

Any good racks for us in SW MS is very rare now. About 30 years ago, we went from planting crops to planting Pine trees, so there is no good forage for the deer, especially since a lot of the hardwoods was logged.
Then we have the yearly migration of south LA hunters that kill everything that moves, so our deer are given time to grow any size either.

Old 09-11-2022, 12:50 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by vr1967 View Post
Any good racks for us in SW MS is very rare now. About 30 years ago, we went from planting crops to planting Pine trees, so there is no good forage for the deer, especially since a lot of the hardwoods was logged.
Then we have the yearly migration of south LA hunters that kill everything that moves, so our deer are given time to grow any size either.
VR, I'm surprised to hear you say that. I know people in NW Ms in the delta that are killing big bucks in Tallahatchie and Sunflower Counties(very rural and tons of agriculture). I've also seen statistics on harvested buck age class and Ms is one of the top states for killing 3.5yr+. Obviously different for your area but interesting. LOTS of big deer killed here on the shore in Md and De every year but it is easier said than done. Here's a few that got a ride on my truck.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20181110_103500.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	86.0 KB
ID:	598321   Click image for larger version

Name:	20201113_110406.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	98.8 KB
ID:	598322   Click image for larger version

Name:	KIMG0469.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	90.4 KB
ID:	598323   Click image for larger version

Name:	KIMG0370.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	54.9 KB
ID:	598327  

Old 09-11-2022, 07:15 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliff R View Post
I still hunt, but leave the big bucks alone and actually offer them sanctuary here on my property.

I take one or two does for the freezer and that's about it these days. Here is a dandy buck we had in here couple of years ago. I can throw a rock from my shop to that feeder. The date on the trail camera is inaccurate, haven't been able to update it in years.....

Cliff, I generally do not shoot bucks, unless there is an abundance of young bucks. I leave the older dominate bucks alone. Their DNA is crucial to have a thriving herd. The one my best friend’s son took was at least ten years old. He was totally white from his muzzle to half way up his head. He had done his job. In nearly all cases I will take an older doe. The quality of their meat is better.

Dr. Thomas Sowell
The Following User Says Thank You to hurryinhoosier62 For This Useful Post: