THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Old 04-15-2021, 04:33 PM
Ultimate Warrior

There are sawmills local to me that say they will beat the box stores in pricing for soft wood dimensional lumber. They also sell hardwood dimensional air dried lumber for about the same price that box stores are getting for their twisted, warped, kiln dried white pine crap.

I saw an ad on marketplace that someone had a pile of 4X8 7/16" OSB board for $35 a sheet, I thought that was crazy, until I checked HD and it was $39 a sheet...............

1984 Grand Prix

100% Pontiacs in my driveway!!! What's in your driveway?

If you don't take some of the RACETRACK home with you, Ya got cheated

Last edited by Sirrotica; 04-15-2021 at 04:55 PM.
Old 04-15-2021, 04:41 PM
Ultimate Warrior

And I am scheming on building a small house (900 sq ft). Sounds like I can add some $$$ to estimate. FYI, real estate here in Flathead Valley MT is nuts. Almost no houses for sale. Sell same day usually. Lumber doesn't matter, all builders booked a year out. My house increased 100K in a year. My head is spinning. Have 10 unimproved remote acres here that is summer zone only too high and bad road for winter. All parcels gobbled up and it doubled in value in a year. People are buying sight unseen off the internet. I hear stories how it is this way many places, just berserk.

Old 04-15-2021, 04:51 PM

Yes many bidding wars going on over homes. The For Sale sign is barely in the ground 24 hours and offers over asking price are happening. Very strange!

~MaryAnn~ AKA "Stickybuns"
1969 Firebird 400 Convertible
1978 Bandit T/A Tribute
1977 RED TA

I'm the FiredUp PY bad girl
Old 04-15-2021, 05:24 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I’m in the middle of gutting and basically rebuilding a rental property. Luckily I bought 80% of my lumber last year, trusses, studs,OSB, ect. But I have had to buy some random supplies as needed. Last year a 2x4 8’ was about $4, now $7.79 each. 3/4” OSB was $22 a year ago, now $38.
A guy this week on one of my building forums said that 3/4” OSB was $105 a sheet by him! How? Who would pay that?

71' GTO -original 400/4-speed/3.23 posi
13.95 @ 102.1 on street tires @ 4055lbs.

‘63 LeMans- ‘69 400 w/ original transaxle. 2.69 gears.
Old 04-15-2021, 06:27 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Personally watched the price of 23/32" OSB go from $28 & change to little over $40 & change @ local Lowes in the last two months. Big stacks of it with a price sign right out the contractors entrance. Local small contractors seem to be the ones buying the bulk of it, larger roofing contractors buy in the city.

Over the last 5 years I've been at a residence & heard a few roofers tell 2 homeowners they've got to re-deck a roof with OSB over top of current 1x8 decking because it's "code". Nothing wrong with original decking. I've been up on several local roofs during tearoff's, including two of our own properties, & other than one or two damaged 1x8"s where a tree branch fell & split a piece of decking, the decking was in great shape.

Old 04-15-2021, 09:43 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I'm building an addition onto my detached garage. I held up purchasing OSB just a few months back because it was $16 for a 4x8 sheet of 7/16th. Thought it would come down to a more reasonable level when I was ready for it. Well., I need it now and It is $37 a sheet yesterday at Lowes.

Old 04-15-2021, 10:51 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

My understanding is that because of covid restrictions in the workplace, the lumber producing mills had to cut back in close contact (perhaps causing a cutback in staff) between employees therefore forcing a cutback in product. High demand plus low available supply equal high prices.

66 Chevy II 461 Pontiac in AZ
Old 04-16-2021, 07:29 AM
Senior Chief

If I put a deck on my house, it might just be metal. Who cares if it looks like a car trailer?

I was cleaning out the barn of all my dads junk. I found a perfect, 16ft long 2x12... and thought THIS IS MY RETIREMENT PLAN!!! WOOHOOO!!!!!!

64 F-85
72 4-4-2 Mondello's VO Twister II
84 Hurst/Olds #2449
87 Cutlass Salon
54 Olds 88 sedan
Old 04-16-2021, 08:13 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Anonymous View Post
If I put a deck on my house, it might just be metal. Who cares if it looks like a car trailer?

I was cleaning out the barn of all my dads junk. I found a perfect, 16ft long 2x12... and thought THIS IS MY RETIREMENT PLAN!!! WOOHOOO!!!!!!
This may not be a completely bad idea. Up until 5 years ago all I did was commercial work. We used metal exclusively for all framing. Piece for piece metal was competitive or even cheaper than wood. One reason was like mentioned in another post, HDepot is home owner driven with guys buying 100 junk studs. Metal studs are bought from a wholesale supplier usually tractor trailer load at a time so prices are really good. Then, metal prices skyrocketed and a metal stud was about twice the price of wood. Since then I have scaled back and do mostly residential and havent touched steel since, but I would be curious to see how the price of that kind of stuff is right now. In reality, my guess its just as high.

You can do all the framing in metal, still use traditional materials on the exterior, AND be rot and termite proof!

Old 04-16-2021, 09:41 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Thing is the prices go up, but they never go down. They didn’t jack up prices earlier because although it felt like a boom, it was still a little shaky, even with cheap money. Now they have a captive customer. They also may be charging the crap out of us because they know that a slowdown could just as well happen. I don’t know, but this reminds me of the late 80’s where housing prices were unsustainable and every other cost was through the roof. Wages never kept up.

Old 04-16-2021, 09:44 AM

The deck we have now is not wood, it’s more of a hard plastic not sure of the correct term, maybe composite? But it needs new railings and the old shed we keep the rototiller and garden stuff in is ready to crash.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2AF6B5AE-F4F1-439F-8E7C-08D5D5736756.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	94.7 KB
ID:	564839  

~MaryAnn~ AKA "Stickybuns"
1969 Firebird 400 Convertible
1978 Bandit T/A Tribute
1977 RED TA

I'm the FiredUp PY bad girl
Old 04-16-2021, 09:54 AM
Ultimate Warrior

If I ever build a cabin on the remote land I have up here, it may make sense to set up a field sawmill for lumber. I have lots of larch trees,

Old 04-16-2021, 10:07 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I worked for a large builder for over 26 years. During the mid 90's when there was a huge lumber shortage, the owners approached me to ask if I would consider building one of our homes out of steel. It was in January when we started. They did not want to spend the money on hiring an outside contractor to do it. They gave me one of our real good guys and two helpers. It took us 6 weeks just to get it to the the start of the roof. I told my boss ,Iam NOT going to attempt to do the steel roof in the weather conditions at that time and told him I am going to double plate the walls and get our wood trusses in to finish. He agreed. when I asked why he wanted to do this in this kind of weather, he said he needed to know if it could be done year round. It was a very cold winter that year, with lots of ice and snow. I still have nightmares about it (LOL).

Old 04-16-2021, 12:18 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Having my own metal shop I've done a lot of projects around our home that otherwise would have been done with wood.

Wife wanted an island in a certain place in the kitchen problem was there was a load bearing post there. I thought a laminated wood beam would be too tall and would divide the room too much visually. So I built this truss beam to span the 20' and support the load on the foundation walls.

Built it with 12ga square tube doubled up horizontally, with about a 1/8" crown. Put the load on it and it still has the 1/8" crown, you could probably park a car upstairs. Weighs about 275 lbs, so probably about the same as the required laminated wood beam.

The bits of color are little painted metal animals the wife stuck on it with magnets

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Kitchen-3.jpg
Views:	308
Size:	62.4 KB
ID:	564845  

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dataway For This Useful Post:
Old 04-16-2021, 02:02 PM
Ultimate Warrior

That is awesome! Nice work.

“Nothing in the world can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. The slogan Press On! has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race.”
― Calvin Coolidge
Old 04-16-2021, 02:06 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Cool.

George

Old 04-16-2021, 02:26 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I do Heating and Air conditioning, its not just lumber. PVC piping has gone up 10%, sheet metal for duct is going up 15%, copper is always on a roller coaster, Carrier equipment went up 6% Feb 4th, water heaters...forget it 10% in January and going up another 10% by memorial day.

Old 04-16-2021, 02:43 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by dataway View Post
Built it with 12ga square tube doubled up horizontally, with about a 1/8" crown. Put the load on it and it still has the 1/8" crown, you could probably park a car upstairs. Weighs about 275 lbs, so probably about the same as the required laminated wood beam.

The bits of color are little painted metal animals the wife stuck on it with magnets

You rock, dude! ****LIKE****

Old 04-16-2021, 05:26 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4dblnkldude View Post
I do Heating and Air conditioning, its not just lumber. PVC piping has gone up 10%, sheet metal for duct is going up 15%, copper is always on a roller coaster, Carrier equipment went up 6% Feb 4th, water heaters...forget it 10% in January and going up another 10% by memorial day.
Exactly, and has anyone bought gas lately?

Old 04-16-2021, 06:21 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Just bought 7/16 osb at OC Cluss 35.95 a sht. He said lowes is getting more about 40 a sht.