Members Helping Members help Buying a non Pontiac item, transportation help, Handy-man advice, directions, vacation ideas, places to dine, ebay and generally anything you think might help other members.

Old 12-03-2009, 02:10 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Unhappy Acid reflux

My wife is going tomorrow to have a light put down her throat to see what is going on, I am hear to tell you when it rains it pours on me, TKS keep us in your prayers. Your friend Randy.

Last edited by mike nixon; 03-28-2010 at 09:18 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 12-03-2009, 03:47 AM

Send a message via AIM to David Holmberg

She will be fine Randy, just have faith.

I have acid reflux and as bad and nasty as it can be, it's a fairly easy fix.

Keep us posted.

Old 12-03-2009, 03:49 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Acid reflux isn't a big deal, if treated early enough. I've had it for about ten years. I started having more and more indigestion. I was eating Tums at first. Then I started taking over the counter acid blockers. Then they wouldn't even cut it. I went to the doctor and got on prescription meds. I take Protonix twice daily. Now, I seldom have any symtoms. I also figured out what foods to avoid, or limit. Good luck!

If you have any questions, feel free to PM me. I'm an old pro at this one.

Old 12-03-2009, 10:55 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I have had A.R. since 2004. I got my A.R. after my back surgery, was givin something like 1600mg of ibuprofen and that ended up messing with the lining. Didn't realize what was going on until about 3 years ago. Was have all kinds of problems, burning in the throat, my tongue would burn, nausea, hot and cold spells, I couldn't even go to a restaurant because the smell of food would just make me nauseous.

Turns out that certain foods I would eat would trigger all these symptoms. I learned what foods caused the problems and stopped eating and drinking them. I also keep a bottle of Malox tablets on hand all the time in case of emergencies.

I also had the scope, upper GI, ultra sound done, upper GI is the worse having to drink that awful chalk tasting shake.

Since I have been avoiding the food and fluids that cause the symptoms, I have been fine with little to no issues anymore.

Your wife will be fine, just figure out what causes the symptoms and avoid them. Down size to it is usually you have to give up things you really like, or you grin a bear the pain with the help of meds.

Mark

1965 GTO: 467 (Built By Dan Willever), 400 Block, Eagle 4.25 Stroke, Eagle 6.8 Rods, BRC Pistons, Custom Grind Hydraulic Roller Cam, Edelbrock 72cc Heads Ported, HS Rockers, Doug's Headers, Edelbrock Victor 4150, QTF 850 Carb, TCI Flex plate, AutoGear M22 4 Speed, SPEC Clutch and Pressure Plate, 12 Bolt 3:73 Posi.

Old 12-03-2009, 11:01 AM
Ultimate Warrior

My son had AR from birth, but finally outgrew it.

It was a lot of fun trying to force feed the nasty berrium concoction to a 1-1/2 year old.........not!

No sleep for him, or mom and dad for about 3 years.

From what I've heard, the danger or AR is potential damage to the esophagus. I believe Nexuim (and maybe Prevacid) are the only meds that will actually help heal and reverse esophagus damage.

Good luck.

Old 12-03-2009, 03:02 PM

Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69goatboy View Post

From what I've heard, the danger or AR is potential damage to the esophagus. I believe Nexuim (and maybe Prevacid) are the only meds that will actually help heal and reverse esophagus damage.

Good luck.
I've drank the berrium, had the tube shoved down my throat (Dr. found eroded esophagus)and tried every over the counter medication known to man. The pain was intense and I could only sleep propped up or I would regurgitate in my sleep. Everything and anything I ingested would create acid reflux. Tums would work for about ten to fifteen minutes, OTC Zantac, Prevacid etc. about 20 minutes. Finally I got a prescription for Prilosec and for the first time in years I slept all night and I was free of A/R. That continued for about 3 or 4 days when I woke one morning to find that every square inch of my body itched. Went straight to the Dr.'s office and got a shot. The itching stopped immediately but he told me that I was allergic to Prilosec and all other known brands as they all carry one specific ingredient. He said it's back to the OTC drugs.

Anyway, after about 12 to 15 years of misery a drug by the name of Aciphex hit the market. It is expensive as there is no generic yet and won't be for two more years.
Aciphex has actually changed the quality of my life. I have no A/R at all. Even after having the spiciest foods.

Hope everything goes well for your wife.

Old 12-03-2009, 03:20 PM
62Lemans

I will offer this up. Dont expect any of you to believe it but thats YOUR problem.

For years I too had acid reflux. I found that a little lemon juice in water CURES THE PROBLEM. I have never seen a doctor But I DO -NOT- HAVE AR any more!!!!

It ISNT really acid - its your gall bladder not producing enuf bile to process the fats in the food and thus you 'reflux' the stuff!!. The lemon juice helps the flow of bile! (Later I found that ginger ale works just as well, tastes better even if more expensive).

Another help which I dont expect anyone to believe but again thats your problem. I sleep with two large dia donut magnets under my torso. Then I dont have to get up at night and drink either l.j. or g.a.

PS you can ridicule and poopoo all you want. You can also go to the doctors and make them rich or try the simple method! It does keep the acid from corroding the esophagus!!

Your choice!!

Last edited by 62Lemans; 12-03-2009 at 03:23 PM. Reason: typo
Old 12-03-2009, 03:22 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Acipex here too. Tried the other stuff too.

I feel her pain. I have dreams of spagetti.
Zantac 150 helps when a attack comes, which is rarely. Drinking milk also helps.
Also, everyone kept telling me vinegar would kill an attack/preventive, while I wont drink vinegar, a pickle everyday helps.

Old 12-03-2009, 03:33 PM

Send a message via AIM to David Holmberg

What I've seen is Everyone is different.

I can eat a pound of bacon before bed and not have a problem. Same with spicy foods.

However, let me eat one too many potato chips after 7pm and I'll be up all night.
And another part of it is it triggers your sinus's and the drainage keeps the bad stuff in your throat a long time...

Old 12-03-2009, 03:48 PM
Senior Chief

Aciphex here too... after a few months now I just take it when I eat spicy foods. or if i eat something after 8:00 I used to wake up with a mouthful of acid. Aciphex sure helped me, I'll try the lemon juice in the water..just in case I don't have any pills.

1971 Grand Prix 462ci SD Performance 6x heads
1962 Catalina 389
1968 Firebird 400-455 I haven't decided

"If we ever forget that we're one nation under GOD, then we will be a nation gone under." - Ronald Reagan
Old 12-03-2009, 04:42 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I had AR for 15 years. Took all the OC meds then went to Perscription stuff had some relief but always an on going problem. Two months ago I had my gall bladder out. I havent had a hint of AR since. I didnt have stones or a blocked duct. Just what they described was chronic inflamation of the gall bladder?

Old 12-03-2009, 05:00 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I recently lost 25 pounds and that helped my AR. I rarely have to take a Prevacid now, which when needed works well.

Old 12-03-2009, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 62Lemans View Post
I will offer this up. Dont expect any of you to believe it but thats YOUR problem.

For years I too had acid reflux. I found that a little lemon juice in water CURES THE PROBLEM. I have never seen a doctor But I DO -NOT- HAVE AR any more!!!!

It ISNT really acid - its your gall bladder not producing enuf bile to process the fats in the food and thus you 'reflux' the stuff!!. The lemon juice helps the flow of bile! (Later I found that ginger ale works just as well, tastes better even if more expensive).

Another help which I dont expect anyone to believe but again thats your problem. I sleep with two large dia donut magnets under my torso. Then I dont have to get up at night and drink either l.j. or g.a.

PS you can ridicule and poopoo all you want. You can also go to the doctors and make them rich or try the simple method! It does keep the acid from corroding the esophagus!!

Your choice!!

While it may have worked for you and even some others, I can't believe that you think that a little lemon juice will help every single case. Lemon juice or any other acidic drink would just about kill me including any beverage such as ginger ale with carbonation.

I guess my choice will be a little strange to you as I would prefer to go to a doctor and make him rich rather than trust my health to someone on a message board.

Old 12-03-2009, 06:10 PM
62Lemans

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiacguy View Post
I had AR for 15 years. Took all the OC meds then went to Perscription stuff had some relief but always an on going problem. Two months ago I had my gall bladder out. I havent had a hint of AR since. I didnt have stones or a blocked duct. Just what they described was chronic inflamation of the gall bladder?

Like I said in my post its the gallbladder not the stomach acids. And Lemon juice or gingerale would probably have saved you a bundle of co-pay!!!

And yes different people's systems are sensitive to different kinds of fats but it still
boils down to the gallbladded functioning properly.

Old 12-03-2009, 06:23 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffP View Post
While it may have worked for you and even some others, I can't believe that you think that a little lemon juice will help every single case. Lemon juice or any other acidic drink would just about kill me including any beverage such as ginger ale with carbonation.

I guess my choice will be a little strange to you as I would prefer to go to a doctor and make him rich rather than trust my health to someone on a message board.
I have to agree with you. I used to drink a glass of orange juice everyday, not anymore since I have AR, man I burn for a long time when I drink any citrus, the acidity just kills me. I can't eat bananas anymore either. Peperoni is another food I can't eat, but I can eat spicy things like chili and I love my hot peppers, no problems there either.

I took aciphex before it was even on the market as samples from the doctor, did not work for me. Only thing that gives me relief and quick if I have an attack is chewable malox tablets. Always have them on hand.

Like said, everybody has a different cure.

Mark

1965 GTO: 467 (Built By Dan Willever), 400 Block, Eagle 4.25 Stroke, Eagle 6.8 Rods, BRC Pistons, Custom Grind Hydraulic Roller Cam, Edelbrock 72cc Heads Ported, HS Rockers, Doug's Headers, Edelbrock Victor 4150, QTF 850 Carb, TCI Flex plate, AutoGear M22 4 Speed, SPEC Clutch and Pressure Plate, 12 Bolt 3:73 Posi.

Old 12-03-2009, 06:23 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 62Lemans
its your gall bladder not producing enuf bile to process the fats in the food and thus you 'reflux' the stuff!!.
First thing first,get the physiology correct,the gall bladder does'nt produce any bile itself,none,zero,zilch,nada,your liver does that for you,the gall bladder just stores (and concentrates) any excess bile that the digestive tract does'nt need @ any given time,then releases it when needed,like after a meal or such.

You can get rid of the gall bladder entirely,and you'll still produce plenty of bile,take my word on that.

Second thing next,I never had a hint of AR till my gall bladder was removed due to being seriously infected,so the way I see this,your logic is indeed fatally flawed on that point.

And do note that one of bile's functions is to neutralize any stomach acids (that get passed into the small intestines via the duodenum) before they reach the ileum,so I would think if any that bile "backed up" into the stomach itself,it would reduce the acidity,not increase it.

So it would be counter-intuitive that acid reducers (like proton pump inhibitors) would solve that sorta problem for anyone,when in fact that is exactly what helps most people with cases of GERD.

It is the acid that damages the esophagus.

Now I'm not poo-pooing your suggestion here,but it's hard to take health advice from someone who does'nt even get their physiology information right on something like that.

So I'll continue doing what I've been doing,and you can worry about yourself.

Mine was first taken care of nicely with Protonix,that stuff did the trick no doubt,but have since been switched to Ranitidine (prescription Zantac) as the Dr. says Protonix is'nt really the best choice for long term treatment situations,but I still keep a supply of the Protonix around in case it flairs up bad,it has'nt done so yet,but I'm not 100% sold on the Ranitidine just yet.

Might hafta ask the doc about the Aciphex,but from what I can surmise it's in the same class of drugs as Protonix is in,so I dunno how much difference there would be between those two,though for now the Ranitidine seems to be working OK,so I'll see how it pans out long term.

Mine only bothered me at night,so I take my AR pills about an hour or two before I crash for the night,been working nicely for me ever since,only thing that'll wake me up now is really bad gas,but that only happens every so often,and I can usually figure out what's causing that,and avoid it,thus solving that problem as well.

Anyhow,as David H. say,each person is different,and that person has gotta find what works for him (or her as may be the case here),but as stated treatment is out there,and barring any physical problems causing the problems,meds can help get you back on track.

Anyhow,good luck with this.

Bret P.

In the meantime,check out the cars HERE.

Old 12-03-2009, 06:24 PM
62Lemans

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffP View Post
While it may have worked for you and even some others, I can't
believe that you think that a little lemon juice will help every single case. Lemon juice
or any other acidic drink would just about kill me including any beverage such as ginger
ale with carbonation.
I guess my choice will be a little strange to you as I would prefer to go to a doctor and
make him rich rather than trust my health to someone on a message board.
It isnt what I believe that counts, its what results you get IF you try! If you dont try
then you'll never know. Are you too cheap to take a chance on a $1. bottle of lemon
juice and then toss it if it doesnt work? You afraid that two table spoons of lj in a
glass of water will cause you more discomfort than you already have??

And your 'kind' response is why I came on in such negative manner up front.
I DID NOT TELL YOU TO TRY IT - I OFFERED IT UP AS A SUGGESTION!!

Like I said its your choice.

Old 12-03-2009, 06:25 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Ginger itself is supposed to help. Ginger tea, ginger spice, etc.
It was a side effect from my dads chemo. My mom was getting ginger root from the stores, slicing it up, and he would suck on pieces, since he couldn't take any pills. It did help.

Old 12-03-2009, 06:28 PM
62Lemans

Thank you screamin Dr Kildare!

I cuda xpctd its what you get for simply trying to help..........

Internal medicine isnt my first career Im really a brain surgeon. ;-)

Last edited by 62Lemans; 12-03-2009 at 06:39 PM.
Old 12-03-2009, 06:43 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Well,when I have health problems I research them,and being a relatively intelligent guy,I can easily follow what's going on inside my body.

Should see how the Docs react when a patient knows that sorta stuff...

I was just saying that while your suggestion may help the symptoms for some folks,it's likely not for the reasons your giving us here.

Just telling folks it's their gall bladder is totally misleading,and I feel it's wrong.

Lots and lots of folks out there living life without their gall bladders,so your explaination completely ignores that fact,and I would ask how would you explain those folks havng GERD related issues then if the gall bladder is supposed to be the reason?

And then how do you get past the fact that bile is alkaline,and would reduce the acidity in the stomach,not increase it??

I agree bile is a digestive enzyme,but it is not acidic at all,quite the opposite.

I also agree that other digestive problems may indeed contribute to GERD,though when all else is said and done,it is the stomach acid that damages the espohagus.

But it's not just the gall bladder...

Anyhow,it's been real.

Bret P.

In the meantime,check out the cars HERE.