Old 10-07-2022, 04:33 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Been following BaT on 0L107107?

Curious if you guys have been following this Trans Am on Bring-a-Trailer. and what you think of the final result.

Old 10-07-2022, 05:17 PM

Yeah I followed that one. It went quite a bit higher than I expected, but like they say, two guys in an auction is all it takes. Everyone seemed to really like the RA-IV added parts. The car had some issues; that glossy dash sheet metal really jumped out at me. I wondered about the block and trans stampings. I don't know enough Van Nuys stampings to judge those.

John

Old 10-07-2022, 05:57 PM
Ultimate Warrior

here is the link to it's completed auction:

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/19...d-trans-am-17/

Old 10-07-2022, 06:03 PM
Ultimate Warrior

wow - I did not expect it to go that high!!

Quite likely one of few '70 Muncie three speed Formula 400's left.

1991 Grand Am: 14.4 @ 93.7mph (DA corrected) (retired DD, stock appearing)
2009 Cobalt SS: 13.9 @ 103mph (current DD; makes something north of 300hp & 350ft/lbs)
Old 10-07-2022, 09:19 PM
Ultimate Warrior

The seller's driving video for that car probably added $15K all by itself. It is definitely a nice sounding and strong running car. The VIN stampings on the block and trans were very odd, though. The price surprised me by maybe $10K.

70 Formula RA III / M21 / Lucerne Blue / Bright Blue
The Following User Says Thank You to keith k For This Useful Post:
Old 10-07-2022, 09:25 PM

That's true! The seller presented the car well and I've enjoyed watching the video a couple of times.

John

Old 10-07-2022, 11:36 PM

I saw the car in person. The paint and body work was stunning. Interior was completely redone to high standard. The thing that most impressed me was that it was so correct. The hood, fenders, doors, hood hinges, inner fender wells and their extensions, core support, headlight doors, dash panel and trim rings for gauges are all the correct 1 year only pieces. I believe the engine to be correct but the anomoly with the block stamp is anyones guess. All in all a high quality resto. One point worth mentioning is the buyer joined BAT in Aug. 2021 and has spent a total of 1.75 million in 13 months.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mlewisariz For This Useful Post:
Old 10-08-2022, 09:41 AM
Ultimate Warrior

That was the best driving video ever! I too was surprised it went that high.

Old 10-08-2022, 09:42 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I’d say well sold

Old 10-08-2022, 02:34 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default 70 TA

Don’t get me started
Cheesy PUI repo interior, Console mount shift boot, wrong alternator, replacement radiator shroud, Camaro brake pedal. Tinfoil GM stickers on door jams,
Bottom of the car looks like he did some four wheeling through a rock quarry. 1971 rear quarter interior trim panels, I don’t know what to say about the Dash Pad but it does look repo and not a 70. Shoulder harnesses dangling, Formula steering wheel is repo or a wrapped shot original, Headliner looks like wrinkled laundry , Engine compartment has a grab bag of hose clamps ,wrong windshield washer cap, Parts place repo RAIV Intake, One of the worst restamped carburetors I’ve seen . Very nice original sheet metal, original drivetrain and JW WHEELS . Yes those stampings look original as I’ve seen many similar Van Nuys built cars

Old 10-08-2022, 03:26 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tellyshavilli View Post
Don’t get me started
Cheesy PUI repo interior, Console mount shift boot, wrong alternator, replacement radiator shroud, Camaro brake pedal. Tinfoil GM stickers on door jams,
Bottom of the car looks like he did some four wheeling through a rock quarry. 1971 rear quarter interior trim panels, I don’t know what to say about the Dash Pad but it does look repo and not a 70. Shoulder harnesses dangling, Formula steering wheel is repo or a wrapped shot original, Headliner looks like wrinkled laundry , Engine compartment has a grab bag of hose clamps ,wrong windshield washer cap, Parts place repo RAIV Intake, One of the worst restamped carburetors I’ve seen . Very nice original sheet metal, original drivetrain and JW WHEELS . Yes those stampings look original as I’ve seen many similar Van Nuys built cars
You saw most everything i saw too. But at least one quarter has been replaced. Notice in one rear wheelwell picture that there aren't any spot welds around the opening lip. Quicky sheetmetal replacement leaves so many other things questionable.
But I'm not buying the partial VIN stamps as factory original. since I live in the northwest, most all the '70-71's I've owned or parted had correctly done numbers. There would have been no reason to change that first character from a '2' to a '0'.
IM(not always so)HO, this TA sold for about $30K more than it should have. but then that's so typical of BaT. Not what it usd to be.

Old 10-08-2022, 04:37 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Transamric View Post
You saw most everything i saw too. But at least one quarter has been replaced. Notice in one rear wheelwell picture that there aren't any spot welds around the opening lip. Quicky sheetmetal replacement leaves so many other things questionable.
But I'm not buying the partial VIN stamps as factory original. since I live in the northwest, most all the '70-71's I've owned or parted had correctly done numbers. There would have been no reason to change that first character from a '2' to a '0'.
IM(not always so)HO, this TA sold for about $30K more than it should have. but then that's so typical of BaT. Not what it usd to be.
Agree on the quarter panel with the missing spot welds as you can see in the door jam it is a 1970 1/4 panel but from there back who knows ,I have to say that I have seen too many factory mistakes especially on Van Nuys built Firebirds to be cincerned with that stamping as being original.

Old 10-08-2022, 05:06 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I agree that, in general, Van Nuys built 'F' cars seemed to have beenmor sloppily assembled. My Blue '70 has it's untouched factory sheetmetal and the panel gaps and alignment is atrocious!
However, after saying that, IIRC, that Red '69 we both so admire seemed pretty good in that regard.

Old 10-08-2022, 08:38 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Transamric View Post
I agree that, in general, Van Nuys built 'F' cars seemed to have beenmor sloppily assembled. My Blue '70 has it's untouched factory sheetmetal and the panel gaps and alignment is atrocious!
However, after saying that, IIRC, that Red '69 we both so admire seemed pretty good in that regard.
Yes , Matador RAIV is on the money

Old 10-08-2022, 09:13 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tellyshavilli View Post
Yes , Matador RAIV is on the money
The line workers must have realized they were building something special.

Old 10-10-2022, 12:07 PM
Ultimate Warrior

When I see 74-78 style 1/4 spoilers on a nice early 2nd gen I wonder “where did the originals go?”

Old 10-10-2022, 02:48 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by giles View Post
When I see 74-78 style 1/4 spoilers on a nice early 2nd gen I wonder “where did the originals go?”
Yep!

Old 10-10-2022, 06:21 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by giles View Post
Or why didn’t they cut them lol

Old 10-10-2022, 10:35 PM

I can’t stand the filled in seam between the quarter panels and tail panel. Tell tail sign the lower rear quarters had work done.

Old 10-10-2022, 11:48 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poncho Dave View Post
I can’t stand the filled in seam between the quarter panels and tail panel. Tell tail sign the lower rear quarters had work done.
This is one of those details that seems all over the place, and yet I don't know that I have ever come across any source saying, or showing what it looked like when these cars were new, or what it should look like.

I would in earnest like to know how the seam should be finished.

Quite likely one of few '70 Muncie three speed Formula 400's left.

1991 Grand Am: 14.4 @ 93.7mph (DA corrected) (retired DD, stock appearing)
2009 Cobalt SS: 13.9 @ 103mph (current DD; makes something north of 300hp & 350ft/lbs)