Old 10-13-2022, 11:25 PM

Default Convertible Top questions

I just got me a 1967 Bonneville Convertible. It’s all original and as such, needs a new top. The car is blue with a white top. I’d like to keep the white. My question is where should I buy the top from? I want a canvas top and I’d like a glass window. Right now, it’s a plastic window that’s zippered in. I’d assume the glass window is smaller than the plastic, but would any of you know how much difference there is?

I’m not looking for the cheapest price, but best quality. I’d like the top to last more than 10 years.

Thanks!

Old 10-14-2022, 10:30 AM

Haartz Corp has the best tops IMHO. I've put on many tops over my 46 years in the business. That being said, they don't make them in white canvas. Only black and the other major colors. You can get a glass window conversion for your car but remember this that you MUST unzip the window and lay it down in the well BEFORE lowering your top. Otherwise, you take the chance in breaking the glass. For that reason, I opted for the black canvas top with a tinted rear plastic window when I put it on my 67 GTO. The wait for them to make the top was quite long since Covid so you have to order early
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5508.JPG
Views:	94
Size:	97.5 KB
ID:	600403   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5506.JPG
Views:	86
Size:	89.8 KB
ID:	600404   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5509.JPG
Views:	98
Size:	86.9 KB
ID:	600405  

Old 10-14-2022, 12:51 PM

Thanks for the quick response, Stich. Where did you buy your top from? Haartz doesn't sell to the public, but I see most online retailers claim to sell their product. I contacted the local upholstery shop, they want a gob of money to install it, and are booked out till February. They mentioned that white isn't available in Canvas, only Vinyl. Too hard to keep the white canvas clean, he said. I do not want vinyl and I'm sure my top is Canvas right now. My brother has a 1967 Camaro with a white Vinyl convertible top, and I'm not a fan of it.

Old 10-14-2022, 05:43 PM

We buy all our tops through Keyston Bros. They are our go-to distributor but don't sell to public. A typical job through the shop would cost around $1300+ for top and window and around $800 - $1000 to install. These are CA. prices. NOT including pads. well, side cables, and any new tacking strips that need to be replaced. (I had to replace nearly all of mine, and that's pretty time consuming). Also, Haartz was so backlogged, that it took around 6 weeks for them to make up my top. As far as your top goes, I think you may have to look closely again at it as I know of no company that makes a white canvas convertible top. Chrysler has a reasonably close vinyl that looks very similar to canvas but that's the only thing I know of.

Old 10-14-2022, 10:08 PM

I think you're right on this. The upholstery shop had some samples to look at. He said the "pinpoint white" would've been the factory material. It is a vinyl and isn't terrible. It's made by HAARTZ, so the quality should be good. My son has a 97 Camaro convertible with a new black Canvas top (stayfast, i believe) and it's nice. The 67's top is so old and dirty, i guess it changes the feel of the material.

They quoted $2700, but that includes all that you mentioned (vinyl and plastic window), plus new seals and the well liner. I've had the shop do work for me before and they're good at what they do. It's the February timeline that gets me. The wife would probably prefer to have it done after christmas anyways, so maybe that's not too bad. I just need to decide if I prefer the color white over a canvas top. I like the originality of the car, so I'll probably go white on it.

Thanks again for your help, Stich.