Old 09-30-2008, 02:26 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default What body/interior parts interchange?

I have a '81 TA w/301. It needs a few things and I was wondering what body parts and what interior parts interchange. Things I need most is a right front fender and driver side door. Thanks.

Old 09-30-2008, 02:35 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Any Firebird door will interchange. The early cars used hex headed bolts to hold in the regulators where later cars used rivets. Im sure if you drilled the rivets out bolts could be used. Camaro doors will fit but they have a stepped body line about 4 inches from the bottom that firebirds don't have. Fenders will technically fit through all years 70-81 but early fenders have brackets on the front for the lower steel valance to bolt to where later cars do not have these brackets.

As far as interior. Your main differences will be with the rear upper panels. If you have an '81 you can only use panels down to '75. The headliner trim is different also. Early cars used a bowed headliner where later cars used the solid style glued to the foam and cardboard. The outer headliner trim is specific to the headliner in the car. I'm 99% sure '75 cars where when they changed to the board style. Seats are usually somewhat specific to model year as far as upholstery is concerned with later cars. The seat styles themselves changed through the years both with standard and deluxe interior cars. To be correct for '81 you are going to need '78 and later stuff depending on trim style.

Old 09-30-2008, 02:43 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Cool thanks. What about hoods? I MIGHT put in a LSX based motor and if I can't find intake like the Year One Bandit TA I might have to put a Formula or buy a junk TA/Shaker hood and bold a crappy Shaker to it.

Old 09-30-2008, 04:40 PM
Ultimate Warrior

They are all the same from '77 to '81. '70-'76 hoods are different. The shaker bases on the Y/O car were hand made there. They seem to be very selective on what parts they are making available to the public off of that car. The top was the factory piece. I'm sure any talented fabricator could make you one out of aluminum, which I think would look alot cooler anyways. As much as I love the Y/O car thier LS7 shaker base looks crude in person.

Old 09-30-2008, 06:46 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default ta parts

If you need that stuff I have a bunch of it and I am right next door in Mansfield. Mark

Old 10-01-2008, 08:25 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonneville Joe View Post
They are all the same from '77 to '81. '70-'76 hoods are different. The shaker bases on the Y/O car were hand made there. They seem to be very selective on what parts they are making available to the public off of that car. The top was the factory piece. I'm sure any talented fabricator could make you one out of aluminum, which I think would look alot cooler anyways. As much as I love the Y/O car thier LS7 shaker base looks crude in person.
ok cool. Andrew's car has a nice steel shaker for his LSX engine.

Old 10-01-2008, 08:26 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAIVJUMB View Post
If you need that stuff I have a bunch of it and I am right next door in Mansfield. Mark

Great. Thanks Mark. At some point, once I get going, I might like to come over and take a gander at what you have. Thanks again. Chris

Old 10-01-2008, 12:09 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Speaking of fab'd shakers. If anyone hasn't seen this car they need to check it out. Coors had Jesse James of West Coast Choppers build them a "Bandit" T/A years ago before Year One thought of building one. It's either BBC or SBC powered but overall it's a mean ass car. Check out the hand made shaker for the procharger.

http://www.procharger.com/coors_jesse_james.shtml