Old 09-28-2008, 02:56 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default tilt steering slop

Wondering if my tilt column can be repaired or not. It's in a 77 TA and still works fine except recently has developed a lot of play in the tilt mech. It tilts up and down fine but when down it can be rocked up and down about 3 inches. I'm not sure what is worn to cause this or if it even can be fixed.
Any help?

Old 09-28-2008, 03:49 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

There are three screws that come loose but are relatively "easy" to get to and tighten up. You will need to remove the turn signal switch to get to two of them which can be good enough but to get to the third you will have to dig a little further. It's been a while since I've done one so my memory is a little cloudy.

Old 09-28-2008, 08:26 PM
Ultimate Warrior

What KO said. Those 3 screws are the most common culprit.

Old 09-28-2008, 09:01 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Thanks,
I guess I'll start digging down the column and see if I can find the loose screws.

Old 09-28-2008, 09:23 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Take the column apart, tighten the screws down, and lube everything up while you are at it. It's not that difficult to do with all of the proper tools.

Old 09-28-2008, 09:26 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Four screws actually. It's kinda a PITA, just make sure you get the tool to get the pivot pins out.

www.jandjrepairandrestoration
Old 09-29-2008, 12:20 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Walker View Post
just make sure you get the tool to get the pivot pins out.
Good point. It's basically a mini slide hammer. The top 2 bolts can be tightened without removing the tilt mechanism, the bottom 2 require it to be removed (and likely are the ones that are loose) to get to them. It's mostly a pain if you remove something and can't remember how it goes back in (or worse, a piece falls out in the middle of removal and you didn't see how it went in originally).

Old 09-29-2008, 12:33 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

The earlier columns are easier because you dont have the wiper switch and related parts to deal with. YOU will need a tool to depress the lock plate and remove the retaining rings. The remove the tilt pins, I have used small screws, vice grips and a hammer.

Old 09-29-2008, 09:38 AM
Ultimate Warrior

If you have the Pontiac Service manual for your 77, the procedures for working on the tilt column are in there. Yes, for a complete job, a pivot pin puller and lock plate depresser tool is needed. They don't cost much.

Old 09-29-2008, 10:00 AM
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Walker View Post
Four screws actually. It's kinda a PITA, just make sure you get the tool to get the pivot pins out.
Ditto. You can get to 3 screws without taking it all the way apart. The 4th one usually isn't necessary. I'd buy another column before I tried to get all 4 unless you're familiar with them.
I used a screw to pull those pivots out when I was rebuilding a couple. You know I have two that are still apart that I bet I can't remember how to put back together now that it's been so long.