Old 11-01-2022, 09:04 PM

Exclamation 1981 Pontiac Firebird 3.8L PCV Grommet Fell into engine

Hi all, I was changing the PCV valve on my 81 firebird 3.8L and the old grommet was dried out and broke off with the old PCV valve. Bought a new PCV valve and a new grommet, however this grommet may have been slightly larger than the original. Got the grommet in, and pushed down hard with the new PCV in hand. Pop. Gommet was nowhere to be seen. It had fallen into the engine.

Do I have to retrieve it?

I've seen multiple threads where people say the valley pan will catch it, so no worries. But none of these people had my specific engine, an '81 Buick v6, so I really want to make sure before I do anything.

Additionally I'll try fishing it out with a coat hanger and whichever grommet I have next I'll definitely drill out the hole and make it wider.

Thank you all for reading

Old 11-02-2022, 09:14 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I haven't seen one of those things in 30 years and I can't remember.... is the PCV in the intake area and not the valve cover?

Old 11-02-2022, 10:21 AM
Ultimate Warrior

the valley pan should be closed off enough to catch the grommet. i had one break up into 2 or 3 pieces on my old 455, no way to retrieve the pieces so i just left it alone for many years before pulling it to rebuild. when i pulled it the pieces were still in there & was able to get them out with the pan off.

the holes are pretty tight on new grommets, best to just put a little oil on the valve before inserting it, if you drill it out it will be too loose as it ages.

Old 11-02-2022, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mzbk2l View Post
I haven't seen one of those things in 30 years and I can't remember.... is the PCV in the intake area and not the valve cover?
Yeah it’s on the passenger side of the intake behind the carb, I’ve attached a diagram of my engine showing where it is

Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	74A5F10A-EFC7-4040-B051-C78F7CC6FC89.gif
Views:	41
Size:	15.4 KB
ID:	601590  

Old 11-02-2022, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 78w72 View Post
the valley pan should be closed off enough to catch the grommet. i had one break up into 2 or 3 pieces on my old 455, no way to retrieve the pieces so i just left it alone for many years before pulling it to rebuild. when i pulled it the pieces were still in there & was able to get them out with the pan off.

the holes are pretty tight on new grommets, best to just put a little oil on the valve before inserting it, if you drill it out it will be too loose as it ages.
Good to know thanks!

Old 11-02-2022, 09:28 PM
Suspended

Unfortunately a lost grommet can only be fixed by replacing with a V8 engine with a good grommet. Just kidding, forget all about it and be careful with the next one!

The Following User Says Thank You to Trevor78 For This Useful Post: