Old 03-29-2021, 04:58 PM

Default Disc brake kit (front brakes) for 67' GTO.

Help! I've been a member here for over 15 yrs. but never posted very often. I am an older guy, not very mechanically adept. I want/need to convert my front drum brakes, to disc brakes. My car is a 67' convertible, 400 motor, power front brakes, TH400 transmission, basically stock everything. I'm trying to find a disc brake kit , that includes EVERY thing I need for this job. I would like to find one that is the simplest/easiest/no complications/etc. to install. I won't be doing the work myself, but will have it installed by a competent suspension mechanic. This car is used for weekend crusing type driving. I've been looking at various sites trying to narrow down which kit to buy. The POL kit looks like it contains all that is needed. The CPP doesn't list a Pontiac kit, but does have Chevelle kits, which MAY fit my Pontiac. Can someone please advise/provide info./recommend/etc. the kit that you have used, or recommend? Any suggestions will be appreciated. Thanks PontiacPhil.

Old 03-29-2021, 11:10 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I have a CPP kit on my '66. Here is the kit for a '67: https://www.opgi.com/brake-systems/d...r-ch22001.html

Note that you will need 15" wheels with most disc brake conversion kits.

1966 Pontiac GTO (restoration thread)
1998 BMW 328is (track rat)
2023 Subaru Crosstrek Limited (daily)
View my photos: Caught in the Wild
Old 03-29-2021, 11:51 PM
Ultimate Warrior

First, you will need to decide what wheels you are going to run.

Old 03-30-2021, 08:50 AM

Scarecrow, I'm currently running a set of America Racing VN-309 Torq Thrust, 15x7 wheels, with Goodyear Radial T/A's, 225/60r15. Does this info. help?

Old 03-30-2021, 09:41 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I converted my 67 H.O. four speed GTO from manual drum to front power disc. I purchased everything from our host (AMES). It was from "The Right Stuff" out of Ohio and everything fit great, zero issues and I was very pleased with the end results. I ran original 14" HURST wheels with no fitment issues.

Tim john---

Old 03-30-2021, 10:23 AM
Ultimate Warrior

It does.

You can run the 1969-72 OEM clone easily. Given all these companies sell the same thing, I personally would choose our sponsor, Ames, or Summit. Both have superb customer service.

Note you will need to drill out the mounting holes in your existing steering arms to 1/2".

IIRC Savitske sells Ackerman correction steering arms.