Old 11-03-2022, 08:35 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Front brake disc questions

Working on acquiring parts for a drum to disc conversion. I read through several archives on it.

What size width are the factor 64 rims? 14x6?

How difficult is it to find 1969-70 14" rims for the 69 disc brake setup?

I know wheelvintiques sells steel 14" rims but how can you tell by looking at them if they are pre or post 1969?

Do the 14" rims from 69-70 work with the spinner hub cap?

What was the stock bore size for the 69 disc/drum MC? 1"

I already put a dual MC on my car a few years back. However there is no proportioning valve.

Seems a lot of places are out of stock when it comes to parts.

I have spindles, brackets and dust shields already. I can't seem to find a kit that has the remainder of what I need. I will need to call around and see if they if they will work with me.

Old 11-05-2022, 09:17 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I can't answer your wheel questions but for all the other parts I removed everything from a 1971 Cutlass. Tempest should be the same and stock replacement parts should be available.

Old 11-05-2022, 09:42 PM

Yes 14x6” wheels came as standard on the GTO, 14x5” on the Tempest and Le Mans.

There are plenty of disc brake compatible 14x6” GM intermediate wheels from the ‘70s that will work, not just ‘69 and ‘70. The spinner hubcaps work with all of them, same for the dog dish caps.

I would assume the Wheel Vintiques steel wheels are disc brake compatible, it would make no sense to offer new wheels that won’t work with disc brakes. I would recommend finding the real deal GM wheels rather than aftermarket.

Old 11-16-2023, 03:09 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Bringing this one back from the dead.

https://www.speedwaymotors.com/Stock...-Kit,4624.html

I found this kit and speedway said they can delete the parts I don't need. Cheapest option I have found.

I wanted to make sure I'm clear on this. The kit says 11" rotors and can only be used with 15" rims.

Factory rotors were 10 3/4 correct? Can I assume they are rounding up and just covering their butt?
I would most likley go the Wheel vintique route for a couple of front disc compaticle 14" rims.

Old 11-16-2023, 03:52 PM

The factory 11” rotors were actually 10.95” or 10.9” not 10.75”.

Aftermarket kits always say to use 15” wheels to cover themselves. Grinding on the calipers is usually the cure if you want to use some 14” disc brake wheels with these kits.

Better yet just use some factory spindles and caliper brackets and run whatever size wheels you want. True they’re not as plentiful nowadays but hardly impossible to find.

12” rotors and single piston calipers will also fit inside a 15” wheel, just like the factory offered on some later B-body cars. It shouldn’t be a problem running 14” disc brake wheels with that kit as long as you’re willing to do some minor material removal from the calipers.

Old 11-17-2023, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohrt View Post
Bringing this one back from the dead.

I found this kit and speedway said they can delete the parts I don't need. Cheapest option I have found.

I wanted to make sure I'm clear on this. The kit says 11" rotors and can only be used with 15" rims.

Factory rotors were 10 3/4 correct? Can I assume they are rounding up and just covering their butt?
I would most likley go the Wheel vintique route for a couple of front disc compaticle 14" rims.
I believe you will need to add later disc style spindles to this kit if you have drum spindles.

There are a few kits that use a 10.5" rotor so you can stay with a 14" rim

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/r.../gto/year/1964

kit is more money but if you can use your existing wheels may be a wash.

I used a summit kit on my 65 (11" rotor /15" wheels) works very well and was a breeze to install.

Old 11-17-2023, 02:46 PM
Ultimate Warrior

As a note to that kit above:

It is a copy of our kit - and uses a 2-1/2" bore caliper. CPP made a run of 2-3/4" bore calipers that work much better.

The buyer of my old company sells this kit as a base kit - no booster or master.

Also note another PY'er was having issues with that Corvette master and tilted booster.

Old 11-17-2023, 08:10 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarebird View Post

It is a copy of our kit - and uses a 2-1/2" bore caliper. CPP made a run of 2-3/4" bore calipers that work much better.

The buyer of my old company sells this kit as a base kit - no booster or master.

Also note another PY'er was having issues with that Corvette master and tilted booster.
On the CPP page this was the closes I kit I could find to the speedway kit.

[URL]https://www.classicperform.com/Store/1964_1972_Chevelle_Elcamino/6474WBPS.htm[URL]

I didn't realize there were two different bore sizes when it comes to the calipers. What was the stock size? Who was the buyer of your old company?

The problem I have with these kits is I don't need the spindles/caliper brackets or dust sheild and most of these companies can't delete these items. Then to piece meal the parts is more expensive then to just buy the kit.

Old 11-18-2023, 12:01 AM
Ultimate Warrior

USCT. Same name, scarebird.com - their email works of course.

CPP just makes the oversized calipers (2-3/4")

Old 11-28-2023, 03:35 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarebird View Post

I went back to look at the speedway kit again.
The description stated "Calipers feature larger 2-3/4" bore from 1969-77 GM midsize cars with 7/16"-20 inlet"

Thanks for bring up the difference between the calipers I didn't realize there were a 2.5 and 2.75 choices. I just want to stay close to stock parts.

Last edited by rohrt; 11-28-2023 at 04:23 PM.