Pontiac - Race The next Level

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 07-08-2022, 10:39 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Solid lifter valve springs question

In the mid 2000s Dave at SD ported a set of original (to the car) 670 heads for me and I thought maybe it would be a good idea to replace the valve springs, even though the engine really hasn't had any use in the past several years as I was doing a frame off restomod build.

I have all the receipts from all the work Dave did over the years for me ( I bought his 65 SD drag car years ago) but unfortunately the invoice doesn't have the spring # on it. Dave lost his data in the first mudslide that he had in '09.

I have the Ultradyne 288/296 solid cam in it, Dave said if the installed height is 1.8750+/- they should have been the Crane 99893 springs, which are the same as the Howard 98445s. The installed height seems to be what mine are, will double check as I meant to check the shim thickness too for refrence. When I pulled one of the existing springs off the head I set it next to one of the new ones and the free height is shorter and it has an inner damper as opposed to an inner spring like the Howard's.

I don't have an actual way to test the old springs anymore, I could buy an on head tester, which I should probably have...I'm just wondering if anyone thinks the new ones are good to swap on or if I should do something else.

6.0 cert. Fiat bodied altered blown alcohol Pontiac IAII-Sold