THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Old 05-12-2021, 04:09 PM

Default Anyone use a bluetooth scan tool like BlueDriver ?

I dont have any problems with my 2 OBDII vehicles at this moment but seems like a good tool to have around in the tool box. I like that it can be used with your phone or tablet. I was looking at the reviews on Amazon and seem to be favorable. Just wanted to see if anyone had any real world experience with the product or another Bluetooth scan tool that works well.

Old 05-12-2021, 04:27 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Yep, I have a Blue Driver, love it, well supported and it seems to be totally glitch free. I've had one for about five years now. I was an early adopter and the company even sent me an updated version to test out for free.

Old 05-13-2021, 07:42 AM
Senior Chief

I use this one, and the Torque app on my phone:

https://www.amazon.com/BAFX-Products..._bap_d_rp_26_i

Does the standard OBD2 stuff, but no ABS, Airbag, etc. You need to buy a real scanner for those items.

The Torque app is very nifty, easily configurable, and the info can be very interesting as you drive down the road, watching the graphs and displays, being totally distracted from paying attention to the road and your surroundings...

64 F-85
72 4-4-2 Mondello's VO Twister II
84 Hurst/Olds #2449
87 Cutlass Salon
54 Olds 88 sedan
Old 05-13-2021, 11:10 AM

Do either one of these bluetoth scan tools give real time air fuel ratio?
Do you guys keep these plugged in all the time or just for an occasional diagnostic check? To piggy back off of the used car post, this would also be a good tool in buying a used car

Old 05-13-2021, 11:34 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I just use it for checks. Not sure if it has air/fuel. It does have some weird stuff, like the percentage of ethanol in the fuel.

Old 05-14-2021, 11:13 AM

Great thanks I figure for 99.99 how can I go wrong, this tool hopefully makes working smarter not harder a reality

Old 05-17-2021, 01:54 AM

Red face

I have a drawer full of the BlueTooh adapters (both small and large from various companies)

Mainly cause I keep forgetting them in customer cars lol

For quick scans, I use DroidScan as it's faster than Torque, but Torque does have way more scanning features for live data.

If I need more detail or have to flash, I go with TechStream, Modis or Maxxis

In most cases, DroidScan or Torque works just fine

I remember many years ago when I first started using the BlueTooth adapters, a German couple came to my shop with a Mercedes Sprinter/Camper

They didn't speak a word of English and the husband tried to explain to me that it had a Check Engine Light and that the engine didn't have any power (limp mode)

I was already swamped with work and didn't really have time for a proper check, but I tried telling him that I'd run a quick scan to see what the problem may be.

They didn't understand what I was saying, so I used Google Translator to tell them in German and they said ok

They didn't see when I plugged in the adapter and I got the DroidScan app running

The wife just rolled her eyes probably thinking I was just sitting there wasting their time playing on my phone

Came up with a PO234 Code (turbo overboost) and of course they were baffled when I showed them the details on my cell, so I used the translator again and told them I didn't have the time to put it on the lift to check for boost leaks, but that I could try to clear the code and see if it would get out of limp mode.

Cleared it and it immediately got the pedal back

Used the translator again to tell them to go for a test drive, but to keep it out of boost to avoid throwing another code.

They went for a spin and came back about 15 minutes later happy as can be

Then the husband used the universal hand gesture for "how much?"

Told them no charge as I was just happy to use app for the first time.

Again they looked confused, so I had to use the translator to tell them no charge and to enjoy their vacation.

Both gave me a hug and went on their way.

The next day, they showed up with their daughter who was going to UCF at the time and spoke perfect English.

She said her parents were very grateful for the help and were amazed that I fixed their camper with a cell phone lol

Then they gave me a big gift basket full of German chocolates, cheese, bread, cookies, etc.

Since then, the daughter has been coming to us for routine service on her own car.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to 98 SNAKE EATER For This Useful Post:
Old 05-22-2021, 11:15 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Great tool for my BMW.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07RTJYLQ8...v_ov_lig_dp_it

Old 05-23-2021, 03:06 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Do you know if that will insert code like turning off the start/stop function?