Old 11-05-2022, 08:27 PM

Default PDL harness question

I am installing the PDL harness in my 1970 GTO convertible (PW done, PDL actuators in place) and I can't figure out where this one 3-pin connector (near the fuse box hot wire conector) and these two (one on each side) tiny, round, 2-pin connectors (closer to the actuator connection) do/go. All are there on 2 original harnesses. Any ideas?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6886.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	90.7 KB
ID:	601747   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6887.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	50.7 KB
ID:	601748  

Old 11-05-2022, 08:28 PM

Also, I have not yet found any information or diagrams of the wire harness routing in any of the usual sources. There was a similar thread in 2005, but no definitive information or diagrams were discovered.

Old 11-05-2022, 08:51 PM

I have a 70 GTO with power door locks and as I remember, the 3 prong connector connects to a relay and the small 2 pin connector is related to the power seat back release option that uses an additional door jamb switch (my car doesn’t have this option). I might be wrong about this because it’s been a long time since I looked at it, so take it for what it’s worth.

Old 11-05-2022, 09:29 PM

A relay, you say... well that makes sense, so the PDL switches actuate the relay (same as the PW relay) and the relay sends power directly to the actuators. Where, perchance, would you suspect this relay would be located? It can't be far from the fuse box looking at the way the harness is constructed.

The small, round 2-pin connectors are related to the Power Seat Back option? When you unlock the PDLs, does that also unlock the seat backs? Same with opening the door? I thought the Power Seat backs used a door jamb switch with two spade terminals, but maybe not. These round terminals would be located close to the door jambs when installed.

This car has PS, PB, PDL, PW, Power Seat Back release, Power top, AM-FM 8-track, Power trunk release and Power Flow-Through Ventilation (No AC - RAIV). The wiring is a big puzzle. Not an abundance of information in the workshop manuals. No power seats, though (thankfully). Kinda strange that this car was ordered with RAIV and 4-speed and then a lot of creature-comfort options.

Also, I see no indication of a rear speaker or the reverb. Could you have an 8-track with only the front speaker? In a convertible, the rear speaker would be useless with the top down anyway.

Old 11-05-2022, 10:45 PM

Sounds like a great car you have! I remember that the relay was behind the driver's kick panel and yes, I remember reading somewhere that when the pdl switch is activated, the power seat back release is triggered.

Old 11-05-2022, 11:13 PM
Senior Chief

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old 11-06-2022, 06:56 AM

Wow, Dave, thanks, that's perfect. Where did you find it?

Old 11-06-2022, 10:21 AM
Senior Chief

It’s a section of a book that covers vacuum circuits and wiring. I bought the 70 - 74 Pontiac section on eBay.

Old 11-06-2022, 01:46 PM

WTF? A "book"? What book is this? That one wiring diagram is found nowhere else. Pontiac restoration gold!

Old 11-06-2022, 01:50 PM
Senior Chief

I believe it was a GM publication of some kind, guy sectioned it out by years and divisions and was listing them that way on eBay. Mainly having 70’s and now a 72 that was the only section I bought.

Old 11-06-2022, 01:57 PM

Both of my original PDL/PSB harnesses have a relay. I see no relay in the diagram.

Old 11-06-2022, 04:40 PM
Senior Chief

Couple from 72 Fisher Body manual, don’t see relays there?

Old 11-06-2022, 09:53 PM

I see a relay in the first diagram above, but it's a totally different body style and circuit.
In 1970, could you order Seat Back Locks without having Door Locks? I have a harness marked "1970 A-body power door locks" that has the two round connectors for the door jamb switches but they are taped down. Also I marked the harness 30 years ago so I have no idea where it came from.
If a particular car has the power door locks (which does have a relay), does the power seat back harness somehow connect to the power door lock harness (and use the same relay)?
I took this particular car apart in 1997 and tried to keep all harnesses separate and well marked, but I also acquired other power window/door lock/seat back complete and partial setups over the years and which is which can get confusing. I will try to lay it all out tomorrow and try to make sense of everything. Thanks for the help.

Old 11-06-2022, 09:58 PM

Sorry, one more question:
Did cars with the power seat back release option have TWO door jamb switches? I don't see any way the round 2-prong switch for the seat back lock would have any connection to the standard jamb switch circuit.

Old 11-08-2022, 02:29 PM

I think I have this figured out. The Power Window and Power Door Lock harnesses both have large Orange/Black stripe wires that plug into the power accessory harness that plugs into the fuse box (along with the power top and the power trunk harnesses). There are two door jamb switches that have a unique 2-prong connector. I believe they insert just above the dome light/key buzzer door jamb switch (there is a dimple there). The Power Seat Back harness plugs into a connector on the Power Door Lock harness. In this scenario, all connections are accounted for and seem to make sense (see photos). There is a power accessory relay in this circuit, but I do not know where it attaches to the frame. Any suggestions?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6903.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	44.2 KB
ID:	601882   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6904.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	41.4 KB
ID:	601883   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6905.jpg
Views:	42