Old 09-29-2008, 01:30 PM

Default Stopping cancer between gas tank and trunk floor?

What is the best cure for this? Before firing up our 1980 T/A, we decided to pull the tank since we noticed the fuel level gauge is not working. Which was pretty cool because we found the buid sheet for the car. So my wife is pretty happy about that.

Anyway, I noticed some surface rust forming underneath the trunk floor. We were thinking of sanding it all down, then maybe spraying it with undercoating. Is that a good or bad idea? Or should we use something like POR-15, to stop the rust?

Old 09-30-2008, 08:58 AM
Ultimate Warrior

A high quality rust paint is a good idea. (after a thorough wirebrushing & cleaning)

Undercoating will generally just hide the rust while it's still rusting & your fuel tank will be stuck to the trunk floor.

Old 09-30-2008, 09:10 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I totally agree. POR-15 is an awesome product. Just use a wire wheel to get the main amount then use some sand paper to get in the cracks if need be. Probably a 320 grit. Make sure you wear gloves with the POR, if you get it on your skin you are going to have a black blotch on there for at least a week lol...

Old 09-30-2008, 11:48 AM

LOL!...Ok, thank's guy's. We are going to test fire it today without the gas tank. I just can't wait any longer. Got to make sure the car even starts before I go off ordering a new gas tank and sending unit.