Members Helping Members help Buying a non Pontiac item, transportation help, Handy-man advice, directions, vacation ideas, places to dine, ebay and generally anything you think might help other members.

Old 03-26-2021, 10:53 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Any current or former Architects?

I have a few general questions about the general aspects of having an Architect design a custom home, and some minor engineering questions about the home I have loosely designed.

Old 03-26-2021, 11:31 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I am NOT an architect.
I do have an architectural type job that I have been doing for the past (wow it's actually been) twenty years now.

I have found that a great deal of the people doing customers drawings these days are NOT architects - as in they do not have scholastic credentials for the title.

I took a course called 'Engineering Drafting Design Technologies' which was more or less half architectural, and half civil engineering.

I have enabled the email link in my profile, and you are welcome to email me with any questions you have - I would wager that I can help you on at least some of your questions.

Quite likely one of few '70 Muncie three speed Formula 400's left.

1991 Grand Am: 14.4 @ 93.7mph (DA corrected) (retired DD, stock appearing)
2009 Cobalt SS: 13.9 @ 103mph (current DD; makes something north of 300hp & 350ft/lbs)
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to unruhjonny For This Useful Post:
Old 03-26-2021, 11:50 AM
Ultimate Warrior

For now, I'll post some questions here so if anyone else contributes they will be on the same page.

I'm designing the basic floor plan and elevations in Autodesk Revit. I guess question one is if residential architects are using this software. Next would be is it possible to have an architect (or equivalent) look at a proposed designed and offer ballpark ideas on cost to make the drawings, cost to construct (excluding site specific costs) etc.

I designed and built the home I live in now, a basic two story Colonial with garage/basement. At the time this rural town only required me to submit foundation drawings and roof system drawings, no stamp was needed.

So I've never worked with an architect. I basically need someone qualified to convert my plans into workable, approvable drawings ... and I use the term "my plans" loosely, they would only be good for approximate dimensions, desired wall and roof design, exterior coverings, details like additional slab thickness, etc. Size about 3200 sq/ft, two story, three car garage, large attached shop area. We'd like to keep it around $600K.

When it comes to what modern products that are available and their capabilities, like engineered lumber etc., I'm out of that loop for 30 years.

Location for the home would be TN. Special things I want are like 2 x 6 walls, brick exterior, hurricane hangers throughout, full basement, as much wind/storm resistance as practically possible ... so there would need to be some conversations with whomever was doing the drawings.

More than anything else, I'm a bit clueless where and how the process starts from the point at which I have created a basic design I like and want to make a reality.

Old 03-26-2021, 12:12 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Do you have a builder in mind? The builder is likely to have a "partner" architect that can work with you as a "team". Same with engineering. I'd be concerned about working with each individually. Once you start building and stuff happens, you might not want to be in the middle when "change management" happens. My son works for a construction company and his stories of managing the schedule and financial impacts of changes are horrific.

The Following User Says Thank You to Shiny For This Useful Post:
Old 03-26-2021, 12:18 PM
Ultimate Warrior

There is one question answered ... I was unsure how that relationship works, and I did want an architect that was local to the building site. I hoped that a custom house builder would have a relationship with a local architect. Finding a builder I trust in TN while I am in NY is going to be a task.

Old 03-26-2021, 12:20 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Couple of images of the house I have in mind, many details left to add, I probably have about a year to nail down something the wife and I are happy with.

Old 03-26-2021, 12:24 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I am a 4th generation builder. Have been doing so myself for over 40 yrs now. I would agree with Shiny's sentiments. I would interview some builders in the area and get a feel for what they have to offer. Going in with a realistic (and it sounds like you have one) budget is the most important thing. There are contractors that build developments of 100's of houses from 3 diff floor plans. These are the type you will probably want to stay away from. You should be able to find a good custom home builder that can walk you through the entire process with great success using your design. I wouldnt kid myself with the thought of designing with a certain type of software and having an architect 'stamp' it for approval. In the long run your budget is what it is, having a good general contractor will save you a lot of grief when all is said and done. There are as many stories of bad contractors as there are bad mechanics, but with some due diligence you can find someone that will fit your needs. There are a lot of good ones out there as well.

The Following User Says Thank You to TAKerry For This Useful Post:
Old 03-26-2021, 12:41 PM
Ultimate Warrior

As for drawing requirements, you will have to look into the local district in charge;
I am aware of some occasions around here where drawings need stamps, but those are few and far between when it comes to residential code builds - that is generally reserved for commercial projects.

I have understood that a great deal of architectural firms do use revit these days, but on occasion I still see pencil drawings.
All you would have to focus on is getting your drawings as complete as possible and have it dimensioned accurately (I say 1/8", no less).
My gut thought is that by the sounds of it, you could probably skip the architectural bill all together.

Again, check with the local requirements.

My step dad's father built a HUGE house near Sturgis, South Dakota - I was shocked at how little he needed as far as plans were concerned to get permit, and start building his last house.
There wasn't even a preliminary let alone final set of complete plans - just some incomplete pencil drawings, and it was mostly modified on the fly.
Again, this was shocking to me.
His house was nice enough that he would for several years rent it out to Steven Tyler for the Sturgis week - and live in a trailer behind the tree line during that time.
I miss him, he was an absolute hoot to be around.

As far as what engineered products are out there, I'd more over focus on what's locally available as I have understood that in different areas of the continent different products are readily available - it is my opinion that working with readily available material over special order is always a prudent move.

There are rules of thumb as far as depth of material versus reasonable max span for that depth - so if you look up a (oh lets say) brochure for Truss Joist brand I-joists, you should be able to see span charts.
Typical load for floors as far as I am aware is 40 lb-sq/ft live load, and 10 lb-sq-ft dead - so use those loads on any span chart you find.
A product that is still not common is called an "open web joist" - this is essentially a 4x2 truss that can conceal all duct work and beam work - it might be worth looking into.

If you get some drawings pretty much complete, you could ask around and you could take it a couple ways;
One way might be to find a good reputable builder, ask them who they prefer to deal with, and if they have any recommendations on local engineers or architectural firms they prefer to deal with.

Hopefully some of that helps.

2009 Cobalt SS: 13.9 @ 103mph (current DD; makes something north of 300hp & 350ft/lbs)
The Following User Says Thank You to unruhjonny For This Useful Post:
Old 03-26-2021, 08:17 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Excellent info folks. Just what I needed to learn. So my initial go-to will probably end up being the custom builder. On one of our trips down to the area I was figuring on looking around at the nicer homes being built a then checking on the various builders, and or ask local real estate agents. Around where I live now I know the good builders, know the people that live in their houses etc., makes it a lot easier, but I won't have that advantage in another state.

From an engineering standpoint, yes, I just need enough info to ensure I'm not designing something impossible, or impossibly expensive. My "drawings" would be nothing more than a general plan for a competent individual to turn into something a builder can work with. And like you say, hopefully I would save some cost by not needing at architect to design something from the ground up.

House is pretty conventional with the exception of the open floor plan on the first floor, no interior walls at all except a load bearing central enclosure for the stairs that would hopefully incorporate space for HVAC and mechanical necessities and a centrally located fireplace. So ... the second floor joists would be pretty lengthy .... in the area of probably 16 to 18', as the house is basically a 40'x40' square.

I have seen the advantages of dealing locally for as much as a person possibly can. Prevents so many problems with scheduling, people familiar with the materials, builders that are used to using said materials.

So TA .... if a person walked up to you with images like those above and said " Can you make this happen?" As a builder (not you personally), you would know how to bring it all together? I'd be more comfortable talking to a builder than anyone else.

Old 03-26-2021, 08:38 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I'm an engineer, and have worked on commercial projects with architects where Revit was used for the drawings. So, it has been done but I don't know about residential projects, and it may be region specific.

It is a pretty neat software with lots of features; I know from an engineering standpoint it makes routing pipes, ducts, conduits, etc. a lot easier since you can see them in three dimensions and make sure nothing interferes with them. I think it also has the ability to automatically generate material takeoffs as well, but am not sure about that.

Old 03-26-2021, 11:31 PM
Ultimate Warrior

As an FYI, my day job is making drawings work;
Home builders come to us, and in the case of my current employer, I am the principal truss designer;
At my last job I was one of two people cross trained to do both floor and roof designs.

Odds are, when you find a builder they will go to a company like my employer to get layouts and truss designs for permit and construction.

It is nice to see that some of my thoughts are being echoed by others eg: fidning a reputable builder as the jumping off point.
I must have taken a while to write my reply, because I didn't see any of the other replies till just now!
lol

Last edited by unruhjonny; 03-26-2021 at 11:37 PM.
Old 03-27-2021, 01:22 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I've only been using Revit about a week now but I have been working with AutoCad, Inventor, 3ds Max, Solid works etc. for decades now. Revit is impressive, saves a ton of time with it's canned windows, doors, wall configurations, roof and foundation systems, well just about everything. You can edit any of the "families", for instance you can build out your own wall system using 2 x 6 studs, any thickness sheathing, sheet rock, air gaps, insulation types, masonry exterior etc. and then use that wall in your drawings. Doors and windows can be chosen by type and size, same with doors, even garage doors, all of which can be spec'd for custom sizes. You can download "families" of products from manufacturers and use them in the drawings.

After this short amount of time I'm sure I'm not using "best practices" for the software and my project files would be a mess to a professional user, but hopefully close enough to get the fundamentals of the design across. I have yet to learn if Revit will do framing layout, would be interesting to see. It seems to avoid engineering decisions, leaving that to the engineers to decide. It was used to design the "Freedom Tower" that replaced the World Trade Center I guess. Pretty big project.

Wife is getting a bit daunted by all this, has been making noises about a ranch out in Wyoming or something, whatever she wants I guess , I'm not real picky myself, anywhere outside NY would be an improvement.

Old 03-27-2021, 09:54 AM
Ultimate Warrior

House concept looks great BTW. Wrap-around porch would be wonderful wherever you build it.

The Following User Says Thank You to Shiny For This Useful Post:
Old 03-27-2021, 10:16 AM
Ultimate Warrior

a framing layout, or roof layout will done in the software of the design program.

From my understanding, revit can be just as good as any other program;
I often get pdfs of revit drawings that still have roof and ceiling issues that have been sectioned to "miss" the problem.

Old 03-27-2021, 07:06 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Thanks Shiny.

Revit seems mostly geared toward commercial building, that's the default mode and there is a lot more commercial materials spec'd than residential. It's certainly not "plug and play" it will tell you if you try to do something the software won't do, it won't necessarily tell you if you placed a roof a foot above the walls Definitely a learning curve to produce anything useful to a builder other than basic floorplan, roof type, exterior appearance.

If you drill down though you can even pick the hardware used on doors, specific plumbing fixtures, brand of paint, etc. But I don't know if it would layout a 16" OC stud wall

Wife has got me searching for existing homes with acreage now also. We have limited number of years to enjoy what looks to be a comfortable retirement, she's not so sure she wants to make building a dream house our job for two years when we'd rather be traveling. But, I have to cover all the bases. Long as I get a large shop with a lift and room for a few cars I'll be happy.

Last edited by dataway; 03-27-2021 at 07:11 PM.
Old 03-30-2021, 09:09 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Save yourself the aggrevation, My house is very similar to your drawing, I have a 4 car garage and a 24x 64 outbuilding. Send me a deposit and its all yours. LOL.

Old 03-30-2021, 11:28 AM
Ultimate Warrior

We may end up doing something like that It appears all the nice large land lots already have houses on them. We want minimum 20 acres up to a max about 200. Any lots that size that are good land already have a house on them after 300 years of people in this country looking for nice places to build houses. We've lived on a cold mountain for 30 years, so cold mountains are out, wife doesn't like deserts, basically looking for scenic rolling hills, some woods, some pasture land.
Had hoped for TN, but prices are getting very high there with all the east coast people fleeing the cities. AR looks like you can get far more for your money, same with OK. Thought about WY ... but the "good" land there is quite expensive. The search will continue for probably a couple of years. A generational transfer of wealth will take place in the not too distant future that will basically allow us to live anywhere in the world and I'm not use to having choices.

Old 03-31-2021, 08:48 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Have you thought about North Carolina. Not sure but it may be a tax friendly state as well.

We get cold here too, my wife is ready to head to the Keys, but I dont want to go that far south. My brother is looking at land in NC presently, he will be retiring before me so I will see so how it goes with him. I may end up in that area as well. Def gonna downsize though, I would be happy with a kitchen/family room and a bedroom/bath. Then about a 30' x 60' garage

The Following User Says Thank You to TAKerry For This Useful Post:
Old 03-31-2021, 11:32 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I've had several custom homes built over the last 25 years in different areas of the country, and each experience has been different. I will say that finding the right builder makes all the difference, especially if you're new to the area or are not plugged in, in which case, it's impossible to be your own GC without running into costly problems. With the last two, I found retired/semi-retired paper, ruler and pencil type architects (through builders), who did the jobs on the side at home for a flat fee...and being local, they were also able to hire the engineers and walk the plans through the approval/permitting process, which I paid for on a cost basis. Neither could draw an elevation, but both homes turned out beautiful, and in both cases it was much more cost effective and enjoyable than working with a firm. I also negotiate with builders to do cost plus fee (based on a % of the total of initial bids). Might seem risky given that cost of building materials is skyrocketing right now and you pay actual cost, but with a fixed price agreement, cost increases tend to get passed down to you in other ways.

Old 03-31-2021, 11:37 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I'm the same, don't care much about the house as long as it's well built and mechanically sound. However, shop space and accommodations must be top notch

I grew up in TN and I don't want to go any farther south than that, too hot and humid for me. State income tax will probably be an issue, all our income will be from investments and that kind of income can be taxed pretty heavily in some states. Even TN with zero earned income tax has a 1% tax on investment income.