Old 10-14-2022, 11:31 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default Functional Shaker Thoughts

I have all the parts to restore my functional shaker. The question is should I?

The way I understand it with the factory setup it will open only under WOT. Is that correct?

I'm wondering if that is best or not. Would there be any condition of partial throttle that would benefit from having it open? Right now, I have taken out the linkage from the solenoids to the flap so it's hanging free and opens under vacuum alone.

If I could figure out a way to modify the factory system to get it to open at the same time as the secondaries that seems like it would be better.

https://youtube.com/shorts/gG15nb4FWeo?feature=share
Old 10-15-2022, 12:44 PM

I've driven with mine fully closed and wide open and honestly can't tell a lick of difference in power either way

Pretty cool to watch though

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VwCz3wg81aQ

Old 10-15-2022, 03:29 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 98 SNAKE EATER View Post
I've driven with mine fully closed and wide open and honestly can't tell a lick of difference in power either way

Agree 100% it a neat gimmick for sure.

Old 10-15-2022, 03:44 PM
Ultimate Warrior

/^^^^^^/ I agree.

Old 10-15-2022, 03:46 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

When I first got the car, the carb brackets and switch were missing. The solenoids and the rod connecting them to the flap were in place. That held the flap closed until you opened the secondaries. But, the flap never opened all the way due to the resistance from the solenoids. So it was a semi functional system. Right now, I have the rod from the solenoids to the flap removed so the flap is just hanging loosely. I guess I'm just gonna leave it that way. It opens when it needs to and that's it.

Old 10-15-2022, 03:50 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by 98 SNAKE EATER View Post

Do you know what cam you have in that motor? It doesn't sound like an 068. Sounds good.

Old 10-16-2022, 12:17 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I thought one of the magazines opened the hood scoop for a 73 SD455 TA during a road test and gained close to two tenths ET in the quarter mile.... Maybe I'm remembering wrong. With out a doubt one should go faster with the hood scoop open. If they don't something else is wrong.

Last edited by PAUL K; 10-16-2022 at 12:30 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to PAUL K For This Useful Post:
Old 10-16-2022, 11:18 PM
Ultimate Warrior

even if it's a gimmic, it's cool - I'd have it all in place if I were in your shoes.

Quite likely one of few '70 Muncie three speed Formula 400's left.

1991 Grand Am: 14.4 @ 93.7mph (DA corrected) (retired DD, stock appearing)
2009 Cobalt SS: 13.9 @ 103mph (current DD; makes something north of 300hp & 350ft/lbs)
The Following User Says Thank You to unruhjonny For This Useful Post:
Old 10-17-2022, 12:09 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by unruhjonny View Post
even if it's a gimmic, it's cool - I'd have it all in place if I were in your shoes.
That's about what I thought you'd say.

The Following User Says Thank You to jhein For This Useful Post:
Old 10-17-2022, 12:18 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I have a somewhat functional one on my '74 I just purchased - it is so cool compared to my old '74 that had it blocked off.

Sounds like a mf at WoT too.

My th400 down-shift doesn't seem to be working properly but I still have to work that out.

Old 10-17-2022, 03:30 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Does anyone know how many CFM the 70 single snorkel air cleaner flows? As I said elsewhere, I've been taking it relatively easy on the new drivetrain. But, just before I started having my electrical problems I did open it up through 2nd and 3rd gears (it was awesome, BTW...). That flap opened right up! The point is that if air will flow through the path of least resistance, it wanted to go through the shaker, not the snorkel. That's with my flap just dangling, disconnected from the solenoids.

Old 10-18-2022, 09:52 AM
Ultimate Warrior

IDK what a single snorkel flows but it's not enough. I also know the shaker opening by itself doesn't flow enough for a high horsepower engine. I've driven my 70 a few times after it had been rained on and it had drops of water on top of the shaker. When you'd floor it the scoop door would open and it was fascinating to watch the droplets slide over the scoop and get sucked in the open door.

Old 10-18-2022, 11:50 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAUL K View Post
IDK what a single snorkel flows but it's not enough. I also know the shaker opening by itself doesn't flow enough for a high horsepower engine. I've driven my 70 a few times after it had been rained on and it had drops of water on top of the shaker. When you'd floor it the scoop door would open and it was fascinating to watch the droplets slide over the scoop and get sucked in the open door.
So there's a method to the madness of the old game of flipping the air cleaner upside down? A friend in the 70's told me it added 10HP to his car. LOL

Old 10-18-2022, 12:13 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by necdb3 View Post
So there's a method to the madness of the old game of flipping the air cleaner upside down? A friend in the 70's told me it added 10HP to his car. LOL
Yes definetly. Ten horse seems realistic but it probably sounds like a fifty horsepower gain.

Old 10-18-2022, 07:53 PM
Ultimate Warrior

The biggest benefit of the shaker is that it's pulling in cooler air (that hasn't been heated up by passing through the radiator on its way into the snorkel).

To maximize that benefit, I would use a 73-76 shaker with the entire vertical block-off plate removed.... and put the stock '70 unit with flapper on a shelf in the garage.

70 Formula RA III / M21 / Lucerne Blue / Bright Blue
Old 10-18-2022, 09:36 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAUL K View Post
Yes definetly. Ten horse seems realistic but it probably sounds like a fifty horsepower gain.
Would be a good show for "Engine Masters" to run. With and without air cleaners or different air cleaners.

The Following User Says Thank You to necdb3 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-19-2022, 03:14 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by keith k View Post
The biggest benefit of the shaker is that it's pulling in cooler air (that hasn't been heated up by passing through the radiator on its way into the snorkel).

To maximize that benefit, I would use a 73-76 shaker with the entire vertical block-off plate removed.... and put the stock '70 unit with flapper on a shelf in the garage.
I agree. If anything it's the cool air not any ram-effect, especially for the shaker.

What's the reason for using a different shaker, to preserve the original or or just better flow without the flap?

Old 10-19-2022, 06:48 PM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by necdb3 View Post
Would be a good show for "Engine Masters" to run. With and without air cleaners or different air cleaners.
Salad Bowl for the win! Check out Engine Masters Season 2, episode 27 "Air Filter Horsepower Shootout!" They tested 19 types of air filters, it was a good episode. I will have to rewatch it. Spoiler...but a salad bowl will work the best.

Old 10-19-2022, 06:58 PM
Ultimate Warrior

If you look at a Firebird air cleaner, the base is dropped relative to where the base is on the GTO. This restricts air flow, so flipping the lid upside down would help a bunch.

At steady state cruising, an engine only puts out as much horsepower as it takes to maintain a constant speed. So if you improve air flow to the engine, it probably doesn't make much difference at part throttle. At full throttle, you need the extra air. In theory, the area in front of the windshield is a high pressure area, and pressure increases the faster you go. So if the shaker opens up, it's letting in cooler (and denser) outside air into the aircleaner, bypassing the single snorkel that's bringing in hot air. So I would expect a difference would only be noticeable at higher speeds.

Old 10-19-2022, 07:13 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhein View Post
What's the reason for using a different shaker, to preserve the original or or just better flow without the flap?
Because the flap opening on a '70-'72 shaker isn't the size of the full potential opening. You're probably losing 25-30% of the total air that could flow through if the entire area was opened up. That's a lot of air. And the more that comes through the shaker vs. the snorkel, the lower the average inlet air temperature.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Shaker Rear.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	29.5 KB
ID:	600764  

70 Formula RA III / M21 / Lucerne Blue / Bright Blue
The Following User Says Thank You to keith k For This Useful Post: