Old 04-05-2021, 09:20 PM
Senior Chief

Default 63 Tri Power

I`m looking for the factory correct routing of vacuum lines.
I removed the mechanical linkage and installing the factory vacuum set up.
I looked in the 63 service manual & master parts book but can`t see the correct routing of the vacuum lines.
My car has standard brakes, no power booster.
I installed the correct control unit in the front of the intake, the correct control assembly on the front carb & the correct vacuum switch on the middle carb.
My front & middle carb`s have vacuum ports in the rear of the base.
I am also looking for the proper vacuum source for the distributor vac advance & the vacuum line from the heater control on the dash.

Thanks KC

Old 04-05-2021, 11:39 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Front carb will have a "T" fitting on the rear. Drivers side will be plugged as you have standard brakes. Pass side will have a short hose to a check valve (90 degrees) then a about 4 inches of hose going forward to another "T". There should be a small bracket to support that hose. The bracket, I think, bolts to the thermostat housing bolt. A hose will come off the "T" tword the pass inner fender to a vacuum reservoir. Other side of the "T" will have a hose to go to the vacuum thermostatic control you put on the manifold.

Center carb will have a short pipe to a "T" which will adapt with a short nipple on the drivers side to a hose to the distributor. Pass side will adapt to a small maybe 1/8 inch tube about 6 inches long which bends upward a the end for the hose to the heater control.

I can't get any pictures from where I am. Maybe later.

Old 04-06-2021, 08:41 AM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by pfilean View Post
Front carb will have a "T" fitting on the rear. Drivers side will be plugged as you have standard brakes. Pass side will have a short hose to a check valve (90 degrees) then a about 4 inches of hose going forward to another "T". There should be a small bracket to support that hose. The bracket, I think, bolts to the thermostat housing bolt. A hose will come off the "T" tword the pass inner fender to a vacuum reservoir. Other side of the "T" will have a hose to go to the vacuum thermostatic control you put on the manifold.

Center carb will have a short pipe to a "T" which will adapt with a short nipple on the drivers side to a hose to the distributor. Pass side will adapt to a small maybe 1/8 inch tube about 6 inches long which bends upward a the end for the hose to the heater control.

I can't get any pictures from where I am. Maybe later.
That`s good info. Pics would be great if possible.
Anyone make the 90 degree check valve?
Thanks KC

Old 04-16-2021, 12:09 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Finally back in town and had a chance to look through some of the stuff. Maybe you already figured out what you need. Maybe not, but this may take a couple of posts. I found I no longer had some of what I thought I had. Must have let it all go a few years ago when I traded with Mike at pontiactripower a manifold with a date code he needed for some linkage parts I needed.

I will attach a parts book picture and parts list for 64-66 tri power. Maybe that is the one you already have. The fuel lines are different but I think the throttle and distributor vacuum are about the same.

You would need part 39 to mount to the pass inner fender. Part 58 at the back of the front carb is probably unobtainable except very used. With no power brakes you would need 59 to block that off. Hoses 30, 31 should be available but the 4 clamps (i.e 32) are the kind with a little loop on the side to squeeze closed with a pair of end nippers. I thought I still had a support bracket 46 but couldn't find it. It mounts off the thermostat bolt and would need a clamp to hole hose 30. The adaptor "T" 34 is also probably made of unobtanium due to the odd offset of the T arms. Maybe the vacuum check valve (27) is available as a brake booster replacement part with the 11/32 hose fittings.

I may have overloaded this post so will do the dist vac in another.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	64-66TriExpodView.jpg
Views:	240
Size:	75.2 KB
ID:	564843   Click image for larger version

Name:	64-66TriPartsList.jpg
Views:	187
Size:	114.0 KB
ID:	564844  

Old 04-16-2021, 12:31 PM
Ultimate Warrior

For dist vacuum you will probably also need to feed vac to the heater also. That is part 25 and 60. Pictures attached from a couple of carbs (62 for P8 has hot idle comp. and a 64 for T8) as one picture is missing part 64 to the distributor. Other picture has it in place. I think it is available from pontiactripower. Looks like the small pipe to feed the heater has been abused from years on a shelf. The "T" off the carb base (63) can probably be made from parts store pieces. A little brass pipe and a "T". Although the fitting for the heater vacuum (60) may make that also unobtainable. I'll add a couple of pictures of that also.

Maybe Dick Boneske can help you with parts.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	TriPCenVac1.jpg
Views:	222
Size:	52.9 KB
ID:	564846   Click image for larger version

Name:	TriPCenVac2.jpg
Views:	239
Size:	50.2 KB
ID:	564847   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1897.jpg
Views:	250
Size:	48.5 KB
ID:	564848   Click image for larger version

Name:	VacuumFit.jpg
Views:	250
Size:	57.1 KB
ID:	564849  

Old 04-16-2021, 07:56 PM
Boost Engineer

If you can store the image on a word file or excep file and make the image much larger you can easily determine the routing of the different lines/ connections, metal parts.

The Pontiac Designer who drew that exploded view was an extremely capable draftsman.

Tom V.

Despite small distractions, there are those who will go Forward, Learning, Sharing Knowledge, Doing what they can to help others move forward.
Old 04-16-2021, 08:29 PM
Senior Chief

Quote:
For dist vacuum you will probably also need to feed vac to the heater also. That is part 25 and 60. Pictures attached from a couple of carbs (62 for P8 has hot idle comp. and a 64 for T8) as one picture is missing part 64 to the distributor. Other picture has it in place. I think it is available from pontiactripower. Looks like the small pipe to feed the heater has been abused from years on a shelf. The "T" off the carb base (63) can probably be made from parts store pieces. A little brass pipe and a "T". Although the fitting for the heater vacuum (60) may make that also unobtainable. I'll add a couple of pictures of that also.

Maybe Dick Boneske can help you with parts.

I now have everything except the vacuum can and the 3 way fitting #538962 by the front of the intake. You can see it all the way to the right in the pic.
John in FL had some original parts.

Thanks for the help.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_1554 (1).jpg
Views:	216
Size:	76.6 KB
ID:	564884  

Old 05-05-2021, 08:25 AM
Senior Chief

Default Done

Got my 63 Tri Power all sorted out.
The vacuum even works like it should.
Just need a correct can.
Big air cleaner in the trunk for now.

Sorry can`t turn pics upright for some reason.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20210502_132528.jpg
Views:	191
Size:	60.9 KB
ID:	565945   Click image for larger version

Name:	20210502_132548.jpg
Views:	177
Size:	57.8 KB
ID:	565946  

Old 05-05-2021, 10:39 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I have seen vacuum tri power users go with out the vacuum reservoir and never think they were missing anything useful. Just makes it look right. With all the parts new and clean I can see why you use the small air cleaners. I have a K&N round set but prefer the appearance of the large air cleaner. But my carbs should be re-plated to really look good.

Old 05-05-2021, 10:44 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Here ya go A C,

I love the factory Vacuum Linkage, as you rarely see it today.

Chris.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	714C8329-53B0-41D9-BF01-9AFBA9BBD45D.jpeg
Views:	228
Size:	141.1 KB
ID:	565956   Click image for larger version

Name:	44778559-9507-429D-8803-F0DE6577BEAA.jpeg
Views:	288
Size:	145.6 KB
ID:	565957   Click image for larger version

Name:	9FC4DAC8-2416-4A1D-9B81-31D77A60D534.jpg
Views:	265
Size:	112.4 KB
ID:	565958   Click image for larger version

Name:	8B24A6AB-4180-4785-A118-0CC7C2546FA0.jpg
Views:	202
Size:	104.0 KB
ID:	565959  

1) 65 GTO Survivor. 43,440 Original Miles. “Factory” Mayfair Maize Paint with Black Pinstripe, Black Cordova Top, Black Interior, OEM Numbers Matching Powertrain. Purchased from the Lady that bought it new. Baltimore Built (11A).
2) 66 GTO Survivor. “Factory” Cameo Ivory Paint with Red Pinstripe, Red Interior. OEM Numbers Matching Powertrain. Tri-Power (OEM Vacuum Linkage), Automatic "YR" code (1759 Produced). Fremont Built (01B), with the Rare 614 Option.
Old 05-05-2021, 10:52 AM
Senior Chief

Quote:
I have seen vacuum tri power users go with out the vacuum reservoir and never think they were missing anything useful. Just makes it look right. With all the parts new and clean I can see why you use the small air cleaners. I have a K&N round set but prefer the appearance of the large air cleaner. But my carbs should be re-plated to really look good.
The front & rear carbs would not open so I installed a old can I had from a Judge and it works good now.

Old 05-05-2021, 10:53 AM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by 60sstuff View Post
Here ya go A C,

I love the factory Vacuum Linkage, as you rarely see it today.

Chris.
Thanks & very nice.