Old 11-05-2022, 09:32 PM
Suspended

Default New rollers on window regulators

Has anyone ever added new rollers onto their window regulators? I'm not talking about the bolt on rollers commonly sold that mount on the door glass, but the regulators themselves. These are riveted on, 2 types. I assume that power and manual could have the same but haven't checked.

A few replacement rivet-on rollers are available for other models and 1st gens, as are larger kits that included a bolt-on version which would be far better. But you'd need many kits to do this, and they require different sizes, of which I also haven't checked yet.

https://www.autozone.com/collision-b...430/525517_0_0

I'm just cleaning up a spare set of regulators that will eventually all be swapped over during door glass swap. They still have the original rollers, as nearly every car would it seems. There's also the possibility of warming and pressing a new roller onto existing riveted ball mount. Or just leaving alone and hope they aren't too worn or brittle. Thought I'd see what others have done first for ideas.

Old 11-06-2022, 01:47 AM
Suspended

It appears that 2 of the 3 rollers are actually identical to this one, which is part of the window glass roller set. But the roller itself isn't really sold separately, so far, or meant to be popped onto a new one.

https://pontiworld.com.au/usgmsp/ima...802w%20(1).jpg

Old 11-06-2022, 07:26 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I just haven't found a lot of advantage to replacing rollers unless they are totally trashed or flat spotted. When installed new ones seem to operate just as well or poorly as the old ones. Often tending to slide rather than roll, and in general any slop is taken up in the very first movement of the crank. I've measured the diameter of new ones compared to old ones and seldom find any real difference.

In my case at least, poor window operation nine times out of ten ends up being the adjustment of the glass. Definitely learning curve there ... something I haven't perfected for sure ... often it seems smooth operation, and good sealing at the same time is very hard to achieve.

That said ... while you have it apart, does make sense to replace whatever you can.