Old 11-08-2022, 11:47 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Default 10th t/a pinstriping tips or tricks

Got my '79 10th t/a back from paint and had them put the bird on as I felt it was beyond what I could do, but did the rest of the decals myself without issue. Now it's time to tackle the roughly 1 mile of pinstriping and wanted to see if there were any collective tips and/or tricks folks here have learned over the years to do it properly.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	t:a.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	134.0 KB
ID:	601873  

Old 11-08-2022, 04:18 PM
Senior Chief

If it's 70 degrees or higher for a couple days and doesn't drop below 60 for a couple nights, go ahead and do it.

Dry fit the decals in place with masking tape around the 2 tone area to make sure the 2 tone was masked correctly. and the angle from door to hood is correct. Obviously the edge of the 2 tone would be in the center of the tape. Make sure the paint mask line is smooth, otherwise wet sand it. A paint edge with show through. The edges showed when these cars were new, so that would be correct, but bad quality by todays standards.

Don't know if the decal supplier gave you any cleaner. Regardless, when you start applying clean the paint surface first with Windex glass cleaner and paper towel to remove waterborne contaminates. Wear nitryl gloves to keep you hand oils off the paint. Then clean with solvent based or water based wax and grease remover from your local auto paint supplier. Water based is preffered, SPI (Southern Polyurethanes sell this). Not knowing what the painter applied to the surface I would do this procedure a couple times. If you think anyone applied ceramic wax to the car, it will take a lot of prep to get that off.

I would install the stripes dry, but it's up to you. They are small and bubbles should not be an issue.

Once clean, dry fit the stripes first, then apply the decals from the outside edges and meet in the center. You can leave some of the backing on the stripe until you get the center aligned and trimmed. If they look good, squeege them to the surface with a felt tipped decal or vinyl wrap squeege. After a day they should be stuck pretty good. Put in the sun if you can.

Old 11-10-2022, 08:50 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Havent done my TATA yet but did have done S.E. stripes. I used the soapy installation stuff with the stripes and had mixed results. It was not drying properly and the stripe came off when I pulled the top masking layer. Calls to Phoenix were nil. I ended up doing half the car dry and it worked out perfect! Just need to make sure things are aligned properly before you start sticking them into place. IF you do use the liquid use it sparingly.

The Following User Says Thank You to TAKerry For This Useful Post:
Old 12-05-2022, 03:04 PM
Ultimate Warrior

For best adhesion, put them on dry. Tape down each stripe with the backing
still attached then when you get it where you want it, lay down masking tape along one edge of the stripe as a guide to exact placement. Next tape down
half of the stripe so it can't move, then peel off the backing on the other half of the stripe and starting at the middle, slowly lay it down using your fingers as a
squeegee and following the masking tape you laid down as a guide. When that half is down, peel off the backing on the other end of the stripe and lay it down
starting at the middle. This method works great on any decal that isn't huge like
a hood bird, and you always get better adhesion using the dry method.

The Following User Says Thank You to gtohurstjudge For This Useful Post: