THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Old 12-09-2020, 12:01 AM
Ultimate Warrior

No news from the paint shop. Car has been there since 11/14. I am going by the shop Thursday to see what's going on. Actually, I don't mind them keeping the car for a while. It is giving me time to work on the floor and trunk pans in my 50 Streamliner project.

Old 02-12-2021, 09:52 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I picked up my car yesterday. After 4 months they told me they really didn't want the job! So, I called some friends who recommended another shop in town, I took it there and the owner looked at it then said the whole car would have to be sanded to primer and be painted again. He said the paint is not adhering to the primer and showed me by using his fingernail to chip the color coat away from the primer. Then he gave me the price and I almost choked. And he said he couldn't get to it for at least 6 months.
I brought the car home, put it in the shop and covered it up until I could figure out what to do. I still had the insurance check from Hagerty so I called them to see if I should just send it back or what. I then explained what happened with the first shop and the price the second shop gave me. The Hagerty agent said just have the shop submit a supplemental claim and Hagerty would handle it. She told me what my car was insured for and that as long as it didn't go over 75% of that value I was OK. If it exceeded the 75% value the car would be totaled.
Tonight another friend (Yes, I have more than one friend!) who I had talked to called to tell me my car was on the list to be done by the painter he uses. Now, I just have to wait for the call in three or four months. I can't drive the car because I have already stripped everything I could off of it.

Old 02-12-2021, 10:42 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by fyrffytr1 View Post
Now, I just have to wait for the call
I dunno what took ya so long ta scratch it up in the first place...

Frank

Old 02-13-2021, 02:53 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I have been touching up small chips. This one was just too big!

Old 02-13-2021, 03:57 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by fyrffytr1 View Post
...I took it there and the owner looked at it then said the whole car would have to be sanded to primer and be painted again. He said the paint is not adhering to the primer and showed me by using his fingernail to chip the color coat away from the primer. Then he gave me the price and I almost choked.

... I can't drive the car because I have already stripped everything I could off of it.
That is sounding like a deep deep problem.
And does happen with many epoxy type primers if the car is final sanded and then days pass before the paint is applied.
The primer can "heal" over.
Prevention is to go back over car with scotch-brite within 24 hours of spraying.

There is no simple solution unless they can get the paint to delaminate using duct tape ripping method (think wax hair removal - YANK) or peeling methods with forced air and/or razors.
Otherwise --- probably best use of time is to media blast whole car rather than actual sanding all the paint off.
coin flip either way

Sorry to hear it
Keep us posted

The Following User Says Thank You to Baron Von Zeppelin For This Useful Post:
Old 02-13-2021, 11:26 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Baron,
Thanks for the reply. I am going to try the duct tape method on a spot normally covered by the rocker trim to see if it comes off.

Old 02-13-2021, 11:45 PM
Ultimate Warrior

If it does have a de-laminating condition on various parts of , or all of, the Car -
steam cleaner/hot pressure washer is another method
and other ways to skin cats ... birds and goats

The rockers and the affected qtr.panel are all i would experiment on for starters.
I do hope it is just a contained area problem ,
heckuva coincidence you chipped it there - if that plays out.
Good Good Luck

The Following User Says Thank You to Baron Von Zeppelin For This Useful Post:
Old 02-14-2021, 01:52 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Hey Phil,
Although it may be tempting I wouldn't recommend taking much paint off the car, even if it comes off fairly easy or you stay in confined areas. As long as it's on there it's still sealing the metal from contaminants, oil, moisture, kids sticky fingers lol. I'm not certain what kind of primer is on it.

You mentioned it's going to be a spell before they're ready, also hard to tell how much longer it will be exposed after they get it. They should be able to easily diagnose what the problem is. A possible scuff of the 'primer/sealer' that's on it? Or they may possibly want to reseal the entire car.

It will be up to them at that point knowing they'll be guaranteeing the paint. If it were me, I would rather take the paint off myself and be assured that the coating under the paint is fresh, uncontaminated and ready to be stripped off or sanded, resealed and fresh paint applied to my work.

Just my thoughts,
Frank

Old 02-14-2021, 05:28 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I am going to contact the painter and see how he wants it done.

Old 03-12-2021, 05:37 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I finally got an estimate from a quality paint and body shop and just sent it to Hagerty claims. Y'all keep your fingers crossed. I should hear back from them Monday or Tuesday.

Old 03-25-2021, 10:12 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Hagerty called me today and said they would send an appraiser out to look at my car and contact the painter that gave the estimate. She said that basically they want to try sanding the spot and doing a color match before agreeing to paint the whole car. That should happen in the next two weeks. I think she said the appraisal company was out of New York and was called Rapa or something like that.

Old 03-26-2021, 06:23 AM
Ultimate Warrior

It’s Rappa. And yes, they are located in New York state. And they, in turn, hire an appraiser who is in your area to look at your car. He or she may have no experience withe restoration practices. It can go either way for you.
I just had a battle with them and Hagarty over a car. The customer had it transported to me for repairs from another state. I finally told Rappa that I was contacting the owner to retrieve his car, and I was contacting Hagarty to llet them know I was no longer serving any of their customers. The following day Hagarty agreed to cover the full cost.
This will be the last one though. Not worth the hassle. Good luck to you Phil.

The Following User Says Thank You to 400 4spd. For This Useful Post:
Old 03-26-2021, 12:14 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Dang, that was quick. The appraiser or should I say the appraiser's wife just came by and took a lot of pictures. She asked me several questions and then told me she would give all the information to her husband who would then write up his appraisal. So, Y'all wish me luck!

Old 04-30-2021, 11:21 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Well, after two appraisers looked at the car Hagerty is denying the second claim. Looks like I will pay the difference between the $1500.00 they paid on the initial claim and the cost to strip and paint the whole car. That estimate is somewhere north of $10,000.00! I am going to set up one of those "Go Fund Me" accounts. Any donations will be greatly appreciated!

Old 04-30-2021, 11:58 AM
Senior Chief

So the original paint job was defective?

Old 04-30-2021, 04:25 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by promptcritical View Post
So the original paint job was defective?
Yes. But, the shop that painted my car over ten years ago is out of business.

Old 04-30-2021, 04:50 PM
Ultimate Warrior

It’s awful to hear that a scratch would snowball into a $10,000 + repair. Though, given the cost of materials today, that seems pretty reasonable for a complete repaint.

Old 04-30-2021, 05:38 PM
Senior Chief

That sucks.

Old 04-30-2021, 07:44 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Lots of shops pull the "defective paint" card if they didn't do it, or its not done with chemicals they prefer. Get some touch up made and drive it

Old 04-30-2021, 10:49 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Formulabruce View Post
Lots of shops pull the "defective paint" card if they didn't do it, or its not done with chemicals they prefer. Get some touch up made and drive it
I have been touching up the paint for a few years now. When I removed the top well trim from the passenger side a piece of paint about 2"s long and 1" wide fell off.
The second appraiser that came out was a retired body shop owner and he said the paint was not sticking to the primer.
Is it all over the car or just in places I will never know until the paint starts to come off.
I talked to the body shop that is most likely going to do the job and the owner said I could pitch in and help strip the paint and do anything else I can do to get the car ready for paint(reducing my cost!).