Old 04-11-2021, 09:27 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

So, I went up to the shop to see if I could find the receipt to hopefully get the seal part number, didn't find it, but I did find coolant leaking onto the passenger side floor mat. Great, one more thing. The heater core was rebuilt when I put it together so that should be fine, probably leaking at the heater hose connection. At least I hope so. I used those stupid spring clamps and they did nothing but leak on my Chevelles. I put those better hose clamps with the worm gear screw on the Chevelle to stop leaks. I leave the spring clamps on and just take off the worm screw clamps for shows.

Old 04-12-2021, 12:58 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Something occurred to me. And I haven't even yet inspected the pinion seal or the vent yet. But, if I want to try out the seal issue, I wonder if I could test the theory by simply prying the seal out an 1/8th of an inch and see if it seals better? If it does, then I could pull the seal and replace it with the help of a spacer with the knowledge that I'm not wasting my time. The hard part will be determining what seal to get since I have a hybrid situation with a Pontiac axle with a Chevy yoke. I plan to go to my favorite parts store full of old guys who look stuff up in books instead of store with computers and "what year make, model and engine" questions. I need to buy the seal based on dimensions, not by application. Wish I could find the receipt for when the shop last did the pinion seal!

I wonder if I left that receipt in the box with the old yoke.....

Old 04-12-2021, 06:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich-Tripower View Post
Something occurred to me. And I haven't even yet inspected the pinion seal or the vent yet. But, if I want to try out the seal issue, I wonder if I could test the theory by simply prying the seal out an 1/8th of an inch and see if it seals better? If it does, then I could pull the seal and replace it with the help of a spacer with the knowledge that I'm not wasting my time. The hard part will be determining what seal to get since I have a hybrid situation with a Pontiac axle with a Chevy yoke. I plan to go to my favorite parts store full of old guys who look stuff up in books instead of store with computers and "what year make, model and engine" questions. I need to buy the seal based on dimensions, not by application. Wish I could find the receipt for when the shop last did the pinion seal!

I wonder if I left that receipt in the box with the old yoke.....

All the major seal makers have the sizes for their seals on line if you know or want to figure out your dims by working backwards.

You can figure your own deeper alternative triple lip or mechanical seal!

Good luck.

Old 04-12-2021, 08:18 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I got a chance to get under the car tonight. The vent is clear. I did manage to break the cap on the vent so I'll have to get a new one. There are many kinds available, does anyone know what is the correct look for original? White, white with a black cap, white with a green cap, black, etc.?

More importantly what I found was that the leak was not coming from the pinion seam. The nose of the housing was dry. The underside was wet so this time it is leaking either from the filler plug or the rear cover. I'm thinking from the plug.as the rear cover was put on with a gasket and RTV on both sides of the gasket and still looks very sound. I cleaned it all off so I will take it for a short drive when it is back together and see where the leak is originating.

Oh, and about the heater core leak. I didn't see any evidence of a leak on the engine side of the firewall so my theory of a loose hose connection just got more shaky. I sure hope I don't have to pull the heat box out and have the heater core repaired AGAIN. In the interim I'll put better hose clamps on and maybe throw a couple of those GM cooling system tabs in the radiator.

Last edited by Rich-Tripower; 04-12-2021 at 08:44 PM.
Old 04-13-2021, 05:11 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Sorry, but it's likely the heater core. On '64's, the cores fail often if there is no restrictor added to the smaller hose t slow the flow into the core. I've replaced many until I figured out how to fix the problem.

Take a piece of round stock, plastic or metal, 5/8" diameter, about 1" long. Drill a hole through the center about 3/16" to 1/4" in diameter. Put that restrictor inside the small hose at either end. You'll not have the core fail again.

'64 GTO Tripower Hardtop (Wife's Car)
'64 GTO Tripower Post Coupe (My Car)
'99 Bonneville SE Sedan
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dick Boneske For This Useful Post:
Old 04-14-2021, 10:29 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Just going to order an all-white vent, I've never seen anything other than white vent tubes on either Pontiacs or Chevys.