Industry Stuff new repro's, updates, other info.

View Poll Results: How important is SEEING stock status when you place an online order through PY?
Very Important. I need an immediate stock quote 111 68.94%
Somewhat Important. I'd like to get a notification of what is in stock that day. 37 22.98%
It would be nice, but I could do without it. 7 4.35%
I could care less. 6 3.73%
Voters: 161. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-28-2014, 02:51 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by pggto View Post
I'm sorry but currently I do not like your new parts website, nothing shows up, I prefer to download the catalog a shop that way. Where do you even download a catalog? It pulls up items I'm not even looking for, for only a few models??????????? Very difficult to find anything.
I would say that you are searching by putting in a description. example; 'radiator cap' If you do this, then you will get nothing or almost nothing because if the description says 'rad cap' it doesn't match. If you put in 'cap' then you get too many results. With the restoration supply business, there are far too many descriptions to yield good results by trying to shop by description. It is much better browsing experience if you use the various categories and sub categories to find what you want. If you have our hard copy of the catalog, then it's easiest to just key in the part number.

You download a catalog by clicking on 'catalogs' from the home page or scrolling to the bottom of the home page where each catalog is displayed.

Old 08-29-2014, 03:55 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I downloaded the catalog, printed it on the company printer and order by email or on the phone. the guys are decent to deal with!

My wife says she'd llike my car a lot more if it wasn't mine.

64 Grand Prix 389 .030, 1.65 Scorpion Rollers, Tripower, RARE Long Branch, Custom Stainless Exhaust and mufflers, 3.90 posi 200-4R. 068 cam.
Old 08-31-2014, 03:08 PM
Ultimate Warrior

It's a business choice how you present your information to your users, but I must say having too many categories can make finding items difficult.. I personally prefer searching, and not only on your site. If you have "search", make it useful.

Searching can be made much more effective by including phrases, words, or numbers that are obviously related to the product within the record for that item.. Metadata..

If all you have from the data from your supplier is Rad Cap.. Add to the description "radiator" or other words that make sense to someone looking for it...

If you are saying that for example, the 1972 Pontiac A Body Radiator Cap you sell is called "Rad Cap" in the bit of data you get from your supplier, and you take the data you get from the supplier and simply insert that into the items' record in your Database, then I think that's not the best practice. There is a lot you can do to add useful information.

In my business, we deal with thousands of records in many databases for a variety of purposes. I do understand the effort. But as I said it's a toss up.
We can all improve our web presence, but that's the beauty of the web, You CAN change it all the time. Not like a Catalog..

Work
'67 GTO Convertible "Koerner Built 413 500 hp with a Victor!.. I'll run a stock intake."
'75 Formula 400 - Daily Driver -
Running with my Home Built 455 and TH400

Details here:
http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...d.php?t=588372

Last edited by vidguy; 08-31-2014 at 03:13 PM.
Old 09-02-2014, 11:27 PM
Ultimate Warrior

The website designer Im sure has data on searches here and this site can be fine tuned with that. Some new websites can learn on their own.
Having done a lot of POP marketing in the past, I find that 1, having the part, 2, a picture of said part, and 3 making checkout easy ( paypal would require no address, CC numbers etc.) Oddly enough, I buy PY Stuff on Ebay with 2 clicks! and Chis has a picture or two up there...How easy is that? ( I know ebay sucks the sellers but its a good example of simplicity)
Correct
Fast
Easy
Is the only way to sell these days..having the tools in place at the POP makes things happen. People will reconsider if its too much work as in long computer searches.
I recommend a "Thread" on the Forums for "Customer installed parts Pictures" Screen them and make SURE the PN and a LINK to them is ON that Pic or near it to purchase said part. SEEING that part ON a fellow members car is a HUGE persuasion, and woudn't take much to do.

Old 09-23-2014, 01:44 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

One problem with the site is it requires more knowledge of the cars than it should. For example I'm putting a list together of things I need for a engine rebuild for the 65 Bonneville. I want a new water pump and divider plates. If I go to the full size catalog there are no entries. I have to do an item search for "water pump" to find you do of course have the parts in stock.

This issue is by no means limited to PY. For example go to auto zone and ask for a pilot bearing for a 65 Catalina 421 4 speed. They will tell you they don't have them. Then ask for the same part for a 68 GTO 400 4 speed, and they go get the bearing off the shelve.

65 Catalina Safari 4DSW
Old 09-23-2014, 05:03 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by LASJayhawk View Post
One problem with the site is it requires more knowledge of the cars than it should. For example I'm putting a list together of things I need for a engine rebuild for the 65 Bonneville. I want a new water pump and divider plates. If I go to the full size catalog there are no entries. I have to do an item search for "water pump" to find you do of course have the parts in stock.

This issue is by no means limited to PY. For example go to auto zone and ask for a pilot bearing for a 65 Catalina 421 4 speed. They will tell you they don't have them. Then ask for the same part for a 68 GTO 400 4 speed, and they go get the bearing off the shelve.
Absolutely good point! These systems are only as good as the data we enter. This particular issue was easy to fix. I added both items to the online FS catalog now. You'll see them if you try again. In fact, I found about 10 part numbers that somehow were omitted from the FS catalog. Now they are there.

Old 11-09-2014, 10:58 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ccass View Post
I would say that you are searching by putting in a description. example; 'radiator cap' If you do this, then you will get nothing or almost nothing because if the description says 'rad cap' it doesn't match. If you put in 'cap' then you get too many results. With the restoration supply business, there are far too many descriptions to yield good results by trying to shop by description. It is much better browsing experience if you use the various categories and sub categories to find what you want. If you have our hard copy of the catalog, then it's easiest to just key in the part number.

You download a catalog by clicking on 'catalogs' from the home page or scrolling to the bottom of the home page where each catalog is displayed.
This is a problem. A bad search engine probably does me damage than no search engine. If I search and come up empty, I assume you don't sell what I need so I'm forced elsewhere.

After reading ask these issues, I tried something different: I worked in the downloaded catalog in Adobe using that search function. VERY effective. That led me to the part number which i then looked up on PY site.

In general, I appreciate what PY does, I like the web chat function a lot, but as a consumer, I have come to expect a lot from my on line shopping experience, like summit's site. I understand they have more money. I'm just explaining where I'm coming from and what I'm comparing to.

I will still turn here first wherever possible, in part because of this forum.

So keep asking for feedback. Just knowing that you ask, and hearing from you first hand where you can't deliver and why, goes a long way in my being more sympathetic to the situation, which will lead to my trying to buy from you more.

Communication is king.

Thanks for all you do

469, M21, 3.42

Old 11-09-2014, 03:36 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamIsAdam View Post
This is a problem. A bad search engine probably does me damage than no search engine. If I search and come up empty, I assume you don't sell what I need so I'm forced elsewhere.

After reading ask these issues, I tried something different: I worked in the downloaded catalog in Adobe using that search function. VERY effective. That led me to the part number which i then looked up on PY site.

In general, I appreciate what PY does, I like the web chat function a lot, but as a consumer, I have come to expect a lot from my on line shopping experience, like summit's site. I understand they have more money. I'm just explaining where I'm coming from and what I'm comparing to.

So keep asking for feedback. Just knowing that you ask, and hearing from you first hand where you can't deliver and why, goes a long way in my being more sympathetic to the situation, which will lead to my trying to buy from you more.

Communication is king.

Thanks for all you do
Adam has nailed it dead on and couldn't have said it better.

69 OHC ZH Sprint Hurst 3 Speed 3:55 (1 of 213)
99 Valkyrie 1520cc Flat 6 108hp/110tq - For Sale
http://sohcsix.yuku.com/forums/1/OHC-lounge
Wanted: 1969 OHC "H" Camshaft
Old 11-09-2014, 09:38 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Corrected a few "smart phone" errors (corrections in all CAPS). Who came up with that oxymoron of a term, anyway?

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamIsAdam View Post
This is a problem. A bad search engine probably does MORE damage than no search engine. If I search and come up empty, I assume you don't sell what I need so I'm forced elsewhere.

After reading ALL these issues, I tried something different: I worked in the downloaded catalog in Adobe using that search function. VERY effective. That led me to the part number which i then looked up on PY site.

Communication is king.

Thanks for all you do

469, M21, 3.42

Old 05-09-2015, 09:20 AM
Ultimate Warrior

As technology advances more and more becomes available and the more consumers expect it. Even Summit and Jegs have a lot of problems with their search engine. Be patient because PY/Ames, now one company are doing the best they can and are more willing to serve their customers than just about any company out there.

Old 05-09-2015, 09:30 AM
Ultimate Warrior

[QUOTE=Tim Corcoran;5400083] PY/Ames, now one companyQUOTE]

no they are not