Old 04-05-2021, 08:02 PM
Senior Chief

Default Clones, tributes, sorta kinda...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skippy597 View Post
I'm not trying to come off abrasive or anything I was just curious what everyone's thoughts were on the subject.

Can we all agree that anything is better than looking under the hood and finding an LS engine

But once again your car your way

Absolutely, you paid for it, the “critics” didn’t. When I had my 67 “GTO wagon” I got pretty sick of all the smart asses informing me that Pontiac never made a GTO wagon, or the more typical comment “Nice badges...”.

Now with the ’69 LeMans coupe I recently purchased, the previous owner had completely removed all of the badges, every single one. It looked a little too empty for my taste, and I’ve actually had a few people ask me if it was a Cutlass (Shock, horror! ). So I couldn’t resist putting a couple of badges on the trunk to clarify that it’s a Pontiac. However, instead of the typical GTO emblem, I went a different direction that leaves all but the most knowledgeable Pontiac enthusiasts scratching their heads:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by Vid; 04-05-2021 at 08:10 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Vid For This Useful Post:
Old 04-05-2021, 09:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid View Post
Absolutely, you paid for it, the “critics” didn’t. When I had my 67 “GTO wagon” I got pretty sick of all the smart asses informing me that Pontiac never made a GTO wagon, or the more typical comment “Nice badges...”.

Now with the ’69 LeMans coupe I recently purchased, the previous owner had completely removed all of the badges, every single one. It looked a little too empty for my taste, and I’ve actually had a few people ask me if it was a Cutlass (Shock, horror! ). So I couldn’t resist putting a couple of badges on the trunk to clarify that it’s a Pontiac. However, instead of the typical GTO emblem, I went a different direction that leaves all but the most knowledgeable Pontiac enthusiasts scratching their heads:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Love it! Great car!

I just don't know why people get caught up with preconceived notions of what a certain car should be.

I agree there is nothing wrong with a nice tempest or lemans but I don't want a restored lemans or tempest. There is nothing wrong with a gto clone or a true 242 car or a t37 or a wagon or a gto wagon or... Etc etc. Everybody has a taste so whatever suits them.

Personally I like cars that are original maybe done with a subtle difference like a color scheme that is unique or something that never came from the factory and is completely different. My car will probably be something die hard pontiac heads with hate but something else that old school hot rodders will appreciate. But none the less it will make me happy and I hope your cars make you happy too.

Old 04-05-2021, 10:59 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
I'm not trying to come off abrasive or ...
I don't think you're coming off as abrasive, but I do think many are wondering why you're somewhat dismissive of the opinions you requested. Circa 1998, real 242 in primer. No exterior badging, Buick wire wheel hubcaps over Rally IIs, "NOT A STEP" stenciled on the fenders. And construction site mud on every body panel including the roof. Pretty sure I'm a not a conformist...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid View Post
I went a different direction ...

It's a '70, ya big dummy. Just look at the tailpipes.

Old 04-06-2021, 12:49 AM

Yup my car my way is the preference.. Mine is an original GTO but have owned it for 44 years and have really enjoyed what it has "morphed" into at this point. Great to drive and happy to be in it... ;-)

9" done. EZ EFI 2.0 with FAST dual sync distributor and separate nitrous system done. Track is at 4300 ft elevation. so far a best of 11.95@116. Suspension now getting dialed in...tubular front a arms with dual adjustable coil overs HR Parts n stuff rear bar and whole car lowered 3 inches..
Old 04-06-2021, 01:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 242177P View Post
I don't think you're coming off as abrasive, but I do think many are wondering why you're somewhat dismissive of the opinions you requested. Circa 1998, real 242 in primer. No exterior badging, Buick wire wheel hubcaps over Rally IIs, "NOT A STEP" stenciled on the fenders. And construction site mud on every body panel including the roof. Pretty sure I'm a not a conformist...

It's a '70, ya big dummy. Just look at the tailpipes.
No I'm not dismissive just don't understand it. But also I really feel I'm coming across all wrong it's really hard to convey tone of voice when BSing. I just merely wanted this as a bs session and I'm sorry if I've come off as crossed. I've been enjoying reading everyone's comments and opinions.

Old 04-06-2021, 02:18 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
No I'm not dismissive just don't understand it. But also I really feel I'm coming across all wrong it's really hard to convey tone of voice when BSing. I just merely wanted this as a bs session and I'm sorry if I've come off as crossed. I've been enjoying reading everyone's comments and opinions.
I hear ya. You might note I said *somewhat* dismissive. Words on teh interwebs get misconstrued. I believe a large part of the response's feel comes from where it was posted. 66/67 Tech is geared more towards what is correct. and year specific. Like, a question about a 72 400 would get better responses in either Pontiac Street, or 70-72 Tech. Casual banter is practically guaranteed in The Lobby, and it might go off topic. In The Clubhouse, it would quickly turn political. Posted in Pontiac Race, I totally would have told you the reproduction GTO hoods are actually lighter than an OEM flat hood.

The Following User Says Thank You to 242177P For This Useful Post:
Old 04-06-2021, 11:16 AM

Agree it should have been posted in the lobby. Rookie mistake

Old 04-06-2021, 05:54 PM
Ultimate Warrior

My 66 LeMans had a lot of the change overs to GTO before I bought it. All but the tail panel and 326 HO. It's been 10 years pretty much staying that way. It's a LE MANS.

Old 04-06-2021, 09:49 PM

The 66 Tempest/Lemans tail panel is the best. I even commemorated it on my garage wall 😂. I could imagine upgrading to a GTO hood or grills, but mine will always say Leman on the rear quarters.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	F872F05D-B49B-4D16-87FF-3E3F2DA063BC.jpg
Views:	137
Size:	66.7 KB
ID:	564232   Click image for larger version

Name:	5DD196EC-BB45-4C96-9ED6-FCE60D30762B.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	57.4 KB
ID:	564233  

Old 04-06-2021, 10:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1966Lemans View Post
The 66 Tempest/Lemans tail panel is the best. I even commemorated it on my garage wall 😂. I could imagine upgrading to a GTO hood or grills, but mine will always say Leman on the rear quarters.
Just made my night, I feel validated lol. Also sweet cherokee!

Old 04-20-2021, 07:04 PM

I live in Australia. With my 66 LeMans it had damaged quarters both side where they meet the tail light panel, and the tail light panel was bent and mangled near the taillights, with very poor previous repairs done on it. I tried for about 18 months to find a 66 Lemans tail panel cut from a wreck or someone else doing a clone, but no luck, so I have had to swap it to a GTO tail panel as they are reproduced, and I found a set of lights and louvers. It also had an engine fire at some point and the hood was bowed and wavey, so I got a GTO hood for it. BUT, it is still being badged as a LeMans as that's what it is. It's your car so do what you can and enjoy it!

--> 1966 Pontiac Le Mans Convertible, Martinique Bronze, black top, Parchment interior, alloy Rallye 2's, M/T Sportsman ST's 235f/255r with redlines, 464 (455 .040 over), Performer RPM 87cc round port heads, Butler roller cam, Edelbrock Pro-Flo 4, Ram Air 2.5" manifolds, 67 GTO Ram Air pan, 2.5" Magnaflow, Muncie M22, 3.55 Eaton Posi. <--
Old 04-20-2021, 07:35 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Personally if I had a nice clean Lemans I would keep it like that with now GTO emblems or other parts.
I rarely see a nice Lemans yet I see tons of GTO’s

Old 04-23-2021, 04:31 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I like correcting people when they call mine a GTO, and tell them it's a Tempest
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20151105_164249 -1.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	91.7 KB
ID:	565252