Old 03-09-2011, 10:59 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Send a message via AIM to 3 Deuce 64
Default 1964 GTO - Tri Power 4 spd Convertible Registry

1964 GTO - Tri Power 4 spd Convertible Registry: If you own one of these rare GTO's, please PM me and I'll PM you my e mail address or try desaljr@yahoo.com ( not checked daily ) to join the registry.
To be a member you must document with PHS that your car is a factory original Tri Power 4 spd convertible.Once verified members with have access to the documentation collected.
Not only will it be interesting to see what options these rare cars were originally equipped with, but it is also our goal to learn exactly how many of these fine examples are still in existence today. Cars can be in any condition to join the registry. Thank You ! Don

Old 03-09-2011, 01:56 PM
Senior Chief

Default 64 Converts

Don

why not make this a sticky?

64 GTO convertible, gone but not forgotten
76 CB750K
72 CB350F

" why yes, I am old school, so what?"
Old 03-09-2011, 02:05 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Mike said he would

Old 03-09-2011, 06:08 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Don -

Saw this one on ebay. Currently a tripower 4 speed convert (It says PHS documented but does not include pictures of the docs):

K

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...76223962846904

'74 Chevelle - original owner, 9.85 @ 136 mph besthttp://www.superchevy.com/features/s...hevy-chevelle/
My Pontiac Story: http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...d.php?t=560524
"Intro from an old Assembly Plant Guy":http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=342926
Old 03-09-2011, 10:17 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I've always wondered, just what is the purpose of a registry?

One can never ever hope to gather a statistically relevant number of samples to reach any sort of conclusion regarding the type of color, trim, drivetrain, or option content of any mass-produced vehicle. Unless that vehicle is a small portion of the population to begin with, like '69 Trans Am convertibles.

Learning exactly how many are still left is also an exercise in futility. There are cars in garages, barns, storage units, behind houses, in salvage yards that will never be identified for a list like this.

Old 03-09-2011, 11:03 PM
Boost Engineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtoric View Post
I've always wondered, just what is the purpose of a registry?

One can never ever hope to gather a statistically relevant number of samples to reach any sort of conclusion regarding the type of color, trim, drivetrain, or option content of any mass-produced vehicle. Unless that vehicle is a small portion of the population to begin with, like '69 Trans Am convertibles.

Learning exactly how many are still left is also an exercise in futility. There are cars in garages, barns, storage units, behind houses, in salvage yards that will never be identified for a list like this.
X2

Basically does little and gives out info that some do not want to give out. I remember when Jim m was going through all of the PHS documents looking for RA-II birds to buy.

Tom Vaught

Despite small distractions, there are those who will go Forward, Learning, Sharing Knowledge, Doing what they can to help others move forward.
Old 03-09-2011, 11:12 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Smile Purpose - FUN!

It's just another aspect of a hobby, and people will always be curious as to how many they can find/authenticate of limited models of guns, coins, or GTO's. Heck I would like to know how many unaltered original 66 Tri-Power Automatics "YR" are still in existence since only 1759 were built. In 20 years of watching, asking and phone calls I only know of 4 to 6. I'll keep looking because it's "the thrill of the hunt".

Old 03-10-2011, 03:40 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 60sstuff View Post
It's just another aspect of a hobby, and people will always be curious as to how many they can find/authenticate of limited models of guns, coins, or GTO's. Heck I would like to know how many unaltered original 66 Tri-Power Automatics "YR" are still in existence since only 1759 were built. In 20 years of watching, asking and phone calls I only know of 4 to 6. I'll keep looking because it's "the thrill of the hunt".
exactly Thank you I couldn't have said it better ! How many have I actually seen in person other than mine 3 . I had documented 12 or so about 14 years ago but didn't do names etc and some were auto . Bill has documented 19 65s so far. I have 3 64s documented and know of a few more.
As long as we are dreaming I would like to know how many 67 GTO vert auto on the column bucket seat 2V cars are left. I thought I read there were only a couple hundred of those built. Is it a high demand car not really but it is rare and odd as far as production numbers.

Old 03-10-2011, 03:53 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 60sstuff View Post
It's a hard top but ... PM me
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Recovered_JPEG Digital Camera_9462.jpg
Views:	500
Size:	93.6 KB
ID:	237174   Click image for larger version

Name:	Recovered_JPEG Digital Camera_9466.jpg
Views:	523
Size:	81.9 KB
ID:	237175  

Old 03-10-2011, 11:36 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Since I am the original guy who came up with the 65 Registry, and Bill Murrell graciously was the first to come on board with the idea, I will answer.

None of your f.... business.

Old 03-10-2011, 11:57 AM
Ultimate Warrior

It's a joke.

Actually, the first consideration was to get a possible sub-group of guys with a common interest and get to know some different people. That has worked out famously for the 19 cars, owners we have found. We have discussed a webpage, and a gathering of our cars in the future.
Another ,the second, is I haven't seen many real factory 3x2 4 speed convertibles
in my 24 + years in the hobby. So, with Mr. Murrell's talents, we embarked on finding as many as possible. Both of us have found way too many 4 b. dconverted cars. Fine, no problem, but, they aren't original. I asked Jim Mattison before embarking on this, what his educated guess was, after all, he holds the info, and he said,"alot" have come his way. That term needs some definition for the curious.
One great addition to our group is Jim Mott, who, along with Scott Tiemann, is one
of the great restorers of our cars in the world. Jim has found alot of the 19 cars we have booked. It is interesting to see the various ways the original owners ordered their cars,too.
The last thing, although we have found some "tags in envelop guys", we can say, if we sell, rare with a reasonable number attached to the ad. Sure, many are not to be discoved, but ,isn't it always the most fun on the journey, than the end result. I
liken it to archeology, discovering the past through digging. I once calculated ,using the best available information at the time, that there were about 2250 originally built.
There are more reasons, but, at least that gives some of you an idea ,"why?"
Larry B

Old 03-10-2011, 12:01 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Don, Bill Ryder, who joined here a month or so ago, has a great 64 for your Registry. He's a greta guy, I have talked to him about 5-6 times since he joined, after losing track of him for years. PM him, I'll bet he'll be all in. He uses his name to look him up. Larry B

p.s. I'll watch out for your cars, I frequent various possible sources.

Old 03-10-2011, 02:01 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I see both sides of this issue. I emailed Don personally 'cause I'm interested in everything about the '64. My '64 4 spd convert is a 4 bbl car albeit one that was converted to T-P prior to it winding up on a used car lot in Reno in 1966. I consider that an interesting factoid, but my car is excluded from Don's registry. Still I have offered to "participate" because I think it is an interesting exercise.

Larry, your point about discovering a circle of guys with a common interest in a particular car is a very good one. That common interest helps develop a camaraderie and if some new names come on board to this forum, I welcome it.

Isn't a shared interest and camaraderie a big reason why we congregate at this forum and join such organizations as POCI & GTOAA?

I also agree with Eric's points. I don't think you will ever come close to uncovering all of the existing examples for the reasons he mentions. I made a similar comment to Bill in reference to the '65 registry. We had a friendly disagreement. No matter. It isn't so important to worry about the ones that can't be uncovered as it is interesting to see what new ones can be uncovered. Just this week I pointed Bill to a '65 that appeared in the March issue of Auto Restorer mag. Hopefully he'll get to add it to his registry and perhaps there'll be another new member joining in here.

Some hobbyists get some satisfaction in thinking their example is one of a select few on the planet.

I have always found satisfaction in expanding the circle. Along those lines, I have always been interested in the "lesser" '64 A body models since they share a lot more similarities with the '64 GTO than differences.

It is impossible to track all cars that may eventually be listed on a registry. A year or two from now, a car will be sold and the new owner will be "lost". Keeping the registry current will likely be a monumental task.

I agree with Eric, generating any statistically relevant info from a registry will be impossible.

But if a bunch of guys with similarly equipped GTOs form a registry "group" and enjoy a little camaraderie, I see that as a good thing. Keeping it so limited has the side benefit of keeping it more manageable. Just wish I owned a qualifying '64 GTO!

Old 03-10-2011, 02:53 PM
Ultimate Warrior

The only viable reason to establish a "registry" of any kind is to identify a (small) group of like-minded individuals with similarly equipped vehicles. What is done with that information is nebulous and uncertain. My main point is that forming a registry to find out exactly how many of a specific car are still in existence is an exercise in futility. That goal will never be achieved. You'll never get all owners to respond. It will take years to get even a 2% response rate.

One way to make use of a large registry is in research. If the registry can be accessed to learn of differences and likenesses in a particular subgroup, that is a legitimate advantage for the owners and researchers. Getting a large group of respondents for such an endeavor is a very hard thing to achieve though. As has been mentioned, there is no harm in trying, as long as the volunteered information is safeguarded.

Old 03-10-2011, 11:07 PM
Boost Engineer

I see no point in contributing to a "Registry" as my 64 GTO "Mechanical" Tri-Power GTO was "tampered with" by the Zone Office before I ever received it.

I enjoy reading about the "Original" Tri-Power cars as well as 4 BBL cars in this forum but do not consider my car any "better" vs a 4 bbl car.

John V brings far more info to this subject vs bs-ing with someone about how their car is more correct vs my car.

Why Pontiac did different things at KC vs at Pontiac still amazes me
when today we try and make all of the cars/ trucks exactly the same manufacturing process.

Tom Vaught

Despite small distractions, there are those who will go Forward, Learning, Sharing Knowledge, Doing what they can to help others move forward.
Old 03-30-2011, 08:32 PM
Ultimate Warrior

ttttt

Old 03-31-2011, 01:01 AM

Don, I haven't forgotten about sending the info on my 64 to you. It's been a loooong week. Walt.

Old 03-31-2011, 12:48 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Registry is underway. I'm the data entry clerk for Don. So far, 3 cars have been logged. C'mon all you '64 fans, need to catch up to the '65 Registry!

Old 03-31-2011, 05:09 PM
Ultimate Warrior

John , did you guys gtet in touch with Bill Ryder? He as mentioned,has a really beautiful one. PM me, I have talked with Bil several times, a great guy, and I will give you his home phone #. I would wager he would be delighted. Larry B.

Old 04-05-2011, 12:42 PM

Default Car for sale in the Legend

There is a '64 convertible GTO with tripower & 4spd for sale in the April edition of the Legend. Owner is Cleve Thurber and can be contacted at clevethurber@gmail.com or (313) 886-2805.

Bill