THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Old 11-16-2022, 04:49 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuart View Post
When I graduated from school I interviewed with Chrysler. It turned out the job opening was for a windshield wiper engineer. I hadn't thought about it before then but it took a team of people just to work on that one subassembly, let alone the entire vehicle.
Yep. Somewhere out there is the industry expert on cupholders. Or "muffin tin" ashtray inserts. Or transfer cases. Or seats.

Every detail of every part has to be sussed out: the size, shape, color, texture, grain, effort, etc.

That's what I like about planting trees. I don't have to decide how big the leaves need to be or what shape they should be or what color they need to be. It just happens.

K

'74 Chevelle - original owner, 9.85 @ 136 mph besthttp://www.superchevy.com/features/s...hevy-chevelle/
My Pontiac Story: http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...d.php?t=560524
"Intro from an old Assembly Plant Guy":http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=342926
Old 11-16-2022, 05:18 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith Seymore View Post
Yep. Somewhere out there is the industry expert on cupholders. Or "muffin tin" ashtray inserts. Or transfer cases. Or seats.

Every detail of every part has to be sussed out: the size, shape, color, texture, grain, effort, etc.

That's what I like about planting trees. I don't have to decide how big the leaves need to be or what shape they should be or what color they need to be. It just happens.

K
About 15 years ago, I went to a 8 hour seminar on piston ring design by Federal mogul. The first engineer went into incredible detail about top compression ring design for 3 hours, then there was a Q&A. One guy asked a question about the second compression ring. The engineer said, " I have spent the last 30 years designing the top compression ring". "I wouldn't know anything about that". Yea, it's that detailed.

The Following User Says Thank You to mgarblik For This Useful Post:
Old 11-16-2022, 11:33 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Location: 31May2013 Temporary home to the world's widest (that we know of) tornado. Lord, NO more Please...

There's a great YouTube movie/documentary about Vince Lombardi's life. Many may not care. Things he did in his life, were done with excellence!!!

In the movie, John Madden told a story. He was an assistant coach at a junior college back then. He said he felt confident in most things concerning football.
Madden attended a coaching conference for coaches. A one day deal. He said they started at 8 a.m. broke for a one hour lunch, then assembled again till 5 o'clock p.m.

The only topic Lombardi spoke about was the Packer sweep...for 8 hours.

When Madden got out of Lombardi's class, he realized he knew NOTHING about coaching football!!!

Shut it off
Shut it off
Buddy, I just shut your Prius down...
Old 11-16-2022, 11:44 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

The tube can save the day. You can find most anything there.

https://youtube.com/shorts/gG15nb4FWeo?feature=share
Old 11-17-2022, 10:03 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Don't get me wrong I admire engineers and respect the course requirements to get their degrees. I started out in electrical engineering in college and it didn't take me long to switch to business. I had a friend who went the chemical engineering route and we never saw him for four years he was always studying. BUT they do stupid things sometimes that absolutely drive you nuts. For whatever reason?

The Following User Says Thank You to 61-63 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-17-2022, 10:34 AM
Ultimate Warrior

My late father, that was a mechanic by trade, used to say, "The guy that designed this, never had to work on it", that's cleaned up from his real language...LOL

One of the reasons in 1988 I started working on construction equipment, and only worked on cars part time, the engineers packaged the stuff usually much better than automotive engineers did. Some of them actually designed things that made it easier to access parts of the machine for service. It also paid much better.

1984 Grand Prix

100% Pontiacs in my driveway!!! What's in your driveway?

If you don't take some of the RACETRACK home with you, Ya got cheated

Last edited by Sirrotica; 11-17-2022 at 10:40 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Sirrotica For This Useful Post:
Old 11-17-2022, 04:46 PM
Ultimate Warrior

When will we see the Cliff Ruggles Youtube channel?

Old 11-21-2022, 05:00 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I spend a lot of time on YouTube these days. Currently converting an '87 F350 crew cab diesel dually project to 4x4, rebuilding ZF5 trans, rebuilding 1356 transfer case, rebuilding 7.3 IDI diesel turbo engine. I've built engines and transmissions before, but not a diesel and not a ZF-5. Much easier to tackle with video to watch. I'm also doing YT videos of the build and having a lot of fun doing it.

These days, when I come across an issue and can't find a good video on it, I make one and post it on my channel.