Old 04-21-2017, 05:54 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default It's Alive!!

I got the motor in my 50 to fire up for the first time in over 20 years this afternoon. It ran for just a few seconds on starter fluid but it sure did give me a boost. I need to drop the gas tank, flush, clean and coat it, flush the lines and rebuild the fuel pump. I have a rebuilt carb to put on it. Hopefully it will move under it's own power in the next month or so!
Thanks for all the help with the electrical side of it.

Old 04-21-2017, 08:25 PM

Excellent!

Old 07-05-2017, 10:24 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Isn't it funny how life gets in the way of your projects? The wife decided she wanted to replace the carpet and old hardwood with all new hardwood so I got to remove the quarter round and after the new flooring was installed I got to put new quarter round down and paint it and the trim in four large rooms. Then, she wanted a couple new cabinets for the laundry room and I got to build them. I am in the process of painting them now but the high heat and humidity are making that task very difficult. Hopefully, they will be done by this weekend and then I can clean up my shop and get back to my project.
On another note, the 50 parts car behind my shop cranks up and goes in gear (automatic) so I have a donor drivetrain for the 39 sedan that I will get to after the 50 is road worthy.

Old 07-05-2017, 10:29 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Sounds like you need to send the Wife on a Cruise...

Still have my 1st Firebird
7th Firebird
57 Starchief
Old 07-06-2017, 10:37 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Women and projects. Seems like they can sit around and dream up things they want. (HGTV doesn't help.) And as soon as they have decided what you should do the project is complete in their mind and they wonder what's taking you so long while they are sitting around thinking up the next project. And as for your projects - those are no worth discussing.

Old 07-06-2017, 04:27 PM
Ultimate Warrior

The 39 Pontiac is going to be her car! But, my 50 will be done first!

Old 12-02-2017, 11:04 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Where does time go? I still haven't gotten my shop cleaned up so I can get back on the 50. Instead I decided I needed to put a shed roof on the side of my shop so the 39 would be out of the weather more than it is now with just a car cover on it. I started that project two months ago and just got the roof rafters up today. Still have to deck it and put the shingles on.
I did find a rare part for my 50 at the swap meet in Moultrie. Ga. a couple weeks ago. It's an Edmunds Custom aluminum dual carb intake for a straight 8 Pontiac motor. I have already started to polish it but it's going to be labor intensive as it has a lot of minor gouges in it,
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	edmunds 1.jpg
Views:	169
Size:	77.6 KB
ID:	469256  

Old 12-03-2017, 12:44 AM

Neat! Finding any hot rod parts for the straight 8 is tough. I can't tell from the picture, is the Edmunds logo still on the intake or has it been ground off?

This is a link to a post I made some years ago, showing a 1936 Pontiac custom with an Edmunds equipped flathead 6. http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...hlight=edmunds

Old 12-03-2017, 12:57 PM
Ultimate Warrior

At least your side projects have some bearing on the car project.

Is that one of the Edmonds water heated units? I think I see some very strange looking water hose nipples on it. Always kind of wanted to see how the water heated manifolds worked in use. Seems like they would be a little slower in getting the choke to open fully.

Old 12-05-2017, 10:27 PM
Ultimate Warrior

It still has the logo on it and it is a water heated intake. The stock intake was bolted to the exhaust manifold and used heat from it to operate the choke.
Down here in south Georgia there isn't much need for a choke so, hopefully I won't have any problems.
I need to find a couple Carter carbs for it but that is down the road. Right now I am working on getting the intake cleaned and polished. And that will be a labor intensive job.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	polished intake 5.jpg
Views:	140
Size:	83.5 KB
ID:	469500  

Old 12-06-2017, 11:34 AM
Senior Chief

Thumbs up

Very cool, do you have some pics? Whats the plan for the 39? It's great to see some older pontiacs get some love !

97 F250 7.3 turbo diesel
85 CJ7 Laredo
65 Impala SS 396, 4 spd, A/C.
Old 12-06-2017, 11:50 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by moneypit View Post
Very cool, do you have some pics? Whats the plan for the 39? It's great to see some older pontiacs get some love !
I am still in the thinking about it stage on both cars. My wife wants the 39 so it will probably be done the way she wants it.
I would like to do a period custom on the 50. Lowered, wide whites, tuck and roll interior and things like that.
I am not going the route I took with my 67 GTO though. I plan on doing as much as I can on this car.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	front 1a.jpg
Views:	172
Size:	93.9 KB
ID:	469573   Click image for larger version

Name:	side 1.jpg
Views:	172
Size:	56.4 KB
ID:	469574   Click image for larger version

Name:	front 2.jpg
Views:	160
Size:	68.9 KB
ID:	469575   Click image for larger version

Name:	side.jpg
Views:	171
Size:	79.4 KB
ID:	469576  

Old 12-07-2017, 10:52 AM
Senior Chief

Yeah, it's a tough call. It all depends on what you want out of them. Is the 39 an 8cyl car as well? it appears to have the longer nose in the pics.

97 F250 7.3 turbo diesel
85 CJ7 Laredo
65 Impala SS 396, 4 spd, A/C.
Old 12-07-2017, 09:19 PM

I love those fastbacks. When I was a teenager in the 1970s, there was a little old lady in my town who had a 1950 fastback that was in mint condition - truly one of those cars that only got driven to the grocery store and to church. I've often wondered what ever happened to that car.

Old 12-07-2017, 09:29 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by moneypit View Post
Yeah, it's a tough call. It all depends on what you want out of them. Is the 39 an 8cyl car as well? it appears to have the longer nose in the pics.
Yes it is. I have a parts car that will donate it's straight 8 to the 39.

Old 06-22-2018, 11:47 PM
Ultimate Warrior

It's only been 6 months since I posted here. I had a cervical fusion done in March and was just released by the doctor last Wednesday to go back to work on light duty. So, I took the rest of last week and all this week vacation time and did some things around the house. I painted a set of rims black and had some inexpensive tires put on them. Then I jacked up the drivers side and put two of them on the car. Just seeing it with new shoes was a boost and got me back into it. I bought 4 new wheel cylinders and ordered a gas tank and sending unit for it today. I hope to have the car running in a month or so.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	new tires 2a.jpg
Views:	171
Size:	64.5 KB
ID:	486136  

Old 06-23-2018, 02:11 AM
formerly 'Pontiac Jack'

Old cars are great therapy!

Old 07-01-2018, 09:26 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I got the new tank installed temporarily just to make sure it would fit. I had to alter the brace on the bottom of the trunk pan and the J bolts but that was all. I hope to get the 6 volt electric fuel pump installed and hooked up this week but I won't use the new tank until I get the neck welded on. Instead, I will use a gas can to see if the motor will run without any problems.

Old 07-16-2018, 02:44 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Got the electric pump hooked up and started the motor the weekend before last and it ran pretty good. Then, last weekend I jacked the rear end up, cranked the motor and engaged the clutch. The motor stalled the first time but the second time the wheel started spinning. I went through all three forward gears and, after using the parking brake to stop the spinning wheel I put the tranny in reverse and it worked. I need to do a couple oil changes, clean the cooling system and rebuild the brakes and I will be ready to give it a test drive around the yard.

Old 07-16-2018, 05:03 PM
Senior Chief

Excellent news. A step at a time and you will be driving OUT of the yard and down the road.

1957 Chieftain 4D HT